Making money with Diablo 3

Jesse Willadson

Jan 14, 2012
So Diablo 3 finally has a release date. I am excited, but not because I have any real interest in playing the game. When they announced the ability to sell loot for real money I became interested in the idea of making serious money off of selling gear.

I am not expecting to work completely, theres a chance it will fail, but if I can make my rent purely through Diablo 3 I will be a happy man.

My question is, will you buy gear with real money? Do you think it will work? and what class do you think will be the most popular?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Unless you're Korean (by stereotype, not by nationality), I doubt you'll be able to actually make "serious" money in D3. As in, "serious" enough to be able to rely on it as a source of income to support your lifestyle. I actually think D3 will hit many "enterpreneurs" with reality, and the hit won't be gentle.

Also, this real money thing is one of the two reasons for which I shall pass on D3. (other being no offline functionality)

I, for one, don't want to make gaming a second job...much less do I want to make one particular game a second job. What when I get tired of it?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Jesse Willadson said:
I am not expecting to work completely, theres a chance it will fail, but if I can make my rent purely through Diablo 3 I will be a happy man.
I don't want to be the pessimistic guy here, but you may be setting your sights a little high.

Jesse Willadson

Jan 14, 2012
I should point out that my rent is in the 300 dollar range. Again though, I don't have incredibly high hopes. I am not going to quit my current job when the game comes out.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
Well this is... interesting. On one hand i have vowed NEVER to by items or any DLC that does not as additional functionality but selling it, yes that is a nice proposition the only thing is will i fall so behind in getting my items i will NEED to buy better gear to get gear with selling and further will i need to buy items to finish the game?

If i have to buy items to finish the game the game is dead in my opinion but with no online PVP battles just no being able to sell times people wan will not kill the game as long as I can finish it which is my problem with most "Premium game items" is that if you opponent has them you are dead no matter how bad they suck and how god you are, but with that gone it is fairly hard to see a real downside other than "OMG CORPORATION MAKING MONEY BLAAAHHHRGGH!"

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Depends. In WoW, just after Uldaman was opened/released/patched in I was doing a lot of Blacksmithing. On my stats/acheivements page I was logging an average of around 4000 gold per day which only took me about an hour or so of in-game effort. Granted, I had to fork out some gold to make the items but the profit margin was pretty big, like more than double... All those gold farmers were farming ore, so I could buy stacks of saronite for like 50 silver haha.

Anyway, selling 2k gold (the profits) would net, what, $5 IRL? $5/hr? I made a lot more than that building a couple PCs for strangers in my spare time... Hell, I made more than that back when I was working at a grocery store.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Don't set your hopes too high, for every item won fairly there will be billions on the market script farmed.
And while they will region lock items so you wont compete with Asian gold farmer work camps, there is just about every snot nosed kid going into D3 with the dream of gold and riches.

News flash kids Blizzard does not intend to make you all rich, they actually want that to be reserved for them.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I'm not seeing it working.

You've got to figure the only way to get enough decent gear to sell would be a bot(they will exist. It's inevitable). But you won't be the only one doing it. Thousands of bots will be finding great gear all the time, which will make more available, and drive prices down.

But before that happens, there's the awkward economy stage. In the beginning, no-one will know the true value of an item, so prices are gonna be hit and miss all over. Your deal may get passed up by people not knowing what it's really worth, or you may end up selling it for less than its value.

Oh god. I just realized that people will be doing combination trade/real money trades. "I'll give you x piece of gear and 3 dollars for that thingy.".

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Jesse Willadson said:
So Diablo 3 finally has a release date. I am excited, but not because I have any real interest in playing the game. When they announced the ability to sell loot for real money I became interested in the idea of making serious money off of selling gear.

My question is, will you buy gear with real money? Do you think it will work? and what class do you think will be the most popular?
I can say I've tried the Demo but didn't play it too much due to not wanting to ruin the game for myself before it's released, especially seeing as Blizzard seems to be ignoring fan input (and by this I don't maean mine, I've just been paying attention to some of the forums and such). It is a very good game however, and I have it pre-ordered, despite not liking some of the design desicians they made which I can't go into.

To be entirely honest the whole "cash auction house" thing is a feature I doubt many people will use. Despite stories about people paying like $3,500 for a rare loot drop, I just can't see people routinely dishing out money, even a buck or two at a time, for the weapons and items in this game, especially seeing as grinding for loot is 99% of what drives it forward.

It's an interesting experiment, but I'll be surprised if it takes off, and honestly the game structure doesn't seem to really be one where people are going to be concerned over their abillity to overkill things. Perhaps it might be more tempting in the multi-player arena, but I suspect that in the end the multiplayer (PVP or co-op) aspects of the game will become shunned if it starts to take substantial investments of money.

In short, I do not think you, or other people with similar thoughts, are going to be able to turn Diablo into a full time business. With some luck, over a period of time you might make enough money to say buy another game though. :)

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
Jesse Willadson said:
I don't want to be the pessimistic guy here, but you may be setting your sights a little high.
this guy is correct, thats going WAY to high, as some one who's also planing on making some cash off D3, I'm a say, aim lower. $100 a month off the game would make me happy for instance, which is probably still aiming to high .....

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Vegosiux said:
Unless you're Korean (by stereotype, not by nationality), I doubt you'll be able to actually make "serious" money in D3. As in, "serious" enough to be able to rely on it as a source of income to support your lifestyle. I actually think D3 will hit many "enterpreneurs" with reality, and the hit won't be gentle.

Also, this real money thing is one of the two reasons for which I shall pass on D3. (other being no offline functionality)

I, for one, don't want to make gaming a second job...much less do I want to make one particular game a second job. What when I get tired of it?
I agree with this, btu at the same time, I am curious to try it. Do I see myself becoming rich? Hell No. But Do I see this as an interesting question to answer? Yes.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
I seriously doubt you'll be able to support yourself with D3. But, if I can make a bit of side cash with D3, I won't be offended in the least.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
The whole economy thing sounds stupid, its a niche game and people aren't going to be playing this forever. What happens to the economy when the player population begins to shrink?

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
I don't think you'll be able to make any real money off the game (by that I mean your rent). I think if you get to a high level pretty fast and farm the higher up mobs and sell the weapons you buy for cheap you might be able to make enough to buy some games in steam sales and the like. I mean even shitty weapons that are farmed from the highest tier enemies should be selling for like 50 cents. Do that a couple times and you you might make a couple bucks to put towards other games.

Also Hitman is 75% off today on steam.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
"No mum, I don't need a real job. No mum, I don't need an education. All I need to do is clock Twelve hours a day on Diablo 3 and sell the loot for real money!"

You know those middle class, conservitave anti-videogame nuclear family producing women the gaming industry are fighting?

Yeah, the ones the republicans listen to?

We just handed them the war.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
If there was only real money auction house then I could see this working. However community split between two auction houses will make it difficult or easier for those that can abuse it. Someone could get a good amount of cash from this or everyone that tries could lose everything. Just have to wait and see what happens in long run once game is out.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
You don't make real money.

You make Battle.net Balance. You can use it to buy blizzard games and WoW services. And more when they add it.

You can still maybe go the illegal way of selling items and characters on ebay/craigslist. But I have a feeling they'll be watching for it. They -really- do not want it happening in D3.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I highly doubt you can make that huge amount of money since I can assume finding rare loot to sell in the auction house will be rare like you will be lucky to maintain find one rare loot per gaming session.

Either way no I will not use my real money since I doubt I will love a game that much to spend real money on and I have will power to resist stuff like this.