Male vocalists in popular music

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I feel like men are taking a back seat in popular music. Pink, Lady Gaga, Keisha, Katy Perry, they're dominating, and they stand out in a way that bland, rappers do not. (Even Eminem is slacking) I think the best known guy out there is Bruno Mars, and, he aint Knickleback or Pearl Jam.

Who are the up and coming male pop vocalists? Hinder hasn't come up with much recently. Seether's latest is meh. Who are you listening to?

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Hasn't pop been dominated by female vocalists since the whole girl-band thing took off? The charts are probably the wrong place to find good music, in any case. Although your opinion on 'Knickleback' may indicate that you're looking for something entirely different to begin with.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Gorfias said:
Who are the up and coming male pop vocalists?
Y'see, there's your problem.

I haven't listened to pop music in a long time, because I find that it's all quite samey.

You should actually look into different genres. Folk, punk, rock, etc.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
I think its partially because males tend to listen to non-pop genres more than females which obviously slashes the potential talent. The singer makeup for genres is usually similar to it's fanbase. For example, Country is a very popular genre among men and women, there is also a balance of male and female vocalists. Metal on the other hand is a very male oriented genre, most of it's vocalists are male.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I am using the term "pop" very generically. Metal can be popular, as can be rap, hip hop and even country.

I'd count Buck Cherry and Blink 182 as pop. But, they're kind of old. Who, male, has taken their place?

Zajber

Apr 2, 2010
I'd have to say that I like Ne-yo's voice a lot, Bruno Mars aren't half-bad either. Cee-Lo Green, Chris Martin in Coldplay, Ryan Tedder in OneRepublic and Robbie Williams all have singing voices I actually like so, yeah, there are some out there who almost live up to my standards Bruce Dickinson, Robert Plant etc....

I said almost!

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Zajber said:
I'd have to say that I like Ne-yo's voice a lot, Bruno Mars aren't half-bad either. Cee-Lo Green, Chris Martin in Coldplay, Ryan Tedder in OneRepublic and Robbie Williams all have singing voices I actually like so, yeah, there are some out there who almost live up to my standards Bruce Dickinson, Robert Plant etc....
To this list, Usher and Enrique Iglesias, and Adam Levine of Maroon 5 are all enjoying comebacks. Newcomers Cobra Starship and Mike Posner are also apparently not one-hit wonders, as well as all the recent pop-rock songs which have been male led (pretty much all except for Orianthi).

Also might as I dislike it: Chris Brown and Jaaason Deruuuulo both chart regularly.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Not entirely certain which charts you're referring to, but there's been a great resurgence in male-orientated vocals lately. Artists like Ed Sheeran and bands like Mumford & Sons put great emphasis on the vocal skills of the male(s) and chart highly as well...

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Sex sells. Females in pop music are more popular because guys unconsciously think that if they buy their music they will have a chance at getting in their pants. Women aren't really subject to this effect so it doesn't go both ways.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Wait wait wait. Did you just compare someone unfavorably to Nickelback? As in, "they're okay, but they're no Nickelback"

Well, whatever. I shouldn't judge, I guess. If you like Seether, Hinder, and Nickelback then I recommend Theory of a Deadman and Three Day's Grace.