Marine Mike Reviews: Bullet Penetration

Marine Mike

Mar 3, 2010
Welcome Escapists to a new edition of Marine Mike Reviews, where I take my knowledge of modern warfighting and compare it to the video game world. Due to popular request, today's review will take a look into the concept of bullet penetration.

Hiding behind a chest-high wall might save your life... from a pistol.
Modern rifle rounds are specifically designed for penetrating armor at long ranges. This is achieved through a pointed tip, longer cartridge, and smalled caliber compared to pistols. The typical US Military M855 5.56x45mm ball ammunition used in the M4 and M16 type weapons is capable of penetrating a 1/8" (3mm) steel plate at 600 meters, so that brick wall you're content to crouch behind doesn't stand a chance. Keep in mind that the 5.56 NATO round is widely consider the "weaker" of the widely used rifle rounds, the 7.62x51mm NATO round (used by weapons such as the M240 machine gun and M40 sniper rifle) has about DOUBLE the delivered energy.
-As a side note, I'm playing around with this unit conversion thingie and have determined that the Big Mac is mightier than the machine gun. Really, the 7.62 NATO delivers about 3,275 Joules of energy while the energy contained in the Big Mac converts to 2,302,740 Joules... perhaps someone familiar with converting Calories into other units of energy can explain this to me.
So, considering that the majority of surfaces in the game world are just like life and not made of rolled homogeneous steel armor we can determine that the standard 5.56 NATO rifle (and by extension, all rifles firing higher calibers) would be able to penetrate the majority of surfaces on any given level.

Well, even if they're not steel, most surfaces are a lot thicker than 1/8".
This is a very astute observation, which is why we will now take a look at the anatomy of your standard rifle bullet. Remember the 5.56mm M855 bullet I mentioned earlier? The bullet itself is a full metal jacket, meaning that the core is completely jacketed in a copper "skin" that you can see deforming and peeling away in the picture on the left. Inside the copper jacket is a steel core which is a much harder material than the copper. A general rule when two different materials collide is that the less dense material gives way to the denser one. So while a bullet may have the energy to penetrate only 1/8" of steel which is about the same density as the bullet's core, that wall you're hiding behind is made of bricks it is far less dense than the bullet meaning it take less energy to penetrate further. We are taught to make sandbag walls three deep (the long way comes to about 36") because that is the minimum amount to stop the typical AK-47 bullet. Now think about that wall you've chosen to hide behind, how thick was it when you ran up to it? Most shooters make the obvious cover look like its between 12" and 18" which is great if you're hiding behind reinforced concrete or anarmored bulkhead, just about anything else will only provide concealment and minimal cover. What about building walls, you say? Again the same applies here, rifle rounds will reliably penetrate a brick wall and will penetrate multiple interior walls (A lovely experiment shown here [http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm] shows that even a 9mm pistol will penetrate more than 6 interior walls)... even if the bullet hits a stud it wouldn't be enough to stop the bullet from being dangerous.

Lets find out what happens to bullet after they penetrate a piece of cover.
Once a 5.56mm NATO round impacts something its flight path become wildly unpredictable in a phenomenon known as "tumbling". Once a round begins to tumble it loses a lot of penetrating power but will still cause grievous wounds if impacting a 'soft' target such as your head. Larger caliber rounds are typically heavier and thus will need a more substantial impact to begin tumbling, and can therefore be fired through multiple obstacles and still achieve its desired effect (death). If the bullet impacts a tougher obstacle the round will begin to fragment and tumble as it releases its energy into the target. If the projectile managed to penetrate the obstacle after this it will likely be the steel core and several fragments of copper jacketing. With a lot of the round's energy being released into the obstacle its likely to send fragments of concrete/brick/wood flying in the direction the bullet is travelling. While at this point the core of the projectile is probably the only lethal part left, you can't underestimate the disorienting effect the secondary missiles would cause.

I mentioned pistols in the beginning so I'll do a short bit on them.
Most pistol rounds are not designed for penetration. They have a blunted tip and have a tendency to flatten on impact with a hard target. Because of these different properties as compared to rifle rounds, they tend to disperse almost all of their energy upon impact with a target. Therefore, even if a pistol round manages to penetrate an obstacle chances are it has already lost the majority of its velocity and thus its killing power. The exception to this are thin targets like drywall and sheet metal that don't cause the bullet to deform, so the bullet will maintain most of its energy.

Also, don't even think you're safe behind a car for a second, unless you're hiding behind the engine.

So why don't games use a more realistic penetration system?
Similar to my review on grenades, a lot of realism comes from unpredictability. It would be extremely difficult to have a bullet tumbling off course through several interior walls and hitting someone 6 feet to the right of the point of impact. Current games have the bullets travel through the walls in a straight line only with reduced damage, which is about the most effort even a huge budget game would be willing to do for a relatively small game concept. As for why they don't use realistic penetration depths? That would mean that anything made of sheet metal, brick, drywall, glass, or wood the majority of the primary weapons in the game would be able to shoot through and kill you... people would simply use cover less than they use it now. I personally would like to be able to shoot straight through a house with a machine gun and be able to kill someone on the other side, but then again most players would rather eat their controller than see that happen on their kill-cam. Do you think you would have fun in a game where anyone's weapon would still be lethal through 6 walls? Remember, given enough ammunition even that concrete bunker can be penetrated. I only wish I could get my hands on Bad Company 2 to see how the destructible environment holds up.

There topic was probably one of the most fun and most frustrating ones to research, but along the way I found a spectacular 10 minute video of slow-motion bullet impacts.
<youtube=LKR4atl8h-I>

Thank you to all of you who enjoy reading my reviews, I may eventually do a Bullet Penetration Part 2 if I can dig up some more data on the subject. Also, as a side note, I was thinking about renaming this series to "Games and Ammo" kinda like the magazine "Guns and Ammo"... let me know what you think.

RPGs, Rockets, and Backblast [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.191392-Marine-Mike-Reviews-RPGs-Rockets-and-Backblast]
Grenades [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.190907-Marine-Mike-Reviews-Grenades]
Magazines and Reloading [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.191343-Marine-Mike-Reviews-Magazines-and-Reloading]
Things to know about me: I served in the US Marine Corps for four years from 2003-2007 as an Infantry Anti-Tank Assaultman. I've had two deployments to Iraq and one to Haiti, and love to talk about my experiences to anyone willing to listen.

COMING SOON:
-Combat Optics
-M4A1 Carbine
-M18 Claymore

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Excellent review. Only have one question: can you find any sites (Or other sources) that show a comparison of steel penetration to 'real life' (Actual concrete penetration, etc), penetration? I've only found one, which was 5.56 specific, and it seems rather... wrong to me.

I always thought the 5.56 round was somewhere around a quarter to a half an inch of steel though. Now there's egg on my face.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Yup, this series still rocks. Congrats on another informative and fun review. I think Games and Ammo is a great title.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Another great look at the contrast between games and reality. I throughly enjoyed it and that slo-mo bullet video was awesome.

Marine Mike

Mar 3, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
Excellent review. Only have one question: can you find any sites (Or other sources) that show a comparison of steel penetration to 'real life' (Actual concrete penetration, etc), penetration? I've only found one, which was 5.56 specific, and it seems rather... wrong to me.

I always thought the 5.56 round was somewhere around a quarter to a half an inch of steel though. Now there's egg on my face.
That was the frustrating part of doing research for this review, I couldn't find any sites that had the material penetration comparisons I was looking for. The link and the last picture in my review are from a nifty site called The Box o' Truth [http://www.theboxotruth.com/] that compares penetration with a lot of different cartridges and materials. Also, the 5.56mm M995 "Black Tip" will penetrate 1/2" of rolled steel at about 100 meters... I managed to snag a magazine full in Iraq from one of our SAW gunners.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Marine Mike said:
That was the frustrating part of doing research for this review, I couldn't find any sites that had the material penetration comparisons I was looking for. The link and the last picture in my review are from a nifty site called The Box o' Truth [http://www.theboxotruth.com/] that compares penetration with a lot of different cartridges and materials. Also, the 5.56mm M995 "Black Tip" will penetrate 1/2" of rolled steel at about 100 meters... I managed to snag a magazine full in Iraq from one of our SAW gunners.
I've never actually gotten to use armor piercing rounds. I suppose that's a good thing.

I saw that site as well, and it seems... off. I rolled the numbers around in my head and they don't seem accurate. But they know more than me I'm guessing.

I've seen tank penetration guides before, but its hard to compare a 120mm uranium SABOT round that can punch through yards of steel to a rifle round. I'm going to dig through some military TMs and ARs next week to see if I can;t find something: I doubt it, but its worth a shot.

51gunner

Jun 12, 2008
I figure the people of the Gears universe are all using .22 LR, just to make things sporting. I digress.

Great to see someone putting the truth out there.

Marine Mike

Mar 3, 2010
51gunner said:
I figure the people of the Gears universe are all using .22 LR, just to make things sporting. I digress.

Great to see someone putting the truth out there.
I saw the name 51gunner and got excited for a minute, the MOS designation for my job in the Marines was 0351. The "03" is the infantry designation and "51" was for Assaultmen, people refer to the SMAW gunners as "51 gunners". Also, even the .22 LR made it through 6 sheets of 5/8" drywall... maybe they're using frangible ammunition.

51gunner

Jun 12, 2008
Marine Mike said:
I saw the name 51gunner and got excited for a minute, the MOS designation for my job in the Marines was 0351. The "03" is the infantry designation and "51" was for Assaultmen, people refer to the SMAW gunners as "51 gunners". Also, even the .22 LR made it through 6 sheets of 5/8" drywall... maybe they're using frangible ammunition.
Shame to get your hopes up. I'm from 51 Battery, Royal Canadian Artillery. I made this account when my rank was still Gunner. (Arty MOS is 00008 in the CF, Infantry is 00010. We don't differentiate farther than that.)

I just figure it's some tiny round that doesn't actually penetrate their armor. They get knocked down by losing their balance from repeated impacts; their armor is too heavy to stand back up again unassisted. After a few seconds, they regain their balance and are totally fine. Even if they get knocked over, as long as someone helps them up again before the blood rushes to their head they'll be fine. Silly, I know, but I find it makes the game funnier. Anyways, way off topic.

As to the units, the Big Mac has more energy in it, but the bullet transfers it a hell of a lot faster. If it helps you get your head around it a little better, imagine how far you'd have to carry that one bullet to work off the food energy in a big mac (not counting the energy to move yourself). A lot farther than max range of the weapon, eh?

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Huh. I never really thought about it that much. So much for any time I've ever taken cover in a game. My vital organs would have had roommates. As always, well thought out and informative. "Games and Ammo" sounds like a pretty good name to me. Looking forward to the next one.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
And yet another great review. It's perfectly understandable why bullets don't go through six consecutive walls in games - this would take some serious processing power, and what's more important, amounts of resulting RAGE would be unbelieveable.

That new name sounds pretty decent, you may as well rename these series.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Note to self: In even of spontaneous gunfight, do not hide behind cars or chest high walls.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Fantastic. Well written, and I see your points. I also agree that the cover has to stay something like what it is. People use far too little cover already! The first thing game makers should fix is how much people can take tho. I DON'T want to see my enemies taking 4 rounds to the chest and still be able to stand and fire back at me...

I can only wonder tho, if you could indeed shoot through several walls, would people just sit on their sides of the maps and empty clips into the walls hoping for kills? Cause that would be possible =3.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
I think Games and Ammo is a good title.

You should really get your hands on a copy of Bad Company 2, it's a great "realistic" shooter. But the destruction physics are both good and bad (Bad in the sense you can't destroy an upper floor or the corner of a building).

Actually, speaking of BC2 an interesting review would be to look at bullet drop in games (particularly BC2) and shotgun ranges. I've always thought the Battlefield to have infamously long-range shotguns.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Wait wait wait, so standard issue bullets have a full metal jacket? Then what the fuck is the point of the FMJ "attachment" in MW2?

I approve of Games and Ammo.

Marine Mike

Mar 3, 2010
fanklok said:
Wait wait wait, so standard issue bullets have a full metal jacket? Then what the fuck is the point of the FMJ "attachment" in MW2?

I approve of Games and Ammo.
Military ammunition is required by international law to have a full metal jacket. The "FMJ" attachment is just developer ignorance since it would be far more accurate to make it say "AP ammo" and have it do the same thing. As a reference standard 5.56 "ball" ammo is a full metal jacket with either a steel penetrator and lead core or just a steel core, the 5.56 "AP" ammo is a metal jacket with a tungsten core.

Marine Mike

Mar 3, 2010
Hey guys here's something I found that may be of interest, the .50 BMG round (you know, the one used in the Barrett M82 and M107?) not only can penetrate almost an inch (like .825" or 22mm) of rolled steel armor there is a special armor piercing round called the SLAP. Saboted Light Armor Penetrating rounds fire a .30 caliber tungsten penetrator out of a .50 caliber discarding sabot. For any who are wondering what a sabot is, its a (usually) plastic sheath around a projectile allowing for a smaller caliber round to be fired through a larger caliber barrel with the same amount of propellant of the larger caliber cartridge. This results in a much higher muzzle velocity and better armor penetration since the projectile's energy will be focused on a smaller surface area on impact. The SLAP round is capable of penetrating close to three inches or armor plating, and maintains effectiveness against 3/4" armor plate at 1500 meters (0.93 miles)!! You can see the SLAP round pictured on the left with the standard .50 BMG round on the right. If you think its dangerous in video games, that SLAP round gives you even more reason to "Fear the .50".