Male clothing colors, what's acceptable to you?

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Vegosiux said:
Also, what's the problem with pink? Real mean (aren't afraid to) wear pink! [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealMenWearPink]
Pink requires the right complexion and hair colour to pull it off, that's the problem.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Jamieson 90 said:
I think the biggest problem with why pink is associated so much with girls is because of advertising and marketing, go into any toy store and the girls section is just a mirage of pink absolutely everywhere, so much so that boys are absolutely terrified to venture in there lest they be girlified, and of course it doesn't help that boys and girls are being pigeon holed and stereotyped from birth, why parents might even receive blue/pink presents/outfits before the baby is even born, which just makes matters even worse.
Hey? Other way around, surely. For advertising and marketing to colour everything aimed at girls/women pink, pink must first be associated with them.

But yeah, pigeonholed from the moment they were born.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Everything.

For myself as well. I got shirts in basically every spectrum. Only a few colours don't look good on me. For instance purple (except for tiny patches here and there), pink, orange and very bright yellow doesn't look good on me. But I'll try on basically anything.

I need more variation in the pants department though. I only got jeans in various shades of light and dark.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Jamieson 90 said:
I think the biggest problem with why pink is associated so much with girls is because of advertising and marketing, go into any toy store and the girls section is just a mirage of pink absolutely everywhere, so much so that boys are absolutely terrified to venture in there lest they be girlified, and of course it doesn't help that boys and girls are being pigeon holed and stereotyped from birth, why parents might even receive blue/pink presents/outfits before the baby is even born, which just makes matters even worse.
Hey? Other way around, surely. For advertising and marketing to colour everything aimed at girls/women pink, pink must first be associated with them.

But yeah, pigeonholed from the moment they were born.
Not necessarily, advertising has a huge impact on society, no example better than that than Coca Cola and Christmas; before they came along there was no real colour associated with that specific holiday, but now red is firmly cemented as the colour for Christmas. As I said earlier in the thread pink used to be a boy's colour until things got switched around towards the start of the 20th century, with it accelerating around WWII, the thinking being that pink was a slightly less masculine colour than red, with blue being associated with the virgin Mary, hence it was associated with girls and their virtue.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
No colour is really unacceptable. Different people pull of different colours. Sadly I pull off yellow, but I hate the colour. Some men pull off pink. Some outfits just don't look good no matter what though. Take a tie with Santa on it. Even around Christmas that tie doesn't work.

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
I am a firm believer in letting men whatever they damn well want to.

And yet, my wardrobe consists of nothing but jeans and t-shirts...

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Mainly wear dark colors. The most colorful items I have are two flannel shirts in red, black and white, which I tend to wear whenever it's warmer than freezing outside. Any bright colors is off limits for me. Don't particularly like them on other men either. Can't say I really care about what other men wear though.
As long as it isn't pink.

Zoe Castillo

Mar 4, 2011
When I was younger ( more like a year ago) I wouldn?t be seen in anything other than black , white or gray clothing . but these days Im beginning to mix it up with reds, greens and even light-blues , and I think look better for it .
(Though I still cant wear pink un-ironically )

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
I think with pink a lot of it depends on the shade, I.E. I'm pretty much a manly man, with my butch pony tail and beard combo, flowing trench coat, trilby and bottle of whiskey in hand (Yes, I am that cliché). But I own a salmon pink shirt I occasionally wear, why? Because even black gets oppressive sometimes... only sometimes though.

Oh and of course what no child of the 90's is complete without; PLAID SHIRTS! PLAID SHIRTS EVERYWHERE!

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
Sku1c said:
I'm curious about people's opinions on this subject.

Pink would be an obvious example, most men wouldn't be caught dead in it, public opinion on it isn't particularly forgiving either.

But what of green, purple, orange, red etc.?

For myself, the only color i'd absolutely never consider wearing would be Yellow, it's just.. yuck.
it's probably already been said, but with a real man i assume we're trabahoing under the culturally agreed stereotype within our cultures? OR internationally? Whatever song we dance to i'm not too sure i'm a REAL man, i haven't killed a man with my bare hands in a trench, but i DO do heavy lifting at my work, and eat meat. So reckon i'm allowed a dime of opinions.

Personally? Where i'm from the pink shirts for men is most intimately connected with the dandy rich kids going to popular clubs, but it's gettin' more muck (common as)all around, me?

Yea, i c'n imagine wearing some pale pink if it matches the rest of my clothes.

On the flip, i wear whatever i really feel like, i don't really adhere to fashion, and instead go with being myself as hard as possible.

but iäll agree to not readily wearing Bright-bright green and sharp pink 'nor brown a whole lot.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
I wear a lot of purple shirts, and no-one really cares about men wearing pink, especially if it's a shirt. I usually wear whatever is nearest when I wake up, but that always includes jeans or brown chinos (because screw you they are comfortable). I will, however, immediately judge you if you wear a tracksuit bottoms (or maybe top) while not doing, going to, or returning from sports of some descriptions, if you wear burberry (is that how you spell it?) especially with a tracksuit, or anything that clearly states the name of the company that produces the clothing in huge letters on it (excepting footwear or sportswear, if you are wearing said sportswear for sports).

so, yeah, nothing too specific...

Ti0k0

Jun 22, 2011
I have clothing of every colour and wear any colour, except, you said it, pink. I think pink men's clothing is just too much; look at me, I'm so manly, I can even wear THE female colour pink, and thats just one bridge too far for me.

Tyler Trahan

Sep 27, 2011
Honestly men should wear any friggin' color they want. I have majority blue shirts and black jackets, but I also have a brown leather coat, tan, green, red, orange shirts. When I get some money some dark purple will probably be in there as well...and shockingly the only white shirts I have are undershirts (that needs to change). But honestly, anything.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Everything that I like.

Now it's mostly grey, purple, black, bright green & blue.

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
Most of my stuff is made up of blues, reds, greens, purples, whites and tans. I'm okay with any other colour though, I just don't really have any clothes in them. Except orange. I cannot stand to see the colour orange on me. Eugh...

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
i honestly dont care what colour clothes anyones wearing, but if i had to choose something i would hate it would be that barf green, shit brown, baby puke orange and mustard yellow. those colours are disgusting and ironically very popular in the 60's for some bazaar reason.