Marathon Twitch Streamer Dies 20 Hours into Charity Stream

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
https://www.yahoo.com/news/gamer-dies-while-attempting-24-hour-stream-charity-120218884.html

I don't know why I even use Yahoo anymore. This story's already 4-5 days old, sorry if repost.

Anyways that's petty tragic, and condolences to his family. Guessing he must've had other health complications, as his friend talked about a blood clot. Being a smoker certainly didn't help.

What's your opinion on marathon streaming sessions? I'm sure some people are making bank on it, but there's always a line.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
This is going to sound super insensitive given what happened but I'm going to go with it anyway...

There is nothing wrong with marathon streaming sessions. A healthy human being shouldn't have any trouble (besides like...being sleepy obviously and maybe boredom) staying awake for 24 hours.

Personally, I don't watch them at all because I find watching anyone just sit around and playing video games to be painfully boring (I get that there is usually more to those streams than that but I just find them painfully boring).

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Probably wiser to have gone with a charity run, in retrospect. With all due respect. Just a bit of advice for others desiring fundraising activities with unoptimal health.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
This is going to sound super insensitive given what happened but I'm going to go with it anyway...

There is nothing wrong with marathon streaming sessions. A healthy human being shouldn't have any trouble (besides like...being sleepy obviously and maybe boredom) staying awake for 24 hours.

Personally, I don't watch them at all because I find watching anyone just sit around and playing video games to be painfully boring (I get that there is usually more to those streams than that but I just find them painfully boring).
As far as I'm aware healthy people can still get blood clots. I could be wrong, I dunno that much about them. There's a reason they tell people on long flights to move their legs around and get up to take a walk.

Fun story: one of my friends became a cop and one of his first call-outs was to a guy who died playing an MMO but his flat was filled with hiking equipment and he was obviously a fit guy.

While you're right that the streamer was probably unhealthy, sometimes people just die.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Here Comes Tomorrow said:
tippy2k2 said:

As far as I'm aware healthy people can still get blood clots. I could be wrong, I dunno that much about them. There's a reason they tell people on long flights to move their legs around and get up to take a walk.

Fun story: one of my friends became a cop and one of his first call-outs was to a guy who died playing an MMO but his flat was filled with hiking equipment and he was obviously a fit guy.

While you're right that the streamer was probably unhealthy, sometimes people just die.
Oh it's certainly not impossible for a perfectly healthy person to just drop dead like that (and to my knowledge, you are correct on the blood clot thing; it's why I get up from gaming/work every hour or so to move around a minute), it's just not terribly likely.

Once in a blue moon, some poor bastard will draw the short straw no matter how fit they are but that short straw was being drawn whether they sat down to play video games or doing something else. I can't find the damn quote so I'm going to paraphrase Dr Cox from Scrubs on this one (probably badly, assuming I'm even quoting the right person at this point considering I can't find it anywhere):

"I've seen marathon runners drop dead at the age of 25 and smokers and drinkers live to their 80s. Sometimes people just die"

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Nature Guardian said:
I'm going to be rude and blunt, but I hate Twich streamers.

A marathon of 24 hours sitting in front of a screen doing something completely useless in the hope of making money is the epithome of a horrible society.

You could've used those 24 hours to search for a productive job - anything is productive, wether it's doing scientifical research or cleaning an office.

You could've used those 24 hours for, at the very least, staying with your loved ones.

But nope.

You used those 24 hours to do the least productive, laziest activity in the world. Because you only care about yourself, about money, and about strangers on the internet looking at you because you're so special.

Youtube personalities who become rich by being as offensive as possible, Twitch streamers whose ambition in life is making money by doing something completely useless to anybody..... I am STILL waiting for World War 3, because global warming is too slow a death, and I'd like something that ends the world fast, not slowly and bit by bit.

Did you miss the part that he was doing it for charity, and had raised $11,000? I get that streaming and youtubing is a pretty shallow way to contribute to society in the grand scheme of things, but it wasn't exactly as you describe in this case.

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
hanselthecaretaker said:
Nature Guardian said:

A marathon of 24 hours sitting in front of a screen doing something completely useless in the hope of making money is the epithome of a horrible society.

You could've used those 24 hours to search for a productive job - anything is productive, wether it's doing scientifical research or cleaning an office.

You could've used those 24 hours for, at the very least, staying with your loved ones.

But nope.

You used those 24 hours to do the least productive, laziest activity in the world. Because you only care about yourself, about money, and about strangers on the internet looking at you because you're so special.

Youtube personalities who become rich by being as offensive as possible, Twitch streamers whose ambition in life is making money by doing something completely useless to anybody..... I am STILL waiting for World War 3, because global warming is too slow a death, and I'd like something that ends the world fast, not slowly and bit by bit.

Did you miss the part that he was doing it for charity, and had raised $11,000? I get that streaming and youtubing is a pretty shallow way to contribute to society in the grand scheme of things, but it wasn't exactly as you describe in this case.

Let me guess, was that AIDS charity or some other immediate, typical charity which is the kind people pick when they know nothing about charities so they just pick the first and easily recognizable one?

Most streamers do "charity". It's a way to legitimate what they are doing.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Nature Guardian said:

But nope.

If Youtubers and Twitch streamers are a good reason to wish the death and suffering of billions of innocents, then I'll be blunt and rude and say fuck you.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Has no one here heard of a DVT???

The first post mentioned a blood clot. This being 20 hours into a session of immobility, doesn't seem surprising at all.

I still find this sad because the individual was doing it for a good cause.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Yikes. Another reason to not smoke. Sucks to see a guy go like that.

I heard the world record for a live-stream gaming session is only like 63 hours or something. I once thought that I could kickstart a decently-populated channel by breaking this record, but I don't know if I have the type of fortitude to stay up that long, let alone do all of it while gaming. I'm the kind of person that doesn't feel rested unless I get 9-10 hours of sleep. I stayed up 48 hours once out of pure desperation when I absolutely HAD to get school projects done. It felt like my muscles were going to peel off, and at some points I didn't mind if I would've just dropped dead if it meant I got some rest out of it.

If you're of normal health, I don't see what's wrong with 24-hour gaming sessions. I often pull 18-hour days, many of the later hours being gaming. 4 extra hours wouldn't make a huge difference. If I were a streamer, I'd be doing them weekly. It would be my gimmick.

Nature Guardian said:
Someone's off their meds.

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
CaitSeith said:
If Youtubers and Twitch streamers are a good reason to wish the death and suffering of billions of innocents, then I'll be blunt and rude and say fuck you.

Oh they are not a reason.

They are a symptom of the reason.

("Innocents"?)

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
MHR said:

At least I don't pull 18-hours gaming sessons and I don't daydream of being a streamer that does regular streaming marathons.

I think the desires you have in your life out what kind of person you are.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Nature Guardian said:
MHR said:

At least I don't pull 18-hours gaming sessons and I don't daydream of being a streamer that does regular streaming marathons.

I said I was awake 18 hours sometimes, not that all of that was gaming.

Too bad about your meds. Some people end up cutting themselves, maybe suicide. They at least usually have the decency to keep it to themselves. Then there's you.

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
MHR said:
Nature Guardian said:
MHR said:

I said I was awake 18 hours sometimes, not that all of that was gaming.

Too bad about your meds. Some people end up cutting themselves, maybe suicide. They at least usually have the decency to keep it to themselves. Then there's you.

Oh I'm sorry I'm bothering you with clinical depression, pal. Thanks for reminding me it's not worth going on.

I should kill myself; the world is for people whose dream in life is making money by doing something selfish and useless and egocentric.

OreoDoublestuff

Nov 18, 2009
Nature Guardian said:
Oh I'm sorry I'm bothering you with clinical depression, pal. Thanks for reminding me it's not worth going on.

I should kill myself; the world is for people whose dream in life is making money by doing something selfish and useless and egocentric.
Ok, dude, you wanting to kill yourself does not give you the right to be an ass to everyone else. I'd bet half the people on this forum are, or have been suicidal, and I imagine most of them manage to not take their misery out on others.

As to your point, 99% of us, generously, are entirely marginal human beings. There is no shame in being inconsequential. As to their worth, there are people that find streamers entertaining. They brighten a person's day every so often and as someone with depression, you should appreciate how valuable that is to a person. Does it matter in the grand scheme? No, because nothing matters in the grand scheme. Let people enjoy what they enjoy, even if you happen to think it's pointless.

Lastly, for fucks sake, get a therapist, or if you already do, please bring this hatred of other people's fun up at your next session.

P.S. Thank you for letting me feel superior for five minutes. That I know you understand the value of.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Nature Guardian said:

Everybody has problems, friend.

When you jump into every thread claiming without sarcasm that world war 3 needs to happen and that millions should die, don't go hiding behind clinical depression once people start to get a bit tired of your BS.

You seem to think yourself an expert on what is and isn't productive, but here you are posting on a geek forum just like the rest of us shmucks.

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
OreoDoublestuff said:
Nature Guardian said:

Ok, dude, you wanting to kill yourself does not give you the right to be an ass to everyone else. I'd bet half the people on this forum are, or have been suicidal, and I imagine most of them manage to not take their misery out on others.

As to your point, 99% of us, generously, are entirely marginal human beings. There is no shame in being inconsequential. As to their worth, there are people that find streamers entertaining. They brighten a person's day every so often and as someone with depression, you should appreciate how valuable that is to a person. Does it matter in the grand scheme? No, because nothing matters in the grand scheme. Let people enjoy what they enjoy, even if you happen to think it's pointless.

Lastly, for fucks sake, get a therapist, or if you already do, please bring this hatred of other people's fun up at your next session.

P.S. Thank you for letting me feel superior for five minutes. That I know you understand the value of.

Your comment speaks for yourself.

You think nothing is productive, nothing matters in the grand scheme. If everyone thought like that, we would still be living in caves. 'Nuff said.

Of course, when one believes nothing is productive or consequential, it's easy to think being a Twitch streamer is a respectable job.

Oh, and I appreciated that little comment about feeling superior.
I love it when people don't want me to act a certain way.... then proceed to act that same way. Mixed messages here, buddy.

You know, speaking of therapists, you should find one, and tell them how you think nothing matters in the grand scheme.
And -I- thought I had it bad. Hey, my depression comes precisely from knowing how EVERYTHING matters in the grand scheme.