Marines posed with Nazi SS symbol in Afghanistan

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
[zonking great said:
]God. I can't believe some you people are defending those moronic snipers.
American ignorance much?
Ooh, and what bastion of intelligence and virtue do you hail from?

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Blablahb said:
Ironically, to pick a threat that was fictional at the time and wouldn't offend anyone, in Sierra's Swat 3; Close Quarters Battle [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWAT_3:_Close_Quarters_Battle#Factions], a movement called Sovereign America forms the main group of badguys.
And in SWAT 2, it was an American extremist religious cult.

Apr 15, 2009
Really, I couldn't give a damn if they were waving the nazi flag around
+ the SS design looks cool as hell imho

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
The logo in question has been used since the mid-80's in the USMC Scout/Sniper squads. It's derived from the "Kiss" logo, and comes from the term "reach out and kiss you with a bullet".

Tartarga said:
They thought it meant sniper scout... is that even a thing?
...yes. Scout Sniper is very much a thing. The term "Sniper" is actually a misnomer, or at the very least, only half of the job description. Snipers are often described in civilian forces such as SWAT as Observer/Snipers. "Snipers" are long-range operators, generally working in pairs. They watch and report on enemy movement, giving up-to-date information on battle conditions, road conditions, potential threats, so on and so on. So before you go around toting your supposed knowledge, do some fact-checking of your own.

Elemantary - Dear Watson said:
First of all, sir, I do agree. We fuck up. A lot.

Secondly, it's no secret that the media hates us. It is the most two-faced, hypocritical thing I have ever witnessed.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
alandavidson said:
The logo in question has been used since the mid-80's in the USMC Scout/Sniper squads. It's derived from the "Kiss" logo, and comes from the term "reach out and kiss you with a bullet".

Tartarga said:
They thought it meant sniper scout... is that even a thing?
...yes. Scout Sniper is very much a thing. The term "Sniper" is actually a misnomer, or at the very least, only half of the job description. Snipers are often described in civilian forces such as SWAT as Observer/Snipers. "Snipers" are long-range operators, generally working in pairs. They watch and report on enemy movement, giving up-to-date information on battle conditions, road conditions, potential threats, so on and so on. So before you go around toting your supposed knowledge, do some fact-checking of your own.

First of all, sir, I do agree. We fuck up. A lot.

Secondly, it's no secret that the media hates us. It is the most two-faced, hypocritical thing I have ever witnessed.
Thanks for the insight on the logo! I hadn't seen it used before, but thought there was probably something behind it...

And I agree.. The media is definately worse than the enemy... hell the Taliban media is the worse of the lot!! The lies they spread are just rediculous... although nicely consistant... They even claimed to shoot down one of the British Red Arrows that crashed at an airshow...

Haha! There's nothing wrong with fucking up... there is something wrong with fucking up the same thing twice...! :p To be brutaly honest, if you guys were spending more time worrying about your image, and not fucking up, then I would be wondering who was doing your job... I feel safer knowing you guys are good at doing your jobs... the rest is trivia for others to worry about!

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
I always find people's views of the Naxis and the US army hilarious. The US army, by it's own admission, in the course of history, killed more civilians then Hitler and Stalin combined.

I'll give you an example, which one was the SS and which one was the US Army: Item One: The army enters the town suspecting they harbor insurgents, orders the civilian population to the town square, and then beats every man, woman, and child (they can catch) to death to save on munitions, and then burns the town to the ground. Item Two: The army enters the town, seizes several dozen civilians as suspected insurgents, execute the women, children and old men, and then force the remaining men to fight a sargent to the death as a public spectacle for the troops.

I might point out to the person posting above me that the number one and still reigning champ for symbols of genocide, oppression, and crimes against humanity is still the Stars and Stripes.

Ever since George Washington ordered the newly formed US army to slaughter every civilian town they came across in the Ohio Valley, the US Army has made guys like Stalin and Hitler look like amateurs.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Mr.Squishy said:
Soldiers dispatched to oppress people of a certain race by a country hell-bent on starting wars and using copious amounts of propaganda to make themselves look like the good guys posing with this flag is more appropriate than anyone might've thought. You know what parallells I'm drawing here.
You've got to be fucking kidding me. That's one of the more egregious examples of Godwin's law I've seen, and I've been compared to hitler for saying people shouldn't smoke in public.

balanovich

Jan 25, 2010
Pimppeter2 said:
LetalisK said:
Pimppeter2 said:
Looks more like the Kiss logo to me...!

And they didn't say they thought it meant that... they said their SS meant sniper scout... Sounds like you have right and truely jumpend on the media over exaggeration already...!
Oh, and my me sticking my middle finger at them I'm not saying Fuck you. No no no.

No, to me it means "Good job boys". Yeah, that's it...
Because symbols have universal meaning, right? I doubt the Marines weren't somehow cognizant of what it may have been tied to, but that is a horrible counter-argument.
Yes, a lot of symbols have universal meaning. Especially ones originating in a WORLD WAR where MARINES fought and DIED. If that symbol isn't known in America, then that's just kinda sad.

Maybe if we stopped funding the military and starting funding education...
Yes Pimppeter!, of course Marines wanted to be associated with racist fanatic murderers!(btw, i'm sarcastic)
Shame on them for not knowing a symbol of a group during a war during which they weren't even BORN! (still sarcastic)

Even if america put more money in education, do you really think that that small piece of information is important!? There are a million other historical facts more crucial than that one.

When American soldiers where sent to Europe, they went to fight Nazis, not the SS. Radios and television spoke of NAZIS and Hitler. They shown the Swastika, not the SS flag!
Yes, the soldiers fucked up, but there is no need to make such a big deal of it.

Do you know the Symbol used to Saddam's secret police?.... they killed and tortured american soldiers! and it's a MODERN war! No? Should I call you an idiot for it?! No I don't.

And btw, don't ever say that some symbols have universal meaning. It's false. And it's actually very arrogant when you think about it. It's assuming that your cultural baggage, your education, is so.... right/authentic/truthful/sincere that is universal and that everyone agree with you and thinks the same.

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
evilthecat said:
Beliyal said:
The Nazis adopted it and changed it a bit, so it doesn't look the same as the one from the elder futhark (or other runic scripts), but it still is the sigel rune and it's very similar, and it fitted their needs.
Like I said. I think it's quite easy to tell this:

or even this..

..from this..

I know even the latter rune predates the nazis and the argument wasn't that noone should be allowed to use it, only that it has virtually no relevance to modern society outside of very specific circles of Armanen runelore and the far right (which are generally linked anyway). There is no reason to put that rune on a flag and display it, even the Armanen-Orden (which is itself a fairly racist organization) doesn't use it as an official symbol. It has no historical connection to any particular cause or ideal except one.

When I said a meaningless symbol, I didn't mean to say meaningless. Most arbitrary symbols which became associated with horrible causes are not meaningless.
Oh, okay then, I just misunderstood what you meant. I agree here and that's why I don't think it should be used by some marines for something else, especially without any other context, but the two white S-bolts on a dark background. It's just a bit... fishy. If they decorated it in some other manner or even wrote what it represents for them, maybe it wouldn't attract so much attention. I am even prone to believe that they honestly didn't know anything about it, just thought it looked "cool". But I don't think ignorance is a good excuse. Someone must've known, from school, history, movies, whatever. If they pulled that out in Germany, they would've probably be serving jail-time.

I saw many people mentioning KISS band logo, but that obviously has a different context than the SS logo. It's the same "font", but absolutely and immediately separate in contexts. The flag used by the marines, not so much.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
I think if you want to remove the power a symbol has then use it for another purpose. I fully support that Scout Sniper group's use of that symbol.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Considering some of the other things the USMC and US army have done in the past, not that phased by the use of the flag. It's tasteless and they should have known better, but it's hardly at the top of the list of crimes American soldiers have been guilty of.