March Madness 2010?

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
I know there was some controversy and forum trolling last year, especially with Turbine's last minute antics, but does anyone know if the Escapist will be giving March Madness again this year?

Last year I found this to be a really compelling "meta-game" that made me really examine different developer's libraries and remember all the cool stuff they made, or alternatively, all the times they burned me.

I'd really like this event to make a return this year, but I'm worried that the Escapist staff took too much punishment yesteryear and now we all suffer. I will say that the "Escapist Awards" are a poor substitute for March Madness, if that's the intention.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Would be interesting, seeing as I keep hearing about it but never got to actually see it

Still, if it would cause mass Trolls, I would rather avoid it altogether.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
It was a novel idea at first. Then it went to chaos. IF they do it again, let's hope they have much more scriter rules.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Sorry to be a n00b but I've heard of it and have no idea what it is? Anyone wanna give me an informative link?

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I'll be opting out of March Madness. I was voting when I thought it was decided by a cross section of the gaming community. I soon found out that I was nieve and it was simply about which developers spent the most time mobilising their fanboys.

It gets more traffic to the site though so I'm guessing they will do it again. I wonder how many people joined up to vote last year and are still posting now?

Sronpop

Mar 26, 2009
It was insane last year, forced me to sign up because of it! Was so disappointed nether Valve or Bioware won. I bet Bioware would be a shoe-in to win it this year, 2 amazing games. Damn all the trolls of previous years!

It would be great to have it back, but only for genuine members, like maybe have a lock on the voting for people who have been here at least 2 weeks etc.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Well, perhaps around the time of March Madness, the escapist could prevent people from registering? Sorta like what xkcd when they made that comic pokeing fun at 4chan?

Not the best idea, but it would prevent another incident like last years.

(Altough i wasen't around then, so what do i know.)

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Diagonal Horizontality said:
BlindMessiah94 said:
Sorry to be a n00b but I've heard of it and have no idea what it is? Anyone wanna give me an informative link?
[a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90207-2009-March-Mayhem-Developers-Showdown-Starts-Today]This article[/a] explains most of it.

They also forced us to watch a cut-down, unskippable version of [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/612-March-Mayhem-Pre-Tournament-Show]this[/a] before every video last March.
Ughh... that sounds...awful.

I may put my head under the sand.

Zildjin81

Feb 7, 2009
People keep saying that there should be some way to halt joining The Escapist during march madness but what they don't realize is that march madness is all about adding more members.