Make Your Own Rorschach Mask

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Make Your Own Rorschach Mask

Becoming Rorschach from Watchmen just became that much easier, thanks to this nifty little video tutorial on how to make his mask.

I was never a huge fan of the Watchmen movie, especially some of the costume designs, but I'll admit that I liked how Zack Snyder depicted Rorschach's mask on the big screen. The way that the patterns moved and changed to match the character's facial expressions was both fascinating and unnerving, and now fans of the design can make their own such masks thanks to this video guide.

The basic idea here is that you use Thermochromic paint pigments on a clear printing base, which then allows to you to print whatever design you want. In this video's case, they use an ink blot pattern like the one that was sported in the movie. As a wearer breathes in and out, the colors change from black to white when the ink is warmed more than 86º.

As you can see, the results are pretty cool. They're certainly way better-looking than the cheap Rorschach masks that were being sold with Halloween costumes after the movie came out.

Source: Geeks Are Sexy

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
The transparent base looks like semen... First think I noticed. Otherwise, its pretty cool.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
That is unbelievably cool. I want one. :D
*Goes on Amazon to get some stuff*

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
If I had the resources, I would wear nothing but stuff colored with this stuff.
I wish I had a high enough standard of living to be able to spend money on non essential things. This would be at the top of the list.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
ehh.... That's not the same thing. It looks like it's only capable of doing one normal picture, from which then leaks, then retracts back to the original. Meaning it's not the same thing from the movie, still really cool however.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
KaosuHamoni said:
The transparent base looks like semen... First think I noticed. Otherwise, its pretty cool.
If your semen looks like that... well I'd be worried if I were you.
But OT, this is a pretty cool idea and it works really well, I imagine you could get even better results if you think about the pattern you're painting on.
If I wasn't a poor uni student then I'd totally give this a go!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Real question: How toxic would those chemicals be? I doubt that putting a mask lathered in all sorts of crap would not be detrimental to something in the body.

Still awesome though.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
new_age_reject said:
KaosuHamoni said:
If your semen looks like that... well I'd be worried if I were you.
But OT, this is a pretty cool idea and it works really well, I imagine you could get even better results if you think about the pattern you're painting on.
If I wasn't a poor uni student then I'd totally give this a go!
=P Well it kinda does! If you squint...

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Jumplion said:
Real question: How toxic would those chemicals be? I doubt that putting a mask lathered in all sorts of crap would not be detrimental to something in the body.

Still awesome though.
I gotta agree with this. I love the idea that it could be made but that crap doesn't look safe at all to be breathing that in via a mask. D:

The Red Spy

Dec 1, 2009
The strange coincidence is that I've just watched Watchmen not an hour ago, that being the first time I've seen it throughout.

Looks terrific, one potential pattern or not this is a definate improvement on the cheap, plastic covers you can get elsewhere.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
That is awesome, I know what to do if I ever have to get a Halloween costume!

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Awesome. I'm totally making one of those for my London Comic-Con costume. I was going to go as a Sith, but that is far too cool to pass up. Problem is seeing out of it, and not dying of heat stroke. An open weaved fabric should help. Also a good friend to stop you bumping into stuff.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
"WHERES HARVEY DENT!?!?"

Oh wait.... wrong superhero movie.

Anyone, amazing idea. I might have to do this with a pair of underwear for the next time i invite a lady over. I bet that would impress her bigtime.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
"OKAY, TODAY WE'RE GOING TO LEARN HOW TO MAKE-" Ow, ow, ow! How about today we learn how to edit the sound in our video, then tomorrow we learn how to make something? Bastard nearly blew my speakers.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
"OKAY, TODAY WE'RE GOING TO LEARN HOW TO MAKE-" Ow, ow, ow! How about today we learn how to edit the sound in our video, then tomorrow we learn how to make something? Bastard nearly blew my speakers.
Sounded fine to me.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Awesomesause. I wish he explained how he made it a little more though.