Mandatory Physical Education

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Edit: I work out at the gym. A Lot.

So in my starting year of Highschool in about a month, every student needs to have one credit of physical education in order to pass to the new grade. There are only two classes to choose from, endurance building (Muscle building I guess) and Sports practice. I obviously picked the endurance training because I do not want to be with all the neanderthals and I have a very slender figure. (Does not help that i'm a nerd too.)

So I question the Escapist members about mandatory Physical Ed.: What's the point?

There is no point in having physical education. It's our life. Our build. I think we have enough power to decide what we want to do with our bodies, correct?

Can you help me understand this "Theory" of P.E.? I'm some what ignorant of these thing called rules in school.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
You picked what sounds like weight training to avoid the "Neanderthals?" Thats the class where the football coach is the teacher and half the class is going to be his player maintaining their build. Way to go buddy. I guess you deserve it though for being so dismissive and smug towards others.

neonsword13-ops

Mar 28, 2011
Canid117 said:
You picked what sounds like weight training to avoid the "Neanderthals?" Thats the class where the football coach is the teacher and half the class is going to be his player maintaining their build. Way to go buddy. I guess you deserve it though for being so dismissive and smug towards others.
Yeah, i'm a nice guy. ^-^

shado_temple

Oct 20, 2010
In a country where there is serious consideration into whether or not allowing your child to become obese could be grounds for their removal by child services, I think mandatory PE might be something of use.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
PE is there to give people nightmare stories. And thats for regular people. Even worse for LGBT people.
Its just one of many flaws of the education system.

Freshman

Jan 8, 2010
If you are in America, The theory is that the majority of our youths are idiots and will be morbidly obese without forced exercise.

thecoreyhlltt

Jul 12, 2010
what is this the 90's? i thought kids were done complaining about that. just man up, although i do agree with candid117 both about making a poor choice and about your poor attitude. i was (and still am) a nerdy skrawny kid in highschool, look at it as a chance to build some muscle and not be a little guy anymore. having a poor attitude about it will only make it worse.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Heh, I coasted through that shit by just not doing anything. Since my sister was notorious for being standoffish to teachers there they just let me sit back and not care, pretty much. Which is funny, because I'm way more polite.

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
It's there to help you be physically active and by extension healthy.

If you go into it thinking it is going to be a waste of time.
You will gain nothing.

However if you apply yourself might be able to add something to your "slender figure"

Lastly, you might want to not call the people in your class neanderthals.
You come off as an asshole and you will likely get your ass beat.

Heartcafe

Feb 28, 2011
It's mandatory so people don't become fat and obese and die at the age of 30 with a heart attack. (Not that it's helping the US much >.>)
Don't worry, P.E isn't going to be that bad. In our school, we had to have 2 credits of P.E so I spent both freshman and sophomore working my butt off in endurance and yoga (Easiest A of my life) Plus it's break from using your brain.
Since it's mandatory, there is a chance that 35% of people in your grade who will be just as miserable as you are, allowing you to have companions to dick around with.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I loved PE. It was my favourite class in high school.

The point of mandatory PE is to make sure that kids are getting some exercise daily. Yeah, it's your choice to do with your body what you want, but since you're being enrolled in school, then it's their choice on how they want to ensure that you meet their standards.

There are certain classes that you need to take. I know here, in Alberta, to graduate high school, you need to finish English and Social 30 (grade 12 level), have Math up to a 20 level (grade 11), and have a certain amount of credits in additional 30 level courses. PE is required until after grade 10.

It's just one of those things that you need to have. No different than having to take English or Math in my eyes, with the added bonus of getting people to exercise.

And why people don't like it is still a mystery to me, because I enjoyed every minute of it. (But then again, my school, as I've been told, was weird.)

neonsword13-ops

Mar 28, 2011
thecoreyhlltt said:
what is this the 90's? i thought kids were done complaining about that. just man up, although i do agree with candid117 both about making a poor choice and about your poor attitude. i was (and still am) a nerdy skrawny kid in highschool, look at it as a chance to build some muscle and not be a little guy anymore. having a poor attitude about it will only make it worse.
I don't mind working out. I don't. I actually enjoy it. I go to my local gym now and again and run on the tredmil for HOURS. Plus, i'm not much for sports. I just never got into it. (Although hockey is pretty invigorating) So, I just don't need lump heads that have been doing drugs, impregnating girls, and just being stupid around me. I don't mind people, just those types.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
How else are they gonna get any exercise? It's not like they'll remove themselves from their television or monitor of their own volition. Hell, most kids can hardly be arsed to read a book.

Hong Meiling

Oct 29, 2009
There should be a mandatory TWO credits in PE. Hell, you should do some PE at home even!

A strong body leads to a strong mind!

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
I hated PE, but I knew it was good for me. It was the only thing keeping me from going from overweight to obese and I know that 'cause when I didn't have to take it anymore I gained a ton of weight and also ended up with high blood pressure. It has taken me over three years to get myself close to being at a healthy weight.

Looking back I wish I tried harder and maybe even joined a sport(freshmen year my PE coach wanted me to try out for Football and I said no). In my district it was mandatory for 2 years in High School and nowadays I wish it had been mandatory for all 4 years as it would have made my life much easier than the last few years have been.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I personally think that Phys Ed should be as mandatory as Social class (or History class/whatever the hell its called for you).
Why? Because I think there are too many zombie burgers out there. People who are way too fat, too skinny, or just amazingly un-fit to survive in any kind of society that isn't our current one. No I am not some big strapping guy that goes to the gym every day and works out; my only exercise is biking to and from work, and whenever I feel like biking somewhere. I am a really skinny guy and not muscular at all, lol. I also prefer to keep my mind in shape rather than my body. But again, physical education should be mandatory so kids are not physically useless at everything.

And social is mandatory because history is very very important and interesting. So is politics (unless you're American, in which case: LOL @ INTERESTING)

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
PE is so that you're getting some semblance of exercise, otherwise you're just sitting all day, which isn't enjoyable.

I took weight training all throughout high school, although it wasn't required. I really like lifting weights, and having that hour everyday, did wonders for my lift maxes. I really like to lift until I can't use the muscle group that I was working (obviously you don't want to totally burn out your legs), losing the abilty to write due to exasution is a really weird but cool feeling.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
There is mandatory physical fitness because the majority of Americas and Especially young Americas are overweight or obsess. quod erat demonstrandum.

If Americas were more fit then mandatory P.E. would not be necessary. So if you see a fat kid during P.E. kick him in the shin because it's his fault. (I kid, I kid).

Nick Rauen

Apr 25, 2011
Heartcafe said:
It's mandatory so people don't become fat and obese and die at the age of 30 with a heart attack. (Not that it's helping the US much >.>)
what the hell man even if your joking and using it as a stereotype you still come off as a pompous asshole when you say it isnt helping in the US. I hardly even understand the stereotype to be honest in any country other than third world countries i could spot just as many obese unhealthy people as i can here. its like how england is stereotyped for bad teeth when in truth they have the same basic dental as any other country.