Man steals motorbike at gunpoint, then is shot by a police officer [Graphic Video]

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
Title says it all really

Opinions?

I think after pointing a gun in someones face like that he got exactly what he deserved.

Edit

Apparently the gunman is still alive, thanks for the info.

Amaury_games said:
Hello. I'm from Brazil, where this occurred, and from my sources, the robber's condition is stable, although pretty much 75% of the people that know about this story wishes that he just died.

Sources (it's in Portuguese; sorry, the links in English say the thief is dead, and I don't find that in my news):

- http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/cotidiano/2013/10/1356275-bandido-que-foi-baleado-e-filmado-durante-roubo-segue-internado.shtml - This is about the robbery and that the thief is being treated in a hospital.

- http://www.folhapolitica.org/2013/10/pm-desmente-deputado-que-afirmou-que.html - this is a clarification article that the police did not punish the officer (there was a rumor about it being true), and that they think he did right.

Fair warning: Since this happened just a few days ago, there are a lot of rumors about what is going on, so be careful. I found at least three news that seemed legit, but a more thorough research showed me that they weren't true.

Terraniux

Oct 4, 2011
Live by the sword, die by the sword, as they say.

And as far as I know, the robber didn't die after this encounter. There's another video that shows an ambulance pull up a few minutes afterwards.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Did anybody else get a little mislead by the title? I thought it meant somebody was forced to rob a bike, then the cop shot the robber and not the gun man. I was really confused for a minute.

I'm not going to watch it 'cos I'm not into the whole gore side of the interwebz.

Can't belive gta caused another person to use a gun to rob somebody...

Terraniux

Oct 4, 2011
omega 616 said:
Did anybody else get a little mislead by the title? I thought it meant somebody was forced to rob a bike, then the cop shot the robber and not the gun man. I was really confused for a minute.

I'm not going to watch it 'cos I'm not into the whole gore side of the interwebz.

Actually, there's neither blood nor gore. After the robber steals the bike and the cop gets out of his vehicle, there are a couple of gunshots, then the robber and bike fall over. And I don't really think this was inspired by GTA; In some of the comments, a few Brazilian Youtubers pretty much came out and said that stuff like this is not an uncommon occurrence. I think this one just so happened to be caught on camera.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Did it happen in Brazil, by any chance?

If that is the case, I'd say it's jolly well. The gangsters are barely human, or rather, refuse to act the part. Someone being shot is not a terribly good result. But I'd say in their case, it's acceptable. One less.

But I'd rather he lived, of course, and never have ended up in the company of gangster scum in the first place.

[EDIT]

Terraniux said:
omega 616 said:

Actually, there's neither blood nor gore. After the robber steals the bike and the cop gets out of his vehicle, there are a couple of gunshots, then the robber and bike fall over. And I don't really think this was inspired by GTA; In some of the comments, a few Brazilian Youtubers pretty much came out and said that stuff like this is not an uncommon occurrence. I think this one just so happened to be caught on camera.
Ah, I see. Bloody hell, I hope the crime lowering efforts in Rio de Janeiro sticks, and that they spread.

That's true, though, pistol shots don't tend to be a very gory affair. I remember when a teenaged rioter were shot by the police, on camera. It'd be easy to miss, he clutched his wound and walked away for a few steps. It was only when he fell over that it'd be clear that he was injured.

He did survive, luckily. Being shot at by the police is never a good situation to get yourself in, I suppose.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
While I'm all for due process there is a tipping point when a crime is literally in progress.

Haven't watched the video because I'm a work but "did he died?"

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
KiKiweaky said:
I think after pointing a gun in someones face like that he got exactly what he deserved.
Nothing personal, but I don't think this appropriate content to be posting on the Escapist, even with a graphic warning.

Bloke was an idiot though.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
In the US, this would spark flamewars all over the internet. Despite that the thief could've easily turned the gun on the cop had he announced himself and demanded surrender (although he might have and we just didn't hear it, the thief did seem to be looking in the cop's direction), there'd be plenty of people screaming brutality.

Apparently though, this is in Brazil. I got no problem with the shooting, especially given that fact. In fact, I rather applaud the cop for taking such a risk.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I got no problem with it at all. Thief was an imminent threat to public safety and the cop acted decisively to end the threat without injuring anyone else. Now if only the NYPD were as good shots. ;)

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Abomination said:
While I'm all for due process there is a tipping point when a crime is literally in progress.

A few news sites have reported that he did, in fact, died.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/motorbike-thief-shot-brazil-police-2371201

The thief later died of his wounds.
Although that particular article is about as professional as my left foot.

So another:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/helmetcam-captures-moment-thief-steals-brazilian-mans-motorbike--and-is-immediately-shot-by-undercover-police-8878738.html

Unconfirmed reports suggest the motorbike-jacker later died of his wounds
EDIT:

A few posts down, a Brazilian national has given sources that say the thief is in stable condition in hospital.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
The thief got what he deserved and the cop made the right decision to ensure public safety. It may be morbid to say but I'm happy he got what he deserved and that justice was fairly swift since I have heard reports that in Brazil most criminals get away with their crimes.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Well I'm not going to cheer or say he deserved it. On the contrary, I'm gonna say that it was depressing to see. Another (presumably) young life cut short from shitty decisions. Not exactly something to be happy about.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Well, in Brazil this is kind of just the way things are right now.
It's not good, but it's the reality of the situation.

Jun 6, 2012
evilneko said:
In the US, this would spark flamewars all over the internet. Despite that the thief could've easily turned the gun on the cop had he announced himself and demanded surrender (although he might have and we just didn't hear it, the thief did seem to be looking in the cop's direction), there'd be plenty of people screaming brutality.

Apparently though, this is in Brazil. I got no problem with the shooting, especially given that fact. In fact, I rather applaud the cop for taking such a risk.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I got no problem with it at all. Thief was an imminent threat to public safety and the cop acted decisively to end the threat without injuring anyone else. Now if only the NYPD were as good shots. ;)
If you look closely you can see the man pointing the gun at the officer before he is shot, or at least thats what it looks like to me.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Caiphus said:
Abomination said:

I hope the police investigation after consumes far less resources than a trial would have.
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Well I'm not going to cheer or say he deserved it. On the contrary, I'm gonna say that it was depressing to see. Another (presumably) young life cut short from shitty decisions. Not exactly something to be happy about.
I understand the sentiment but we are talking about someone who was so close to the edge of taking a life and was in fact threatening to take a life with the full ability to back it up being removed from the population.

While it is not the best outcome to the scenario it certainly is the most resolving.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Slaanesh said:
I was absolutely mortified when the bike hit the ground. Was it scratched?
The bike is currently in intensive care. They will be applying hot wax and vigorous buffing to heal it. It's unknown when it will recover fully, though. It may need reconstructive painting.