making video game credits fun

yo mato

Mar 18, 2011
I think credits, either in a movie or a videogame, are something that matters. I think they´re something of an acknowledgment for the hard work of a bunch of people who work their asses off for something we love.

Problem is that basically the text format in wich they are presented is boring as hell, and most people just dont take the time to read them. Now, Hollywood has made a huge step giving us extra scenes after the credits, but they still haven´t found a way to make them fun, and in games the only example of fun credits I can think of is Vanquish.

What do you think guys? is there anyway gameplay can be incorporated into credits?

BTW: sorry for the lenghty post

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
Well the Super Smash Bros games turned the credits into a shooter where each credit would fly at and you'd have to shoot and turn them red before they went offscreen. It was awesome but I don't think it ever got me to actually READ those credits.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
One of my favorites was Madworld, where the guys who made commentary through the game continued to do so through the credits, making fun of the people involved.
1: "They had ONE GUY working on the blood effects in this game?"
2: "That guy musta been working 24/7!"

MasterV

Aug 9, 2010
yo mato said:
Sorry for the lenghty post
Haha, are you kidding? This is not lengthy at all.

Anyways, games with cool credits sequences were:

Super Monkey Ball (you played during the credits as well, trying to increase your score)

Smash Bros Melee (Shoot'em up game. Brawl's was crap by comparison though)

Resident Evil 4 (It showed you scenes of the backstory, how the village was infected with Las Plagas)

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
yo mato said:
I think credits, either in a movie or a videogame, are something that matters. I think they´re something of an acknowledgment for the hard work of a bunch of people who work their asses off for something we love.

Problem is that basically the text format in wich they are presented is boring as hell, and most people just dont take the time to read them. Now, Hollywood has made a huge step giving us extra scenes after the credits, but they still haven´t found a way to make them fun, and in games the only example of fun credits I can think of is Vanquish.

What do you think guys? is there anyway gameplay can be incorporated into credits?

BTW: sorry for the lenghty post
Portal and Portal 2 are probably the best examples of credits thus far. Not because of interactivity, but simply because the ending songs and the text that went with them was far more entertaining than the standard black background.

To make credits interactive would be interesting, but I can't think of a way to make it work. Maybe something like a final level, somewhat reminiscent of Fable 3's pause sanctum thing where it's divided into rooms by credit title thing and you can run around looking at names and whatnot.

hidekipooj

May 12, 2011
I remember one of the Prince of Persia games went on for another 10 or so minutes after the credits were over. Not a boring cutscene or anything either, actual core important gameplay. Loved that idea.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Pretty sure Devil May Cry 4 let you play through the credits, the MGS games have an additional conversation at the end. As for the Portal games, that sort of thing can't really work for other development companies because they're not as small as Valve and have a hell of a lot less people working on them. For example, DA: Origins credits were about 20 fucking minutes long, they actually had to replay 2 4-5 minute songs twice including that rather out of place 30 Seconds to Mars thing.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Gears of War 2 managed to keep me interested just by having pictures of the people and a short message. Plus 1 & 2 had a bit after the credits that I'd been told to look out for.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Zantos said:
Gears of War 2 managed to keep me interested just by having pictures of the people and a short message. Plus 1 & 2 had a bit after the credits that I'd been told to look out for.
The bit after 2's credits was the best I've seen in a while

BlackEagle95

Apr 3, 2011
I like the commentating idea. Humor keeps everyone interested.

I also liked the museum from Modern Warfare 2. The "Wtf is this?!" factor made me stick around at least.

What about having the credits pop out at you during a final chase or escape scene? Seeing random names distracting me while an entire building falls on top of me would get my attention.

A good song always works.