Make me want to play oblivion.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Eh, I wouldn't call it crap. It's got it's ups and downs depending on what you like in a game.

I respect people who have it as their favourite game ever and people who aren't interested in playing it at all equally.

I guess I'm a little bit happy though that not everybody sings the praises of the game, though. I'm a bit jealous that some of my favourite games from 2006 didn't get as highly rated.

Why wouldn't I call it crap? Because it's a lot like Terraria and Minecraft, it has almost as many things to do, perhaps more. And you can customize it to have things you like, just like Minecraft. And you can buy it for just $20 new on Steam.

There are more important games to play, I think. But $20 for all that customization. Eh, it's okay. Not the most amazing game, not a horrible game. Just a kind of interesting sandbox with plenty of stuff to goof off with. If you like customization and you like Minecraft, Oblivion with mods is good too.

You will most likely pay as much for a t-shirt as you will for Oblivion. And for that price, you get another sandbox with as much to do and as many mods as Minecraft. Why not?

You know, unless you have better/more important games to buy first. And then buy those instead.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
bussinroundz said:
theonecookie said:
Well you could just mod the shit out of it after all there are mods that fix just about everything you could care for
Mods will fix everything !! Gimmie a fuckin break. You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd.
I prefer to view Oblivion as a dinner cooked in a restaurant. The chef may have his own idea of how it should taste, and after sampling it you may agree. However there exist a variety of condiments which you can use with which to improve the meal to your personalised tastebuds. Now to some, the dinner is terrible regardless.

Sometimes you simply cannot please someone - no matter how many condiments you may use - if the dinner itself is flawed from their perspective. Try to feed a Vegan a steak dinner and it's pretty doubtful they'll enjoy it. That's just the way tastebuds are. Everyone's are different, but the freedom to add your own condiments, to pick and choose the flavour from a base dish - that helps make a meal that is truly something to remember.

Machocruz

Aug 6, 2010
oplinger said:
But that's fine if you lack imagination. No one said you had to immerse yourself in an RPG. You can play it strategically, crunching all sorts of numbers with a very serious face on.

Role Playing Games aren't about playing roles anyway. Where's the fun in getting into a game? ;)

That's kinda the entire point of an open ended RPG though. Choice.
I just play the games bro. I don't put on faces, or imagine things that aren't there, or make up for the developer's lack of imagination with my own.

Besides, playing around with character builds, strategic battles, etc IS immersive. I'm not being pulled out of the game by stilted animations, every other NPC having the same voice, janky AI, copy-pasted environs, and rats leveling up with me, and all the other unfortunate details you notice when you're focusing on the simulation and not the gameplay.