Man Loses Finger in iPad Robbery

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Man Loses Finger in iPad Robbery

A Colorado man lost a finger when a thief wanted his new iPad a little too much.

Bill Jordan was only at the Apple store to purchase an iPad for his friend, but he had no idea that his shopping trip would end with him exactly one iPad and one finger short. Security cameras show that after Jordan left the store, two potential thieves were following him in hopes of filching the shiny new iPad. With the bag containing the iPad tightly wrapped around his fingers, Jordan suddenly felt a sharp tug and looked around to see a thief pulling at the bag.

"He was almost sitting down on the ground, he was pulling so hard," Jordan explained. "It was still tied around my fingers, it wouldn't come off. Finally, he gave it one big jerk and that's when he stripped the skin off from my pinky and it went right down to the bone."

Jordan grabbed some napkins from the food court to staunch the bleeding and rushed to the hospital, but the damage had been done; part of his pinky had to be amputated. During an interview with CBS4, Jordan left the still-at-large thieves with this statement: " I hope you understand what you have done to me and to my family's life - for a simple piece of apparatus that will be junk in a couple of years."

It's tough to say what's more horrifying, that this attack happened in broad daylight, or that someone was willing to go to such lengths for a shiny bit of technology.

Source: National Post [http://cbs4denver.com/video/[email protected]]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, he still has part of it, right? And he admits that his purchase will be junk.

Never buy the first gen of a product, anyway.

Anyway...I hope the thieves feel really bad. And their iPad breaks.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
....Ouch, man, I hope they catch whoever did that...

....what a horrible thing to do....

Blizzarded Soul

Jan 27, 2010
Ouch and I thought cutting my finger so deeply that I could see the ligaments moving was bad....compared to that it's nothing.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
Only with an apple product. I doubt I'll ever see anyone trying to pull my fingers off for a zune or my HP laptop. But really, that's madness right there. I would have tried to beat him with the ipad.

GL2814E

Feb 16, 2010
Doesn't Apple have serial numbers on their products? If so, they should make it explode the first time those assholes connect it to the web. Just saying...

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Thats why I like to shop at malls. (With all those people and cameras)

I really hope those thieves get caught. Ripping a man's pinky off for some new tech is just wrong. I hope they get what they deserved.

Tuddle

Nov 12, 2009
This is one of those things where I would spend my whole life hunting them down,
because of what they did.

TimbukTurnip

Jan 3, 2009
Lauren Admire said:
It's tough to say what's more horrifying, that this attack happened in broad daylight, or that someone was willing to go to such lengths for a shiny bit of technology
Personally I find the thought of losing a finger by having it ripped off by a sharp tug more horrifying than either of those. Those are the amazing yet at the same time unsurprising levels that humanity can drop to.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Ouch the guy had a finger degloved.

That said I guess it depends on how desperate the thieves were. Also, it makes me think that the store should be spending a bit more time on security. Some places like Best Buy and the like have people offer to help you carry your big ticket purchuses out to the car for a reason, and oftentimes the door guys are told to keep an eye on people leaving with them for exactly this kind of thing. Incidents like the various robberies of "hot" consoles like the PS-2 when it first came out and later the PS-3 sparked attention being paid by a lot of retailers.

Personally if it was me, I wouldn't just be irritated with the thieves, I'd also be pretty bloody POed at the store if I got jacked in their parking lot immediatly after buying a big ticket item. Sure, there isn't much you can do about it legally, but just like other people who have had problems, I'd make sure everyone knows what happened so they will be more wary about shopping there and have their own people at least keeping an eye out on their own property.

Of course while I've never done it retail, I suppose the general logic with security applies there to. Nobody wants you around or to pay you, and complains about you doing your job, until they get rid of you/station you somewhere else/tie your hands, and then when something happens due to the lack of detterance if nothing else everyone cries "OMG, where was Security". Part of the job description (unofficiall) also being that if they were paying you and there was nothing you could do (due to their policies or something else) it's still always your fault, as taking the blame is what security does. :p

Still even without security I would expect those guys who watch the doors to at least be keeping an eye on the parking lot to some extent, and I'd also expect a salesperson to just landed a big ticket sale to at least want to keep one eye on the person until they get into their car and drive away. A lot of places do.

So err, for all this rambling I kind of blame the store since as I understand it, this happened on their property. Even if not held legally accountable, they deserve bad press.

Enzeru92

Oct 18, 2008
Wow in broad day light all i got to say is why didn't anyone try to help him out seriously

PrimoThePro

Jun 23, 2009
I like this guy. He seems like a calm and collected man, and didn't panic when he lost his finger. I do hope he beats the thieves senseless.

PrimoThePro

Jun 23, 2009
Enzeru92 said:
Wow in broad day light all i got to say is why didn't anyone try to help him out seriously
Ya this amazes me as well. No one? If I was there they would not have gotten away with it...