Man Steals EVE Online Cash to Pay Real Debts

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Well, if it paid for his sons medical bills, then i guess it's worth it.

Spektre41

Jun 26, 2008
If the guy did it to help his son out, not to mention he seems remorseful for what he did, It's a bit hard to condemn him to the fullest.

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
Gormourn said:
Lost In The Void said:
Wow this has given me more inspiration not to return to MMOs. The risks in this one in particular is huge.
How is that a risk. It's fake money, that you don't even have to put into some kind of a "guild bank" in most MMOs.

Neat way to get some cash, though. Bwahaha.
I don't know about it being fake money. If it can be converted into money that can be spent in the real world, is it any less real than the "real" money? Fact is it is digital money, that you spend time earning, which you can use to buy stuff, just like real money. And if someone is willing to allow you to trade it for "real" currency, then it is pretty much is real money.

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
holy shit, he just made 5,000 bucks for playing a video game! Makes me want to start a giant, trusted bank in an mmo then betray the trust of all my friends and investors...

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
I wonder if those who purchased the ISK are banned as well? If not, it seems like a broken policing system to me... or a conveniently one-sided system.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
If it is true about how he used the money, then I say it's well worth the ban. People who do it just for greed: I have a bat I want you to meet...real oak.
Echolocating said:
I wonder if those who purchased the ISK are banned as well? If not, it seems like a broken policing system to me... or a conveniently one-sided system.
The accounts were banned, but that doesn't stop those slimes from using resources they already have to make new accounts.
As for those asking if Australia has medical coverage for the poor, I believe it works like Medicaid in the US: Covers everything or most of, but once you are out of the fire, you owe most or all of it back. Only thing that gets you out of that is the grim reaper.
And for those who feel the need to judge: The guy knew what he was doing, and that he was sacrificing his account to do it, therefore paying the consequences. I would sacrifice any of my measly MMO accounts if it came down to someone that close to me's life. If an MMO account is more important to you than that, I pity you and those who feel close to you.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Terminalchaos said:
The Shade said:
He's a thief. If it had stayed in game it would be part of the cutthroat nature of the game (and he'd merely be a virtual thief), but by taking those assets out of game he became a thief. Even if some of the expenses went to pay for his kids med bills he still didn't use ALL the money for that cause and it doesn't negate the fact that it was essentially stolen. Virtual or not the man is a thief and he's lucky they don't prosecute him for violating game rules-
Prosecute? What, should the Internet Police turn up at his doorstep and slap him with a fine of OVER 9000 lols?

GamerPhate

Aug 22, 2008
LOL that game says its legal to scam other plays for their credits ? LOL thats lousy hehe. All though we know that sort of stuff is fun, but lol, they encourage it ?

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
Just to say, I have money invested in E Bank, and I know thats its safe.

E Bank looks after something in the region of 2.1 Trillion isk, and can easily make back 200 billion by simply liquidating some of there asset's.

As for Ricdic himself, I don't blame him for taking the money, but then adding to the shadier side of EVE (people selling isk for rl money) is something that cannot be forgiven, and i'm glad that he got banned, and I hope they find the people who bought it. I'll never understand how EVE still has this problem when CCP themselves sell isk, in a roundabout sort of way. Suppose its just cheaper.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
GamerPhate said:
LOL that game says its legal to scam other plays for their credits ? LOL thats lousy hehe. All thought I know that sort of stuff is fun, but lol, they encourage it ?
In EVE, its legal to do anything, well, pretty much anything.

CCP makes the world, you make the game.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
The Shade said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Said funds went to cover [...] medical expenses for his son.
I have a hard time condemning him, if for no other reason than this. Wouldn't we have done the same?
Agreed. Get banned on a game or pay medical expenses.

econael

Apr 15, 2009
Does anyone really believe the lie about his kid's medical expenses? Are you people that easy to fool?
Well I guess that's why people like him succeed.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Jsnoopy said:
holy shit, he just made 5,000 bucks for playing a video game! Makes me want to start a giant, trusted bank in an mmo then betray the trust of all my friends and investors...
If it had been me, I would have cleaned the bank out then canceled my account so they couldn't even ban me as punishment.

It's a bloody GAME, if you're stupid enough to let other players hold large sums of your in game money, you deserve to lose it.