Malware warnings from the escapist?

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
Every single page I load from the escapist is currently giving me a malware warning in both chrome and IE. What's going on? Some bad piece of scripting on the escapist, or a bug in whatever part of my OS (win7x64)?

Has anyone got a solution I can use to fix this annoyance?

Polaris19

Aug 12, 2010
Edit: Sorry I iz tired...

I dunno what to tell you, but The Escapist doesn't have a malware issue so I'd ignore it. Someone else will probably know whats up...

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Varchld

is drunk and disorderly.
Nov 8, 2008
Jaythulhu said:
Every single page I load from the escapist is currently giving me a malware warning in both chrome and IE. What's going on? Some bad piece of scripting on the escapist, or a bug in whatever part of my OS (win7x64)?

Has anyone got a solution I can use to fix this annoyance?
If it's still doing it you could try posting in the Tech Team group.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Tech-Team

One of The Escapist techs can look into it.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Is it the browser warning or your antivirus? Because some antivirus programs and browsers give you warning even from faulty script or a ad which is broken and wont show. Or you can have some sort of bug on your computer that starts itself when you use your browser. I am very sure Escapist is not trying to hunt for our computers, not trough my firewalls and anti-virus programs noticing it first.

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
What I'm getting is a red page in both Chrome and Internet Explorer telling me that the escapist is currently trying to send me malware, and I then have to check a box and click continue on html page to continue.

I'm not running any form of anti-virus software (the joys of running a linux gateway machine) so I doubt that is the problem, though I do run some anti spyware software just to deal with annoying local machine issues. Neither of them have ever shown me this page before, even when I've been visiting what would best be described as "dodgy" sites.

I've been offline for a couple of weeks, what with all the rain and flooding, so I know that nothing on my computer has changed, so I can only put this down to some update to the escapists' code.

Thanks, Varchld, I've sent a message to the owner of that tech team group. Hopefully he'll have some advice for me.

[edit] Here's a pic of the error page I'm getting atm:

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
That.. Needs to be at a much higher resolution. But browsers have a server they check now, see if a site is bad. Could be that The Escapist is registering as such.

You could have some malware on your machine, *nix isn't an excuse not to.

Without sounding preachy, *nix is just as vulnerable as Windows to getting malware, possibly even more so since most *nix users are elitist retards like Mac users. I've seen drive by downloads alternate what they send to the PC based on a small script determining the OS so they could get Apple, Windows and major *nix distro's. Majority of Windows bugs I come across aren't actually Windows, they're programs like Adobe PDF reader, Firefox, etc. Nothing in the Windows source itself. Granted, you still get the odd buffer overun or fuzzing attack, but I've yet to see anything immune to those.

But all that aside, if your computer hasn't changed (Which isn't guaranteed, you had to be online to get that message) then it's more than likely the browser getting a (hopefully) false positive.