March Mayhem Round 3 Review - Great Eight Begins

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Xzi said:
I'm sorry, but no matter how good Minecraft is, that one title shouldn't have Mojang beating other developers who have released quality titles that number the double digits. And that's all there really is to it. Quality + quantity > quality alone.
I am voting my personal tastes. I don't play Nintendo games or Epic games and I see no reason I myself should vote for them. This doesn't mean that I consider them bad developers, merely that I have no reason to vote for them. As for Mojang, I enjoy Minecraft.

For me heavily favoring history and quantity overly favors large studios over small ones and old studios over new ones. This doesn't mean that I consider them unreasonable considerations, if you like several games from one developer chances are you will favor them over a developer that has only produced one game you enjoy. But again it's been ages since I've played anything by Nintendo or Epic so while I can appreciate them abstractly there is no real weight behind this.

Everyone brings their own considerations to MM and I don't begrudge anyone this. Some people are hardcore about recent activity, some people emphasis history, to each there own. But please don't begrudge me my considerations - and as someone who doesn't play games by these developers I see no reason why I should vote for them over Mojang.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Hmm gotta be Capcom for me there for two reasons: Orange Box is a great game but it suffered from abysmal porting and annoying fanboyism from the developers for one of its platforms and the Devil May Cry series and Resident Evil are just pure camp fun. I'd still have Blizzard win overall though, ideally in an epic one-on-one battle with Capcom or Bioware.

Think it's also got to be Obsidian for their match though, I love Minecraft but it's not so much a game on its own more like a huge box of Lego bricks.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
This competition got predictably boring fast.

All the original and creative developers got their arses kicked while the usual big names end up fighting for the top spot.

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
Ubermetalhed said:

All the original and creative developers got their arses kicked while the usual big names end up fighting for the top spot.
Mojang disagrees with your assessment...

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Sapient Pearwood said:
Hmm gotta be Capcom for me there for two reasons: Orange Box is a great game but it suffered from abysmal porting and annoying fanboyism from the developers for one of its platforms and the Devil May Cry series and Resident Evil are just pure camp fun. I'd still have Blizzard win overall though, ideally in an epic one-on-one battle with Capcom or Bioware.
I'm really surprised at the lack of Capcom votes vs Valve. I know Valve is highly loved here, but Capcom has quantity and quality going for them. They also have games out for just about everyone:
-Fighting game fans: Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom
-"Games are art" defenders: Okami
-Retro Gamers: Mega Man
-Survival Horror fans: Resident Evil
-Action game fans: Devil May Cry
-Games that appeal to the East: Monster Hunter
-Games that appeal to the West: Dead Rising
-Third Person Shooter fans: Lost Planet
-Puzzles: Zak and Wiki

So even going up against Valve, I expected a stronger showing than what happened. I'm not outraged or even annoyed, just surprised.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
mojodamm said:
Ubermetalhed said:

That's only one developer though. And one which is the new internet fad more than anything.

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
Ubermetalhed said:
mojodamm said:
Ubermetalhed said:

That's only one developer though. And one which is the new internet fad more than anything.
Then "ALL" original and creative developers have not gotten their arses kicked, although them even making it out of the first round screwed my bracket :(

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
DustyDrB said:
So even going up against Valve, I expected a stronger showing than what happened. I'm not outraged or even annoyed, just surprised.
Yeah Capcom have got a bit of a reputation for making games that are very camp and very stupid and while I can't exactly disagree with that I can say that they're very fun. Valve's strongest game is TF2 in my opinion and it is a good game but I wouldn't rank it above Capcom's entire roster.

MrLate

Mar 15, 2011
Valve have also HL series, which is very, very popular. Counter-Strike:Source is also a popular game with lots of players. Also don't forget L4D :D.

Valve might not have so many games, but most of them are quite popular.

Zabriskie Point

Nov 22, 2010
Ubermetalhed said:

Yeah man, Valve is so unoriginal and uncreative.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Zabriskie Point said:
Ubermetalhed said:

I'd say developers like Quantic Dream, Double Fine, Media Molecule, Plantinum games etc. are more original and creative than Valve.

Valve just uses the same engine for everything, sure they have some interesting mechanics but at the end of the day they are another one of these big, highly funded companies.

Besides what have they actually put out recently? Sure Portal 2 is coming out but for the last year or so there has been nothing of note. Hence this is just a fanboy vote for people who still cream themselves over the unspectacular Half-life 2.

Zabriskie Point

Nov 22, 2010
Ubermetalhed said:
Zabriskie Point said:
Ubermetalhed said:

I'd say developers like Quantic Dream, Double Fine, Media Molecule, Plantinum games etc. are more original and creative than Valve.

Valve just uses the same engine for everything, sure they have some interesting mechanics but at the end of the day they are another one of these big, highly funded companies.

Besides what have they actually put out recently? Sure Portal 2 is coming out but for the last year or so there has been nothing of note. Hence this is just a fanboy vote for people who still cream themselves over the unspectacular Half-life 2.
They use the same engine for everything because it's their fucking engine. It's not like they don't update it every time they release a new game, because they do. Your knocking them because they're big and have a lot of money? Could you get any more hipster?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/half-life-2/critic-reviews

Yeah, Half-Life 2 is so unspectacular with its 81 positive reviews and 0 negative reviews.

How dare Valve not be obscure, how DARE them.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Zabriskie Point said:
Ubermetalhed said:
Zabriskie Point said:
Ubermetalhed said:

They use the same engine for everything because it's their fucking engine. It's not like they don't update it every time they release a new game, because they do. Your knocking them because they're big and have a lot of money? Could you get any more hipster?

Yeah, Half-Life 2 is so unspectacular with its 81 positive reviews and 0 negative reviews.

I'm knocking the fact that fanboy kids like you, who weren't around when Valve were actually new and innovative, (you were 4 years old when Half-life came out) vote in these competitions for the most well known developer (arguably the 'trendiest' developer which is now Valve) and in this case a developer who hasn't done anything of merit for a long while. This contest is based on reputation not on the quality of recent work.

Zabriskie Point

Nov 22, 2010
Ubermetalhed said:
Zabriskie Point said:
Ubermetalhed said:
Zabriskie Point said:
Ubermetalhed said:

I'm knocking the fact that fanboy kids like you, who weren't around when Valve were actually new and innovative, (you were 4 years old when Half-life came out) vote in these competitions for the most well known developer (arguably the 'trendiest' developer which is now Valve) and in this case a developer who hasn't done anything of merit for a long while. This contest is based on reputation not on the quality of recent work.
Wait, I'm a fanboy? No really, you just called me a fanboy? Please point out to me anywhere in this forum where I showed signs of being a fanboy. Just because I like a certain developer doesn't mean I'm a fanboy. Are you a Double Fine fanboy? Ya know, cuz, you were saying that you think they're innovative. That means you must be a fanboy.

Good to see you've already stooped low enough to throw the fact that I'm only 15 into this argument, even though it's completely irrelevant. I think your superiority complex is clouding your judgment, a common symptom in most hipsters nowadays.

Zabriskie Point

Nov 22, 2010
Vendur said:
Zabriskie Point said:
Ubermetalhed said:
Zabriskie Point said:
Ubermetalhed said:

Steam
Well there's your first mistake.

With Portal, a small team was making it, and Valve loved the idea. they hired that small team to work with Valve to make Portal. Team Fortress was originally a Quake mod, but Valve definitely made Team Fortress 2. There is no disputing this, it's fact.

Valve has done anything in years?
2007 - TF2, Portal, Episode 2
2008 - Left 4 Dead (One of the best zombie games ever made)
2009 - Left 4 Dead 2
2010 - Massive amount of updates to Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike: Source.

This brings up another point. Releasing games isn't the only job of developers. Valve continues to update their games, which keeps people playing them. CSS was released in 2004 and is still the most played game on Steam. TF2 was released in 2007 and still has thousand of people playing it.

Just because they didn't release a game in 2010 doesn't mean they weren't hard at work. Unlike Call of Duty, it takes more than a year to develop a game. They've been working on Portal 2 for a long time now, while updating the games they've already released.