Man Who Bought $735 Xbox One Photo Gets Free Xbox One

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
This disgusts me. They really felt the need to give this idiot a console? Putting aside for a moment that he most likely traded it for some magic beans on the way home it really grates on my sensibilities that he has been rewarded like this. Plus his whole "it's for my 4-year old child" story was a very obvious ploy to attract sympathy when he did something incredibly stupid.

If CeX wants to start giving away free consoles i can think of considerably more deserving people. Plus, the guy did get a refund didn't he? Why not just offer to sell him one? I have lost alot of respect for CeX over this.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
KOMega said:
And he gets a free X1 WITH a refund?! I mean fine, good that nothing bad happened, and the refund was good too... but it just seems a bit undeserving after what happened really.
This is the bit that bugs me, he got his refund, so his sob story had a happy ending. Now he gets something completely free, something a lot of people who didn't have money to blow like he apparently did, would like in reward for nothing at all.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Nice PR, I guess. Otherwise, meh.

Also, lol@the people confused about him buying a console for his 4 year old son. Pretty clear a bunch of you didn't put any ranks into sense motive...

MatsVS said:
gphjr14 said:
The world is shitty because people don't want stupidity to be rewarded?
People are slinging shit at a KID (contrary to what you wish was true, having a kid doesn't give you a magical growth spurt) for having something nice happen to him. Fuck sake... this is so bloody sad.
No worries, this is the Escapist, which is a poor representation for the rest of the world.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Jesus, there's an army of high-horses in this thread.

Why has this guy sparked so much burning vitriol and hatred? Is it jealousy?
The way some people have reacted in this thread, you'd be forgiven for thinking this guy was the literal reincarnation of Hitler...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Seems like a nice story of holiday generosity. People do make mistakes, are victimized, and are just born a little on the dumb side (which isn't their fault). I think the retailer is awesome for what they did.

Alorxico

Jan 5, 2011
IceForce said:
Why has this guy sparked so much burning vitriol and hatred? Is it jealousy?
I can't speak for everyone, but I know for some Americans the anger stems from the fact that we have TONS of stories like this in our local and national news and it enrages those with common sense that people are essentially get "rewarded" for being stupid. When stupid people get rewarded for being stupid, it makes life harder on the rest of us because it gives companies an excuse to makes things difficult for the consumer on the grounds that "we have to protect ourselves in case someone stupid hurts themselves again."

In addition, some believe the UK is a country superior to ours because it doesn't reward stupidity but demands that its citizens be responsible for themselves and their actions. So when we hear of American level stupidity occurring and being "rewarded" in the UK, some people go off the deep end.

This kid read the eBay post and admitted it said the auction was for a photo, but that he bid anyway because he thought the description was wrong in someway and the he would actually get an Xbox One. That is stupid. If you aren't sure, ask the seller. If you question the auction, don't bid. Is it rage inducing stupid? No, but it was stupid, and the fact that the owner of the auction put it in the wrong category negates some of the stupidity on the buyer's part.

Had eBay simply refunded the buyer's money, I would have had no problem with the story. But they didn't. They returned his money AND banned the seller. Why? There was nothing to suggest he was as scam artist (as far as the articles have said) and NO ONE has tried to get his side of the story. Heck, the auction has been erased from eBay's site entirely so there is no way to verify if it was a scam or a poorly worded auction. All we have is the "victim's" word that it was a scam.

That is really my only issue with it. I have questions that are not being answered. I am not angry at the kid, I'm angry at eBay and Paypal. Once again, because they got "bad representation" in the news, they ruin someone's life over what was probably a mistake. But we will never know, because everything associated with this action has been deleted.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
Lets all go out and get scammed so we'll receive free stuff for promotion

But eh. Good for him and his kid. Christmas gonna be more fun now.
Even if he did buy the wrong console.