Making an RTS, what do YOU want?

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
RTS used to be one of my favourite generes when it was still about grand strategy. These days it's all about micromanaging units and firing off their abilities at the exact right time. So, to me the most important aspect of an RTS is that it's actually about strategy again. I freaking loved how for example in Age of Empires 2 your troops would form up into units that put melee fighters at the front and archers in the back, so if you were able to get a bunch of cavalry around behind them you'd do much greater damage in your charge. That's so much more strategic and fun to me than having to micro a psi-storm in the exact right location or whatever.

Also I love strategy games where resources are limited, and if the opponent throws all his troops at your defenses and loses them all you can win the match that way. I get that games that are designed that way run way longer and aren't always the most fast paced and interesting, but they just have more interesting strategy than games where you need to control the map to have any chance of winning.

SHW

Apr 25, 2015
Evil Smurf said:
Alpha Centuri is my favourite vidja gaem, because it has an amazing story dispersed between everything, I'd imitate the way SMAC drops conversation logs when you reach techs. Also mindworms, gimme them horrifying brain slugs. Also make it for WiiU?

Oh yeah, turn based.
I am not making my RTS for the WiiU. Because it would simply be unwise to do so. The WiiU is just not a smart console to port to.

Aetrion said:
Also I love strategy games where resources are limited, and if the opponent throws all his troops at your defenses and loses them all you can win the match that way. I get that games that are designed that way run way longer and aren't always the most fast paced and interesting, but they just have more interesting strategy than games where you need to control the map to have any chance of winning.
I am planning to use deposits. These are unlimited points to get resources, but you to find them first. There won't be a lot o them around.