Make a AAA Sequel

Jan 12, 2012
I saw this thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.401336-Mass-Effect-Mercenary-Game-NOT-A-REAL-GAME] and wanted to hear more ideas like it. Without the constraints of actually having to make it, it seems like fans come up with the best ideas for games, and I want to here your pitch for the next game in an AAA franchise.

Only fair that I offer up my idea for scrutiny first: Total War: Assassin's Creed.

I seems like Ubisoft has been moving slowly but steadily this way for a while, going from collecting weapons, to managing recruits, to running the Homestead. I say they dive right in and, instead of trying to cram RPG and sim-management elements into their action-platformer, they flip it around. You are the immortal god-figure tasked with rebuilding the Assassins after some catastrophe which devastated their ranks and left the Templars in control.

You spread your influence throughout the land (the idea is generic enough to work in pretty much any time and place) by assassinating Templars, setting up outposts to funnel money and recruits to the Order, and currying favour with political, economic and cultural leaders to support your ideas. Instead of the battles of Total War, each mission (from assassination to protecting caravans) plays out like a short mission from a regular Assassin's Creed game, where you try to accomplish the objective while taking as little damage as possible (if you die in the mission, the Assassin is killed).

Your various Assassins are the family members of Total War, with various skills that are inherent and honed, and with tools and aides that you assign to them (giving you a tech tree to work on). If they are good at Diplomacy, you assign them to a royal court; if they are good fighters, they become front-line agents, etc. One of them is your Mentor/Master Assassin, responsible for running the whole operation (think faction leader). They also have Loyalty which, if it gets low enough, might result in them leaving the Order to become independent or even join the Templars.

The Pieces of Eden are also a big part of the game. You can search for Precursor sites to raid, and sometimes the game generates Pieces in the market or private hands. You and the Templars engage in all kinds of shenanigans to get them, because the Pieces provide serious benefits. For example, on a mission you could whip out the Apple and start mind-controlling people. However, if any of your Assassins has a Piece for too long, it starts to affect them, reducing their loyalty, especially if you try to take it from them. It gives the game a nice risk/reward balance for finding the MacGuffins.

So you've got really deep pockets and the ears of whatever developer you want: what is your best sequel idea?

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
I've always wanted to make a Mass Effect RTS game. Although, frankly any RTS game would be good seeing as how that genre isn't getting much in the way of games.

Also, I would like there to be a Total war game that took place in between Medieval Total War and Empire Total war, and what you could do in the game is transfer saved files from one game to another and then continue on your legacy into the next age. Or what you could also do is if I played like Venice in Medieval and I took over most of the world, I could play another faction and fight myself in the next game.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I second ME strategy, maybe RTS or TBS depending on how it's done.
Also I'd like a Fallout one... Oh wait...
Maybe a TES racing game like that one on the PS2 for star wars with babies and podracing... JOKE!
EDIT: Seriously, I think a good thing would be a CoD spin-off where they took the strike force missions, improved them, and made them a real game. They were the highlight of BO2 for me.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
For a serious response: Star Wars Podracer. I even liked the PS2 sequel (not Super Bombad Racing), though it was worse than the Nintendo 64 game. I'd really like another one of those.

For a wackier answer: Throw a dart at the wall to pick one of the many Lord of the Rings-branded games and then make an open-world RPG with a fully to-scale, achingly detailed Middle Earth.

Or any of the various Sonic racing games and make another one like Sonic R except actually good. Sonic doesn't need a go-kart, car, or hoverboard, and until he began getting faster and faster with his silly boosting, Tails, Knuckles, Rouge, Shadow, and Robotnik have all been able to keep up or beat him in straight foot-races.

Jan 12, 2012
Joseph Harrison said:
Also, I would like there to be a Total war game that took place in between Medieval Total War and Empire Total war, and what you could do in the game is transfer saved files from one game to another and then continue on your legacy into the next age. Or what you could also do is if I played like Venice in Medieval and I took over most of the world, I could play another faction and fight myself in the next game.
That sounds like it would be fun for a bit, then a nightmare. They'd have to diminish your world-spanning empire or horribly unbalance the game to prevent you from being obliterated by your Venetian legions.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
A common sense RPG.
~snip~
If you're given choices in the game, they should mean something.
Sounds like it'd be good for a parody...except maybe that last one. Nobody has yet pulled that last one off, even when they're not being satirical - and anyway, I doubt it'd stay funny for the entire game. Also, Zelda isn't an RPG, and in any case not all RPGs are even automatically obliged to give you world-spanning choices. If it's not on the back of the box, and even if it is on the back of the box, it's probably not in the game.

Also, try using the Enter key sometime. It's fun.

OT: Kingdom Hearts 3.

Wreck-It Ralph. Final Fantasy 6. Mana (any of them.) Finally wrap up the plot of the series.

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
I'd really enjoy Mirror's edge 2 as an Amnesia type game with Parkour. No combat, just escaping and sneaking. It'd be awesome.

Unrelated note: Hands up all of you who imagine the Triple A title as the name everyone would submit to the highscores of the old game.

High scores
AAAAAA: 5000
AAAAAAAAA: 3000
Edit: Better example

I've only recently remembered this.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
A 6th Wild Arms. Not a 'gritty reboot' per se (all the character cameos certainly could be taken as a sign that they wanted the 5th to be the last), but certainly a return to the cel-shading from the 3rd game except better executed.

I did like the HEX battle system, but never felt they used it to its full potential or did anything to make up for how it slows down random battles even further than usual. Instead streamline that by having large sections of dungeons broken up by Hex portions that you have to traverse to an exit/entrance point, almost like a game board. That way you don't have encounters annoying you in puzzle rooms and get to skip battle transitions. Not that the battles themselves shouldn't be more cerebral affairs, with virtually any kind of positive/negative effect applicable to a Hex as well as the potential for traps, bonuses or treasure to be hidden on them, as well as lots of enemies who try to use it to their advantage. Maybe have 'monster spawn' Hexes that can be sealed if you successfully step onto one and perform a special action, and a spell that creates new Hexes on the edge of the map.

A plot loosely based on the colonial revolution, except the British were immortal rulers with advanced robots and the game is set after said revolution is over with the charismatic rebel leader dead and Filgaia in shambles as the leader's considerably less-honourable lieutenants form battle lines and fight each other for control of land. I'd prefer a more mature hero than Dean or Jude considering this setting, but still leave some room for lighthearted-ness between battles. Optimism contrasting with cynicism of the oppressors is a defining trait of every WA protagonist except Silent Hero Rudy from the first, so even if the next one is more down-to-earth, they're still much more hopeful for the future than those they fight, and thus rally others to their faded dream of a peaceful world.

Captcha: Do it now! See, even the captcha agrees with me.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
A sequel to Conker's Bad Fur Day. A proper one, not a crappy HD rehash.

I call this game Conker's Dog Days

(Warning, the following plot is pulled completely out of my arse)

It starts a year or so after the end of CBFD, and the villagers are fed up with Conker's rule. Even as the game starts they are storming the castle to end his reign. Conker, still depressed about
Losing Berri,
wanders aimlessly around the castle, seemingly obvlivious to the mass carnage and constant attempts on his life that his castle guards keep foiling in the nick of time. The attack is repulsed, and Rodent tries to explain why the villagers were unhappy, but Conker barely notices. Scotch in hand, he wanders off down a hallway.

He stumbles on Ze Professor's old lab, and accidentally brings to life that one Tedi in the chair, who quickly escapes. The castle characters wonder what they're going to do with Conker in the state he's in, when the castle gets a visitor. It's Timber the Tiger, from Diddy Kong Racing. Conker lights up for the first time in ages and they reminisce about their old racing days. Apparently Timber got kicked out of home and is going through a rough patch too, so Conker invites him to stay. When Timber hears how Conker's been doing- he tells him he needs a purpose in life.

So Conker decided to enact revenge on the Mob Boss
who killed Berri.

He ventures out of the Castle into the wide open world, going through all sorts of adventures in different themed areas, till he gets to the Chicagoesque town run by the Mob boss, who leads the Weasels, and a rival who leads the Cats or something like that. The town is full of rabbit and squirrel townsfolk- all can be run over in a hail of bloodspray. In a mini GTA parody, Conker does jobs for the Cats to raise their standing, until he finally comes face to face with the Mob Boss and kills him.

Back in the Castle, Conker admits to Timber that he doesn't feel any better after his vengeance, but then has an idea. If he can get the game to become so chaotic that it
crashes again,
he can get a programmer to set everything right again. And I do mean everything. Timber makes a joke about newer consoles being able to handle a lot more activity, and that he'd really have to do something big-scale to make it work. Right on cue, Rodent runs up to Conker and breaks the news that the Tediz have resurfaced, and in greater numbers. Looks like the war is on again.

So Conker (and possibly Timber and Rodent too) head off to war again, this time out at sea and on islands etc, and after a lot of sandboxy war action Conker finds and boards The Tediz Capital Ship- an Aircraft Carrier. There he fights the new Tediz superweapon, and just as the fight is about to end,
the game locks up again. Conker immediately gets the programmer to ressurect Berri, restore Timber's family's opinion of him, cures Timber's addictions, if he has any, and puts Rodent on the throne, with Conker happy to live in his little treehouse/house again.

Reunited with Berri once more, there is a touching moment where they embrace, but then they either go off happy together, start bickering same as always almost immediately, or Berri asks Conker what he did with all his kingly riches, and on finding he gave them away yells "you did WHAT?" and slaps him over the back of the head. Guess things are back to normal now.

The End.

Jan 12, 2012
Squilookle said:
A sequel to Conker's Bad Fur Day. A proper one, not a crappy HD rehash.

I call this game Conker's Dog Days

(Warning, the following plot is pulled completely out of my arse)

It starts a year or so after the end of CBFD, and the villagers are fed up with Conker's rule. Even as the game starts they are storming the castle to end his reign. Conker, still depressed about
Losing Berri,
wanders aimlessly around the castle, seemingly obvlivious to the mass carnage and constant attempts on his life that his castle guards keep foiling in the nick of time. The attack is repulsed, and Rodent tries to explain why the villagers were unhappy, but Conker barely notices. Scotch in hand, he wanders off down a hallway.

He stumbles on Ze Professor's old lab, and accidentally brings to life that one Tedi in the chair, who quickly escapes. The castle characters wonder what they're going to do with Conker in the state he's in, when the castle gets a visitor. It's Timber the Tiger, from Diddy Kong Racing. Conker lights up for the first time in ages and they reminisce about their old racing days. Apparently Timber got kicked out of home and is going through a rough patch too, so Conker invites him to stay. When Timber hears how Conker's been doing- he tells him he needs a purpose in life.

So Conker decided to enact revenge on the Mob Boss
who killed Berri.

He ventures out of the Castle into the wide open world, going through all sorts of adventures in different themed areas, till he gets to the Chicagoesque town run by the Mob boss, who leads the Weasels, and a rival who leads the Cats or something like that. The town is full of rabbit and squirrel townsfolk- all can be run over in a hail of bloodspray. In a mini GTA parody, Conker does jobs for the Cats to raise their standing, until he finally comes face to face with the Mob Boss and kills him.

Back in the Castle, Conker admits to Timber that he doesn't feel any better after his vengeance, but then has an idea. If he can get the game to become so chaotic that it
crashes again,
he can get a programmer to set everything right again. And I do mean everything. Timber makes a joke about newer consoles being able to handle a lot more activity, and that he'd really have to do something big-scale to make it work. Right on cue, Rodent runs up to Conker and breaks the news that the Tediz have resurfaced, and in greater numbers. Looks like the war is on again.

So Conker (and possibly Timber and Rodent too) head off to war again, this time out at sea and on islands etc, and after a lot of sandboxy war action Conker finds and boards The Tediz Capital Ship- an Aircraft Carrier. There he fights the new Tediz superweapon, and just as the fight is about to end,
the game locks up again. Conker immediately gets the programmer to ressurect Berri, restore Timber's family's opinion of him, cures Timber's addictions, if he has any, and puts Rodent on the throne, with Conker happy to live in his little treehouse/house again.

Reunited with Berri once more, there is a touching moment where they embrace, but then they either go off happy together, start bickering same as always almost immediately, or Berri asks Conker what he did with all his kingly riches, and on finding he gave them away yells "you did WHAT?" and slaps him over the back of the head. Guess things are back to normal now.

The End.
That was beautiful. I've never understood why someone hasn't done something with the Conker license; it seems like the perfect opportunity for at least a cheap cash-in.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
A spin-off of Mercenaries on a galactic scale. Just fly around in space ships, pilot mechsuits, exosuits, and aircraft, blow shit up, get paid, and do it again, but with more violence. I'd also add more challenge like more defenses on target buildings that force you to adapt, rival mercs that can drop bombs on you and are equipped as well as you are, and wildly varying weather conditions depending on what planet you're on.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
A sequel or reboot or whatever of Freedom Fighters, by IO Interactive.

The beautiful part of it was that you were forever outgunned, but you used the weapons you had to your advantage. The enemy has a helicopter? Then take a side route and blow up the refueling station. The enemy has too many troops? Then attack a barracks to draw them away. There would always be something you could do alongside your main objective, and it filled out the game awesomely. And the character growth, oh the character growth! You start off as a plumber, just wanting to get your brother back. Then, as you get dragged unwillingly deeper and deeper into the resistance, you find yourself bound to them, until your legend becomes bigger than you are!

Something a little more tactical would be nice - the option to choose your base location, with advantages and disadvantages to each - sewers are close to the main city, so have a boost to recruitment and less travel time. However, there is almost no warning if you're found. The forest is a long way away, but provides better cover. Stuff like that.

The thing about Freedom Fighters, is that I want to see it happen again, but not just copied. Maybe it would be best for the series to not continue, and not to risk ruining the game for me.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Star Wars: Battlefront 3 in a similar style to Planetside 2. That would make me a happy, happy man. Imagine a Hoth Assault with thousands of people taking part.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
A sequel to Duke Nukem Forever. Yeah, you heard me correctly. I probably wouldn't make it a full blown AAA budget, but keep it sufficient yet tight, so that it be both on a scale similar to the Serious Sam games, yet able to justify a lower-than-average price point.

Anyways, the story. Most of it will play off a theme rather than a series of events, comparable to the the recent Muppet movie if anyone's seen that. The gist is simple: Before the events of DNF, Duke was riding high off of his own fame and ego, uncaring and oblivious to the world around him. Over his absence, however, new heroes have come to light (obvious parodies like Graham Granite, James Cost, Sovereign Commander, Matthew Phoenix, etc.), but Duke has been riding purely on his own ego at this point, and he never properly acknowledges them as the threats to his power that they are. Anyway, the events of Forever happen, and Duke accidentally screws over the world at the end of the game while the other heroes clean everything up. Public opinion of Duke drops supremely, then Duke becomes a societal outcast and must prove his relevance again by fighting a new alien menace while showing up the other heroes and making them obsolete. Also, I'm considering adding the gay robot sidekick as a foil to Duke and spurring his development.

Anyways x2, the gameplay. The core gunplay will take more than a few hints from the Serious Sam series, being fast, tight, and on a massive scale. Duke's "Ego" meter will again be a metric for his health, although it only regenerates up to either 1/3 or 1/4 of the "normal" level. Ego is mostly regained through killing enemies, with the larger enemies yielding more ego. This can be used to push Duke's health beyond the normal limit, although I'm not sure if a cap should be implemented. That would be determined through play testing. Also, Duke can gain more ego by finding "mementos", like shrines to him, arcade machines about him, and action figures that survived his fall from grace. These would be rare, but provide a lot of ego and act as collectables/achievements. Also making an appearance would be a Bastion-style weapon and upgrade system, with a wide variety of weapons that vary more than the typical "firing rate/damage/accuracy/splash" metric. Upgrades would be integrated as well, with one type of upgrade compatible with all weapons in that category (assuming there are weapon categories, but right now I'm considering melee/ballistic/energy). These would also require exploring the environment, and each tier has three options (two options and no effect). However, each modification to a weapon has both an equal upgrade and downgrade to aspects of the weapon, and "no change" will always be an option.