Make me want to play oblivion.

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
thethingthatlurks said:
Genericjim101 said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Sales pitch, huh? Ok, play the game to 100%, and I'll give you the antidote! Oh, you might want to hurry up with this though, just sayin'...
Why not just ask him to crawl to the moon in 2 days? XD
Good point! Hey, OP, beat Oblivion to 100% while crawling to the moon in 2 days, or no antidote! Remember, tissue necrosis is nasty, wouldn't want that to happen to you, right?
Said person will die never having found that last nirnroot, muahahaha!

blushmoe

Nov 19, 2009
People aren't getting that I am very interested in Action RPGs. I just found their to be NO RPG elements.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Do you have the computer version? If so,good,because I believe that Vanilla Oblivion is boring. Mod it. go to www.tesnexus.com and get some mods. Find a playstyle that appeals to you. I personally like sneaks with poison and thunderbolts. Also...BE the character. That's my advice.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Machocruz said:
oplinger said:
And you never had fun being the character? Never decided to do things your own way, see what you could do? Or did you just do exactly what you were told?

You make your own fun in non-linear games most of the time. The game gives you a direction and a story, but overall it's up to you to have the fun with it. If you played BG or ME, and just went from main quest to main quest, the game's pretty short and boring. You have to explore. You make the choices. You make your character. You act how you want. You RP a little bit if you want, be in character. You make your own fun.

The game is just a tool to enhance your fun. If I played Fallout 2 with an angry scrunchy face of hatred, I doubt I would have liked it.
I had fun playing the games, not "being" the character. I'm not trying to escape from life or be "immersed" into polygons. I don't LARP in video games. The rules and stats are enough to define the character's role. I don't give game companies 60 dollars so that I have to do the work of making their game fun. I'd just play free Minecraft if I wanted an empty world that I have to extract fun out of.

For example, Divine Divinity was fun, because the quests were well written and interesting and the music was beautiful, and I enjoyed the character building and the art and atmosphere, and it seemed like their could be interesting quests and details around every corner -all things the developers provided. The game was huge and still provided the fun, I didn't have to invent my own imaginary scenarios or gameplay challenges. Same with other open world RPGs like Fallout 2, Ultima 7, FF12, Might and Magic 6.

Maybe Elder Scrolls is the exception and I've been approaching them wrong. But at any rate, I don't think the right sales pitch in the OP's case is "you have to make your own fun."
Haha, I like you. You're a funny person. You took a very extreme approach to that. I never said it was an empty world, or that you had to LARP. Nor did I say you had to "work to make their game fun" I also didn't say you had to make up imaginary scenarios or challenges.

What I did say is you make your own fun because you decide what to do. As I mentioned, many games are really short and boring if you just do as your told. Hell, if you just go about the main quests in Oblivion, it hardly lasts 10 hours, and it's extremely boring and anti-climactic. It's really the world they created, and what you can do in it, quests included, that make it. But if you never see them, why would they make the game fun for you? You have to decide to have the fun that's there. Just because it's there doesn't make it suddenly fun. You have to explore, and execute the quest objectives in a way you find fun.

But that's fine if you lack imagination. No one said you had to immerse yourself in an RPG. You can play it strategically, crunching all sorts of numbers with a very serious face on.

Role Playing Games aren't about playing roles anyway. Where's the fun in getting into a game? ;)

That's kinda the entire point of an open ended RPG though. Choice.

blushmoe

Nov 19, 2009
Sober Thal" post="9.322144.13186262 said:
-'I kilt a mudcrab wit a sword! This game dumb!'-
/sarcasm

Well in most games like this, a mage would never be able to kill everything with a sword. I barely even leveled up stats by the end.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
Read all the books. A lot of them are actually quite interesting, and they're a lot more fun than the cardboard NPC's. If that sounds boring, I'm not really sure what it is you want.

Also, why shouldn't a mage be able to use a sword? Sure, he'll suck at it at first, but would eventually get better. The concept of a character being unable to do things outside their "class" is arbitrary as hell, more arbitrary than anything that goes on in the ES games IMO.

blushmoe

Nov 19, 2009
Well, no one has actually made me want to play this game in the slightest.
I just thought some fans would tell me it is good because of a high selling point. I wanted to going into this game with a different view, due to when i played it i thought it would be something that would never take off.

Instead, i just got people telling me i am not interested in RPGs (Which i am incredibly) but i guess Meh.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
blushmoe said:
I just thought some fans would tell me it is good because of a high selling point. I wanted to going into this game with a different view, due to when i played it i thought it would be something that would never take off.

Instead, i just got people telling me i am not interested in RPGs (Which i am incredibly) but i guess Meh.
It's not that, it's just you already don't like it. We can't really change your perceptions. You're not going to like it even if we tell you everything we love about it.

It's kinda on you to try it again regardless of what we say, and just make the most of it, it takes a bit to pick up, but when it does you'll probably have at least a somewhat enjoyable experience.

Thirsk

Jan 18, 2009
LilithSlave said:
Oblivion on Steam: $25
Perfect Weeabolivion Mods: A little bit of free time and effort.
Trolling the heck out of every wRPG loving jRPG/Anime/Asia hater: Priceless.

-snippy the rest-
The portion of my heart dedicated for jRPGs is small, wrinkled and black. I really don't care for them at all. And I'm a shameless (albeit a wee tad oldschool) wRPG-player.

Despite this, I didn't feel trolled at all. After wading myself stupid all across Cyrodil, this actually seemed quite amusing, in the stupid kind of way. Not to be an arse or anything, but I think there are greener pastures as far as trolling go. Religion or something.

But that might just be me.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
I dunno...I hate the game and yet I am compelled to play it. The frustrations I have with it make me all the more determined to play.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Thirsk said:
Despite this, I didn't feel trolled at all.
That's because you're not a silly fanboy(in the negative sense of the word: "everything I don't like sucks and people who like it suck") who gets upset over nothing.

Thirsk said:
but I think there are greener pastures as far as trolling go. Religion or something.

But that might just be me.
I dunno. It's funny to me because I think the original facial designs looked horrible, I like Eastern aesthetics in video games. And that part of the fun in Oblivion is the rich modding community. And yet people with rage over something small like video game mods. It's funny to me, to someone rage over something so small.

Religion is a big issue. But getting at people who mod a game that makes it a little less "Western" looking. That's just funny.

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
Well you could just mod the shit out of it after all there are mods that fix just about everything you could care for

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
blushmoe said:

Well, what do you expect when you started the thread this very way you did.
Oblivion tries something different and has loads of Mods and quite a helpful community. You can have fun with this game if you set up your own rules on how to play it and if you bring an open min, it gives more choice than other games but because of this you might find yourself lost or even irrated.
There are stories where people a trying to be NPC in Oblivion not doing quests at all trying to live a simple life, there are others who played Oblivion while being drunk IRL and the results vary from impressive to hilarious. You have to find your own special key to unlock your doors to oblivion. If you are unable to find it this game isn't simply for you. But this is just my opinion I loved the youtube clips shown here...

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
theonecookie said:
Well you could just mod the shit out of it after all there are mods that fix just about everything you could care for
And again, you can download MSI Afterburner for free and record some of your sessions to put on youtube.

So that you can tick off hordes of Elder Scrolls purists.

OH NO I AM AN UPSTANDING MAN WHO DOESN'T LIKE NASTY ASIAN GAMES AN ALL. WRPGS ARE SUPERIOR!

WHAT'S THIS? SOMEONE MAKING A FACIAL MOD TO MESS WITH MY GLORIOUS UGLY FACIAL CG IN OBLIVION THAT DOES NOT AFFECT THE GAMEPLAY AT ALL?

ANGRY! ANGRY I AM! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE CRIMINAL WEEABOO. YOU BROKE THE LAW!

All caps.

(Note that I am not generalizing many awesome, awesome people who like Oblivion and wRPGs. Just certain Oblivion fanboys that will attack anyone who plays the game with any Asian modding. Those people are silly.)