Man Claims He's Made $10,000 Off Diablo III

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
Doom972 said:
*snip*
My point still holds - the "items" (randomly generated numbers) are given in Diablo 3 and are only useful there. Same goes for in-game currency. You can get the exact same items without spending any money if you just trade your unwanted powerful items (or extra in-game currency) for wanted powerful items with other people. This way you can immerse yourself within the virtual world instead of basically paying someone with real world money for farming items.

I appreciate the detailed explanation regardless.
I won't deny your point, you are able to achieve the same by yourself, without spending money and i wouldn't spend any money on that either.
Though, here's another point: You are able to spend time to learn how to tailor, cut out the middleman presented by a cloth-store, buy some fabrics and tailor yourself - done that myself, found it to be very interresting and fun, it saves me money and my clothes are more unique than an item in Diablo could ever be - you could even go further and produce your own fabrics, or trade those clothes with others if they like yours and you like theirs, for diversity or whatever, but given the opportunity and to save time or for whatever reasons, most people don't and buy their clothes in stores, sometimes for ridiculously and unjustified high prices. In pretty much the same way people choose to take a shortcut and spend some money on their favorite game to buy an item they want.
By the way, hail to the economy ;)

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Soak said:
Doom972 said:
*snip*
My point still holds - the "items" (randomly generated numbers) are given in Diablo 3 and are only useful there. Same goes for in-game currency. You can get the exact same items without spending any money if you just trade your unwanted powerful items (or extra in-game currency) for wanted powerful items with other people. This way you can immerse yourself within the virtual world instead of basically paying someone with real world money for farming items.

I appreciate the detailed explanation regardless.
I won't deny your point, you are able to achieve the same by yourself, without spending money and i wouldn't spend any money on that either.
Though, here's another point: You are able to spend time to learn how to tailor, cut out the middleman presented by a cloth-store, buy some fabrics and tailor yourself - done that myself, found it to be very interresting and fun, it saves me money and my clothes are more unique than an item in Diablo could ever be - you could even go further and produce your own fabrics, or trade those clothes with others if they like yours and you like theirs, for diversity or whatever, but given the opportunity and to save time or for whatever reasons, most people don't and buy their clothes in stores, sometimes for ridiculously and unjustified high prices. In pretty much the same way people choose to take a shortcut and spend some money on their favorite game to buy an item they want.
By the way, hail to the economy ;)
That's correct, but to perform those tasks, one must first acquire a certain level of proficiency and have an interest in doing them - most people lack either or both, so they pay someone else for the products that you mentioned. This is a game - something to do in your free time, of your own free will, for the sake of entertaining yourself. You gain the required proficiency very quickly, and you must have interest in playing or you wouldn't have bought the game in the first place. Even if you lost interest in playing the game over and over to get new items, how will new items make it more interesting?

Oh, and hail to the economy.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Mother of god...

Vork has moved on from the Game to Diablo III! Knights of Good, save us!

No, but seriously. Good for this guy, if it's true. I agree with the ideology of making money LEGALLY whenever possible. This guy saw an opening and took it. And his patience and determination. Damn.
I would never be able to do that. I just don't have the time or the interest to do it. Even if the reward is plain cash.