MANLY TEARS

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
Wushu Panda said:
Dead Poets Society
I saw that movie for the first time last night, and it almost. almost. brought manly tears, but not quiet.

The big two however are:
1. Schindlers List: pretty much the whole second half, but particularly right at the end when Schindler is leaving the factory.
2. The Road. Though they may not have been tears of sadness just horror.
[sub]I still haven't finished watching that movie yet. It sits there...taunting me[/sub]

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Robert Zemeckis' "Contact" gets to me in a huge way. So does "What Dreams May Come". There's just... something to Robin Williams when he puts the clown nose aside and goes serious that's utterly disarming.

Other than that? Uh... Oh, Afro Celt Sound System. That Celtic flute and those bagpipes? I'm not Irish or Scottish by any stretch of the word, but the waterworks never fail to be turned on by those. Don't ask me why. Irish Gaelic is one of the most beautiful languages I've heard.

Feb 13, 2008
.No. said:
Episode? I'm pretty certain there wasn't episodes, but I know that Bill Watterson wasn't against the idea. He just didn't like the thought of casting someone to voice the characters.
Last strip then.

Actually, worse than that is the one where Calvin starts taking Ritalin. That's heart-rending. :( :( :(
But

If you didn't cry, you're heartless.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
The ending to Angel Beats.
The final mission in Red Dead Redemption (even though it was spoiled for me).
The part from Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days were...
Roxas kills Xion.

Oct 12, 2011
The Lion King never made for the manly tears for me. I simply fell into a simmering thirst for vengeance against Scar at that point.

Up, on the other hand got me. So did the opening sequence in Finding Nemo.

And, I will admit it, the ending of Saving Private Ryan drew the manly tears forth!

But, then again, the first movie I ever cried over as a child was the old Harryhausen King Kong. Poor Kong, he never deserved such a fate!

LordXel

Sep 25, 2010
Toy Story 3 because of how beautiful it was.
The Shawshank Redemption because of how beautiful it was.
Spirited Away because of how beautiful it was.
The Green Mile because >SNIFFCries like a baby< Seriously, I couldn't take the crying. Fuck you Green Mile, you magnificent film!

I'll also add the South Park season 5 episode Kenny Dies. Really strange that I sob like a child over the death of a character who already died several times.

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
.No. said:
Episode? I'm pretty certain there wasn't episodes, but I know that Bill Watterson wasn't against the idea. He just didn't like the thought of casting someone to voice the characters.
Last strip then.

Actually, worse than that is the one where Calvin starts taking Ritalin. That's heart-rending. :( :( :(
But

That made me tear a little. I rarely do that.
The closest official thing to those would be when a dog takes Hobbes.

geezah91

Feb 17, 2010
Apart from the death of a loved one, I've only experienced this ultra-manly phenomenon three times in my 20 years on this planet. Firstly at the Grey Havens scene in Return of the King, next at the final scene in the 3rd season of Digimon, and and of course during THAT scene in Toy Story 3

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Toy Story 3.

Many manly tears were cried that day.

Even a sob or two.
This.
In Walking Dead when he gets back with his family (sorry, spoiler I guess) I teared up pretty bad.
Howl's Moving Castle makes me tear up a bit.
Theres a few other movies that bring the tears, but I can't think which right now.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
.No. said:
Last strip then.

But

;_;
That is probably of the saddest things I have ever seen...

Feb 13, 2008
.No. said:
That made me tear a little. I rarely do that.
The closest official thing to those would be when a dog takes Hobbes.
They're actually official. Bill Watterson was very against preventing children playing. A lot of the C/H strips, like Peanuts and the rest, had liberal doses of satire.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
NovaCascade said:
Jonluw said:
Fucking Clannad after story.
That flower field scene.

To my credit, that was the only time. And only one tear.
Seriously? that was the only time? I watched both series over the course of about a fortnight and I must have been in tears at least every 3 or 4 episodes. That show absolutely tore my heart to shreds. I actually stopped watching after
Nagisa died
Ah I remember that.
I was sitting there just thinking to myself
"Oh my god, it looks like she's going to die. This episode is totally building up to it. They can't do that. She's the main character. That's cruel."
Then, when she'd just given birth.
"Look: She's alive. She's just tired. Everyone's tired after giving birth. No! Why is she falling asleep. Okay, it's a feint. It has to be."
And then, as Tomoya sits there holding Ushio, it's dawning on me.
I sit there, watching. Shocked. And I follow Tomoya in the next few episodes.

A few episodes pass, and I go on with my life. But suddenly something changes. Tomoya confronts reality, and the tension is building.
As this song plays, it all appears to peak.
And there I sit. Afterwards. I had endured it. Everything was alright. They were on the train home now. I was strong. Not even their reunion could break me.
I got through it. It was over. Kyoani had stopped putting me through this...

"...That was what mommy was like.
And...
Mommy... Mommy was...
Nagisa..."

And as those lines break through what little remaining mental guard I have, bringing the full emotional impact of the entire series upon me, everything the dyke I had constructed in my heart was holding back came crashing over me. And try as I might to hold it back; a solitary tear runs down my cheek.
Clannad is the only story - fictional or real - which has managed to have such an impact on me.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Dogs dying. It makes me so very sad, as the owner of two dogs, to see them die. :'(

Anybody who didn't feel sad from this can go to a hospital and have their tear glands surgically removed, you have no use for them.

SpectralAnomaly

Apr 4, 2010
End of Gladiator, Toy Story 3, Saving Private Ryan, Pearl Harbour, at the end of both the Mass Effects, but they were tears of happiness. Manly happiness.

That's all I can think of now, there's probably more but they're most likely repressed.

Feb 13, 2008
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Anybody who didn't feel sad from this can go to a hospital and have their tear glands surgically removed, you have no use for them.
See, I don't get that from dogs (which makes me real popular as you can guess). I find Marley and Me quite dull and tedious.

Cats though...cats are very different.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
Grave of the Fireflies - That movie was sad I tell you.

The Lion King - Obvious moment is Obvious.

Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 16 and episode 18. Clannad was pretty keen on putting my heart through a blender.