Making butt-ugly characters

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Does anyone else have a weird fascination with making the most ugly characters in videogames? I find it so hilarious and fun, some of the shit you can come up with is great.

In Oblivion I made a monster of a man, his face was all shirvelled up and weird.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
I have but didn't care for it because most games still act like you are freakin Brad Pitt covered in honey. However, Arcanum has a beauty stat that I would play with by making ugly characters as the game's NPCs would actually react to it.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Nah, I'm usually bad at Bethesda's character creator so I just go with someone who looks like a living being. However, once, by accident, I made such a scary Sheppard that I had to keep him. I imagined that everyone would run away from him on the first sight but the game didn't cooperate *sigh*

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Nah. I either pick the most interesting pre-set character, or occasionally test the limits of the face engine by trying to recreate myself. Along the way I might put *this* slider all the way to the end and leave *this* slider at zero and have a little chuckle about the deformed horror I briefly created, but actually playing through the whole game as some red-faced hillbilly with eyes a centimeter apart and a foot-wide mouth? That'd get old after the first five minutes.

Other stuff that sounds hilarious at the time but gets tedious after five minutes: entering your name as "an idiot" or "your mother" or "my arse", etc, in an RPG where the other characters mention your character by name in conversations.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
Sean Hollyman said:
Does anyone else have a weird fascination with making the most ugly characters in videogames? I find it so hilarious and fun, some of the shit you can come up with is great.

In Oblivion I made a monster of a man, his face was all shirvelled up and weird.
I enjoy making characters look realistic, or like an actual character like conan the barbarian I did a really good pic
in my opinion http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=198521014 if the link works its here, I made him like the books bronze of skin.

I made Caius Cosades great grandson (look up in Morrowind/Balmora blades NPC), as imperial as my first character ever in my first playthrough and when you start to work with the blades i was like "OMG" my character fits perfectly :p

As for ugly characters, Its good fun but I usually end up deleting shortly afterwards

AmberSword

Jun 16, 2014
I certainly can't stand it (making an ugly character), in fact I tend to not care about character customization at all, the defaults often look good enough for me.

I usually just stay with the default, tweak the hair settings and color a bit, then off I go.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Sean Hollyman said:
Well we know Yahtzee's Mii has a penis for a face, so I'm guessing your not the only one. I'm guessing your characters also have 'interesting' names?

Given that you're going to be playing more games that have a detailed character creation system for a huge number of hours, I usually try to go with a character that has a fairly unique but pleasant design

Except Saint's Row, where you can plastic surgery, gender-flip and fancy dress your character to your heart's content.

Dragon's Dogma is fun when you can recruit the characters made by other people. I still haven't fully grasped the intricacies behind the character stats, so I generally just put together a team of freaks of the appropriate level.

EDIT: While I think about it, the best character I ever made was in Soul Calibur 4. They were basically a version of Marvin the Martian except using the giant muscled monster type.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
I tend to not make ugly characters when I play a serious game. Maybe I'm too serious, haha! But seriously I need to start making ugly characters in more games.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Oh yes making them insanely ugly is so much fun, love playing around with he extreme limits on character creators.

I always make at least one hideously deformed family in the Sims. So much fun seeing how their offspring turn out.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
delta4062 said:
I'm the opposite, while I'm not trying to make supermodels characters. I don't really get enjoyment from making stupid looking characters.
Ugly character doesn't automatically mean stupid looking. They are different.

OT: No I don't have a fascination with it. I will make them look like how I think they should based on their personal background that I generate for them in my head.

This might mean they are disfigured or ugly, or fairly neutral looking, or really crazy hair and eyes. It all depends on the PC.

Like if I'm making a character who is some kind of monk, or mage, I usually make them shaved headed, simply because in my mind, those type characters tend to be very streamline in their look. The monastic devotee kind of look, so, shaved head for them.

My thieves tend to be fairly generic looking, working on the premise that a good thief/spy is forgettable, so he wouldn't have really distinctive physical traits that could identify him.

Etc etc, stuff like that.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Not necessarily 'ugly', but if I'm given free reign to design my character I'd prefer they look different from the usual kind. So not really handsome or 'beautiful', but not something I'd consider disgusting or unnatural.

There's a certain female character I like to make who isn't bad-looking, but she has personal features and a nose that looks like it was broken years ago.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Nope, never. I don't find it funny at all (I'm looking at you guys, almost every let's player ever) and no one will see my own characters anyway so there's no point in me doing it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Nope. That's an immersion-nuker right there. I'm more in it for the immersion than for the lulz.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
If I am expecting that game to be not that great or want to freak out my friends with horrible creature like characters I will. If I really want to get into a game though I just try to make the character somewhat resemble myself.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
I don't specifically try for ugly characters but I do like going for cartoonishly exaggerated features which sometimes results in ugly characters. I like humorous-ugly, but not ugly-ugly.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I've tried, but it hardly ever works.

Sometimes I try to make characters that look unattractive while still looking, y'know, physically possible, but they always end up just looking like the character model has glitched out.

I did make one non-handsome Commander Shepard that worked okay, but it was accidental.

Making utterly ridiculous characters doesn't appeal to me. The joke will wear out long before the game ends and it wasn't exactly the funniest joke to begin with, plus if the game is trying to be at all serious then it just ruins it.

hyplion

Apr 29, 2010
is there another way of making characters? In RPG's give your character the largest nose possible, he is going to stick his nose in everyones business, you want to leave a large imprint.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Nope, I try to make unique characters, folk who I think work with the story or the background I have in mind for them.

Saints Row 2: why go for a buff american sounding gangster when I can go for a lean, mean cockney that looks as though he's been in a coma for years.

Mass Effect: female Shepard who looks likes she's going on a date? nope, clean faced serious Shep with a haircut to match

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
When it's the first time I'm playing a game, I'll make a character that actually looks good, but when I replay it, I like to make funny stuff.