Majora's Mask

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
It's up there with the greatest games ever for me, along with Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. Out of those three games, it would come in third for me. Most of the game in incredible, and I have only two complaints about it.

The minor complaint: giving the moon a face was cheesy. The major complaint: STONE TOWER. Gaahhhh. That's my least favorite Zelda temple ever. It's so dreary and you have to play that same damn song so many freaking times in it and leading up to it. Not crazy about the temple boss in it either.

It has, for me, one of the most challenging sections - if not the most challenging one - in a Zelda game ever. That's the Goron room on the moon. God I fail that rolling track section so many times every time I play the game.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
PureChaos said:
A friend and I were having a debate last week about this game and it compared to other Zelda games. I don't think too much of it whereas my friend thought it was great. We started to compare it to Ocarina of Time and I thought OoT was much better, he thought MM was better due to the side quests and, granted, the side quests were better in MM than the ones in OoT but the main game wasn't that good whereas OoT was great from the start. however, the fight against Majora's Mask/Incarnation/Wrath is one of my favourite fights (when not using the Fierce Diety mask!). We then brought Wind Waker and Twilight Princess into the mix.
For me it would go MM, WW, OoT, TP
For him it was WW, OoT, MM, TP

but it was Majora's Mask that we seemed to have the biggest discussion, and difference of opinion, .

What's your opinion of it?
I loved being the green spy- I mean link with masks

I just hated the shortage of temples

and the timer doesn't really matter if you play the song of time backwards

Macheteswordgun

Jul 24, 2010
Eponet said:
Gralian said:
The hero doesn't really 'develop' over the course of the game. There is no big revelation or triforce.
That's somewhat arguable. Link's development just isn't shown through the use of dialogue due to mute protagonist status. Compare Link at the beginning to at the end.

Development:

Initially, he was the classic image of the bitter veteran. Ganondorf had been foiled, and Link was left without a place in the world. However, not only had he lost the evil he desired to fight against, but also every link to his deeds. Having been sent back in time, no one was even aware that he had ever saved Hyrule. The one person that knew about it, the one person that tied him to his heroism had left after the deed was done. He took off into what was presumably the lost woods, a suicidal mission for those without a fairy to guie them. He just didn't care about his life now that the purpose that he thought he held was over.

Compare this to how he acts at the end of the game. Over the course of it, he realises renewed purpose, and sees that he really can help others without a single overpowering evil to fight against. He leaves Termina confidently, not seeming to mind the parting at all. This is a stark contrast to the final act of Ocarina of Time in which Link seems to hesitate in passing Zelda the ocarina to send him back.

Revelation:

Over the course of the game, he comes to realise that he can live without necessarily being a hero, an act symbolised by the masks. It is worth noting that the majority of the masks that Link receives are not given for overcoming an a problem stemming directly from Majora, and several of them could have just as easily occured with or without it. The Kafei side quest's primary antagonist is a common thief, the Romani Mask is the result of saving the cows from creatures that predate the recent appearance of Majora followed by fighting off common bandits, the Bremen mask is the result of listening to a man's guilty conscience without passing judgement over him, the stone mask is from the act of giving even the most common and non-descript of soldiers the power to stand up as an individual, and so on. While in Ocarina of Time, Link matured physically, mentally he remained a child, and the experiences twisted him. Majora's Mask not only helps to heal Link's soul, but also to mature him as a person.

The final mask, the fierce diety is awarded only after Link has passed through all of the trials and come to see that he can take his place as a hero, even without a Ganon-esque figure, and then give away the masks, the symbols of those deeds. The complete opposite to how he acted back at the end of Ocarina of Time, where he futily chased after the last link.

The three masks that he refuses to give away are the transformation masks, containing the souls of the people that helped him the most, and that, in two cases, he sent to final death. This creating the idea of keeping the memories of the dead with you, but not clouding your vision.

Additionally, the appearance of the Fierce Diety itself brings its function into question. It's a transformation mask, but what is it transforming him into. It looks surprisingly like Link himself. This part is pure speculation, but I subscribe to the theory that it is in fact the physical manifestation of his own soul, and symbolising his inner maturity.
Mind=Blown @.@. As for me i would say..... i actualy like MM abiet the time limit is annoying without the cheat. But OoT is the first game i ever beat and i get beat it 100%

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
I didn't like MM because I got sick of having to start a dungeon or any other quest over because the the timer kept counting down, and losing all my equipment and rupees didn't help. Also, a lot of side quests are near impossible without a guide, something I don't recall needed in OoT, and would it have killed them to mention in game that the bank exists outside of time and space? I went through half the game not knowing that.

Eponet

Nov 18, 2009
PureChaos said:
I played ALttP recently and it was really good, seemed more like a Zelda game than MM.
From this, it seems easy to see why your opinion differed so much from your friend's. Majora's Mask is different from other Zelda games, if seeming like a Zelda game and being good are synonymous for you, then it obviously wouldn't rank very highly.

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
Love the game, some of the best Zelda music. (My favorite Zelda soundtrack anyway) It had a very eerie affect to it, the gameplay was fun, and really it was a unique and true Zelda game all on its own.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Oh, I thought it was the one of the best LoZ games I have yet to play, if not the best. The entire atmosphere of the world and the numerous unique mechanics of the game sold it too me. It is right up there with Wind Waker (another one of my favorite LoZ games) for me.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Eponet said:
PureChaos said:
I played ALttP recently and it was really good, seemed more like a Zelda game than MM.
From this, it seems easy to see why your opinion differed so much from your friend's. Majora's Mask is different from other Zelda games, if seeming like a Zelda game and being good are synonymous for you, then it obviously wouldn't rank very highly.
i was thinking about that since i posted it. they changed things for MM (not that there's anything wrong with that) but they changed things a little too much so, as you said, i wasn't as keen.

Macheteswordgun

Jul 24, 2010
Eponet said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
But the saving was bad. Restart your progress or find an owl, compared to OoT's pressing start.
It becomes especially bad when you have a damaged cartrige that likes to crash whenever the faintest breeze passes over it. One time I saved the ranch and got Epona + Bottle, collected the Zora eggs, defended Cremia from bandits, collected the captain's hat, saved Shirou, learned the song of storms, and the new wave bossa nova, and then boom, the game crashed. That was just annoying.
Think i can beat that. I was messing around in the game when my friend tried to step over the wires * i have a high bed and had to position it for the controller* and it ripped the back out and deleted all my saved data. I had every mask every bottle every item EVEN the great fairys sword all the masks everything game=100% beaten. Deleted gone forever. /epic fp

Les Awesome

Mar 29, 2010
majoras mask and spirit tracks are easily the worst zelda games by far
can't believe i actually bought them

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
i love this game soooo much! i swear, no other game compares to it!!! for example, i've got 2,000 miles to cross for a mission, any other game i'd just hold the thumb stick forward and dose off, but this game? GORON FORM HELL YEAH!!!!! side quests are awesome! 3 day limit, awesome! moon apocalypse, awesome! zora form, dungeons and final boss fight, ALL BLODDY AWESOME!!!!! and Twilight Princess runs a close second, OoT is a way back, but it's still a good game, difference is that OoT is challenging, while MM is just plain FUN!

hang on...
PureChaos said:
i thought you said OoT was much better than MM but your friend prefered the latter?

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
Les Awesome said:
majoras mask and spirit tracks are easily the worst zelda games by far
can't believe i actually bought them
how DARE you compare MM to ST!! ST sucks hell!!! they're night and day on the goodness scale!!!

nah, im kidding, you're entitled to your own opinion :D

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Diligent said:
My avatar proclaims that my opinion is not at all biased whatsoever.
I loved the game, but it's honestly really hard for me to pick between OoT or MM...so I wont.
Link to the Past is the best one. There.

Got it in one. Link to the Past is the best Zelda game, ever.

Majora's Mask was good. I preferred OoT, the variety and scale simply paid off.

MM, as many have said, is a darker, more intense game. I think the very premise of the game makes it darker than the rest - You are alone, separated from the world you know and everyone in it. You're in uncharted territory, and you have to confront something very similar to you, I suppose you could say the other side of the coin - The Skull Kid. He's a lonely child, much like Link. His way of dealing with it is to destroy, whereas Link adapts (with the multiple masks representing parts of him, and the Deity mask being adulthood, perhaps).

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Anyway, OoT had better gameplay overall, though I did very much enjoy the variety of mask forms. Majora's Mask outdid OoT in the theme and story area, but both were great games.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
interspark said:
i love this game soooo much! i swear, no other game compares to it!!! for example, i've got 2,000 miles to cross for a mission, any other game i'd just hold the thumb stick forward and dose off, but this game? GORON FORM HELL YEAH!!!!! side quests are awesome! 3 day limit, awesome! moon apocalypse, awesome! zora form, dungeons and final boss fight, ALL BLODDY AWESOME!!!!! and Twilight Princess runs a close second, OoT is a way back, but it's still a good game, difference is that OoT is challenging, while MM is just plain FUN!

hang on...
PureChaos said:
i thought you said OoT was much better than MM but your friend prefered the latter?
already raised and answered:

PureChaos said:
CheesusCrust said:
Wait a minute. You said you liked OoT better than MM and your friend preferred MM over Oot. But on your list it says you prefer MM over OoT and he prefers OoT over MM. I'm confused.

OT: I really enjoyed the game, but the overall darker atmosphere that it gave off actually made me feel less comfortable playing it. The whole 3 day time limit was always casting a shadow over my gameplay. I know the game was supposed to do this and I respect the game for it; it made it unique, but I'm much happier in sunny, non-sentient moon Hyrule
other way round, it goes from least favourite to favourite

ReaperzXIII

Jan 3, 2010
MM is definitely my favourite, the sinister smile of the moon and the skull kid, even the way the game started was very dark, it was different and tried new things and because of that it is in a way better than the other games that just repeat the same formula if you go by Yahtzee's rule of sequeling

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
It's my favorite of the Zelda games. The openness, the existential fear, the designs, the sidequests...all of it.

Wind Waker and Twilight Princess come close, but they seem to split my favorite aspects of MM. Wind Waker got the openness and the sidequests, Twilight Princess got the creepiness and design. Though both had some things of their own beyond that, too.