Man Kills Self While Taking a Selfie With a Gun

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Alex Co said:
Ignoring the fact that private gun ownership is illegal in Mexico, why on earth would anyone want to take a selfie of themselves holding a real gun pointed to their heads is beyond me. Has social media morphed into such a big deal now that people are even doing dangerous things just to get noticed?
Jim Sterlings Youtube Profile:

ALso people ALWAYS did dangerous things just to get attention, its just that modern media seems to glorify this instead of condfemning, so there is far more incentive.

Veldie said:
I never understood peoples desire to take a selfie I have never taken one nor do I feel the need to.
yeah, selfies just feels strange to me. the only photo of myself i have is the document photo that i scanned to have infinite copies. when i take pictures i want to see objects i take pictures of, not having people distort the image.

Zhukov said:
Do they not teach people this shit anymore? Or are some people just too dumb to listen to what is essentially just common sense?
Guns in Mexico is illegal, which means that this guy obtained one illegaly, meaning its very unlikely that black market dealers do gun safety courses.

IamLEAM1983 said:
"Um, hi? Saint Peter, here. You're free to pass but, seriously? If I may?"
If were going to saint Peter now, suicide is a sin so hes not free to pass.

BathorysGraveland2 said:
Stupidity does not justify a death sentence. I know people like to feel good about themselves and all high and mighty compared to lesser people, but this thread just seems really fucking cold to me.
Nor was he sentenced to death for being stupid. he killed himself.

bliebblob said:
I don't know much about guns, is it possible there was a round left in the chamber? I'm told that happens with some gun models, and while it would still be pretty irresponsible of him to point the gun at anything but the floor it'd at least explain his crazy actions somewhat.
clearing out the chamber is standard procedure when unloading a gun.

Drake the Dragonheart said:
Why do we call it common sense? is it really common anymore? sadly I think I know the answer.
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire.

It was never actually common.

Sgt. Sykes said:
But most importantly, even if all the new guns had this kind of safety, there are still tens of millions of guns in the world without this feature so it's not solving anything. Worse, the owner of such a (less reliable) gun can face an enemy with a traditional (more reliable) gun so there's very few positives here.
Even if all new cars had seatbelts and airbags there are still tens of millions of cars without them so this is not solving anything.

except that it did once it was given time to be populous.

Guns get old, get replaced, eventually noone but collectors will have ones without this. changes arent done in a day.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
The world looks on in shock at this extremely unlikely, unthinkable and unthought-of result of taking a selfie with a gun.
I wonder if he was going to post it on Shots?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Sgt. Sykes said:
Strazdas said:
Even if all new cars had seatbelts and airbags there are still tens of millions of cars without them so this is not solving anything.
This is the worst car analogy ever.

You wear a seatbelt in a car to help yourself and your passengers not get hurt. You don't need to care if everyone else has seatbelts. A gun is used against you. What we're talking here is you driving a car with seatbelts and someone potentially going against you in a tank.
Seatbelts and airbags were enforced for saferty of you and others. if you crash into another car - it helps them too because they must have it as well. locking weapon to a person also increases safety (for example borrowing grandmothers pistl to shoot up a school no longer becomes possible).

The analogy wasnt about that, but rather about the fact that just because there is a new, better thing and it cannot be replaced instantly does not mean its not worth doing.

Ever heard of AK-47 or M1911? Those numbers indicate the year of origin of these guns which are among the most popular in the world.
Yes, AK-47 is a pretty sturdy weapon. Its not that old though. not the surviving ones. you have to remember that it was continuosly been manufactured for decades afterward, and evne modofied multiple times by now deceased Kalashnikov. Altrough i give you that this gun is know to simply refusing to die which is why its often used in african countries where regular weapons get cloged with sand without proper maintenance.
However do not make the mistake to take AK47 popularity from videogames into real life. besides the ones exported by soviets (whether legally or underground) noone really uses them because of their poor accuracy, large kickback and being very loud (giving away your position).

M1911.... ah, i am not aware of anyone using it for shooting others. care to enlighten me? as far as i know its a collectors item. It was a great gun for its time, but its beat even by regular modern 9mm pistol.

Also, again, the article is talking about an illegal firearm. Why would anyone buy an illegal gun with bracelet safety?
because criminals dont want to be shot with their own gun?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Strazdas said:
Yup. Even the vaunted Kalashnikov, in the hands of incapable Taliban fighters, will be in a terrible and barely functioning state after that long in the sand and heat. Not to mention that, as with the old Russian PKMs, there is a tendency to just spray bullets downrange with wild abandon and hit very little but succeed in announcing your location to both living and dead within several miles. Aged Lee-Enfield rifles are still being used by some of their sharpshooters, though. No idea what state they're in, or how the differences between bolt-action and automatic designs would affect their lifespan.

On the subject of automatics and the Darwin Awards, there was an old story being circulated years ago about a man putting an empty revolver to his head in a bar somewhere in the States and encouraging another man with a semi-automatic pistol to do the same, forgetting he had a bullet left in the chamber because it was semi-automatic. Oops.
Gennadios said:
I'm just glad he didn't survive.

I have no issues with people doing stupid s***, I just don't want modern medicine saving them from repercussions.
Ouch, man. It was a simple mistake in a moment of negligence and he can't learn from it because he's dead. Maybe he was drunk.

Oh well. Hopefully we don't hear accusations leveled at the Borderlands games for this.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Congratulations on your Darwin award! Whist its a little tragic i cannot shed too many tears, at the end of the day anyone who wants to take a selfie with a gun is not the type of person we want passing on there DNA.

Cruickshank

Jul 3, 2013
Zhukov said:
First rule of gun safety: Do not point the weapon at anything that you do not wish to put a hole in.

Second rule of gun safety: Be aware of the weapon's state of readiness at all times. (i.e. Loaded/unloaded, cocked/uncocked, safety on/off.)

Do they not teach people this shit anymore? Or are some people just too dumb to listen to what is essentially just common sense?
sorry but im going to have to amend that to:

1st rule of gun safety: do not EVER put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire

2nd rule of gun safety: Do not point the weapon at anything that you do not wish to put a hole in

3rd rule of gun safety: Be aware of the weapon's state of readiness at all times.

4th rule of gun safety: store the damn weapon responsibly, locked away from anyone but whoever is on the gun license (if its not your name on the license, you shouldnt really be anywhere near the weapon)

not that you were wrong or anything, you just missed a couple of essential gun rules, that first one of my list being the one drummed into my head way back when i was first even allowed on a gun range, well before i was allowed to fire an actual round (that was around age 8, under heavy supervision, my father used to be cool)

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
Further evidence that the people who take selfies have the level of intelligence that makes them think pointing a cocked and loaded firearm at their head is a good idea.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I'd make a Persona joke, but that would be in bad taste.

I probably shouldn't typed that.

Or that.

Or that.

Or that...

FUCK!

Killclaw Kilrathi

Crocuta Crocuta
Dec 28, 2010
SamTheNewb said:
Sad part is the real idiot is still alive. It is said, in the article, that the gun was loaned to him. Who in the right mind loans a loaded/primed gun to somebody else who probably has never touched a gun before? The guy who owns the gun should be better informed about it's operation and still decides to do the dumb thing.
Very good point. The article seems to imply that the guy taking the selfie was just doing this as a one-off, none of the other photos mentioned seem to have anything to do with guns. He may not have had any sort of firearms training at all and just assumed that he was handed an unloaded one.