Mario's Ten Best Guinness World Records

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
All praises to Shigeru Miyamoto for giving the gift of Mario to the world. Don't worry about getting into Princess Peach's castle. She can't hold out forever. In the meantime, bask in the glory of being the greatest videogame character of all time.

Off topic: When are you going to fix my plumbing, you fat bastard?

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
CLEVERSLEAZOID said:
John Funk said:
*Earliest Nintendo game to feature competitive online play: (Mario Kart DS) The first Nintendo-published game to feature competitive online play was Mario Kart DS in 2005. While earlier online titles included Animal Crossing and Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II, none allowed players to battle each other.
Wrong, PSO DID have a battle mode. It just wasn't very good, or how the game should have played.
Phantasy Star Online was a SEGA/Sonic Team Game. Not Nintendo. And the battle wasn't all that good. Animal Crossing had a Battle mode?

CLEVERSLEAZOID

Mar 4, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
CLEVERSLEAZOID said:
John Funk said:
*Earliest Nintendo game to feature competitive online play: (Mario Kart DS) The first Nintendo-published game to feature competitive online play was Mario Kart DS in 2005. While earlier online titles included Animal Crossing and Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II, none allowed players to battle each other.
Wrong, PSO DID have a battle mode. It just wasn't very good, or how the game should have played.
Phantasy Star Online was a SEGA/Sonic Team Game. Not Nintendo. And the battle wasn't all that good. Animal Crossing had a Battle mode?
Yes, but they still mentioned it in the article, so I was pointing out it did have Battle. Which as I said, wasn't very good.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Jeronus said:
I too have been waiting in vain for that lazy idiot. I saw him once, he stamped on my neighbours pet turtle then ran away. The soup was delicious.

On topic, I do think while Mario certainly deserves alot of praise I do feel a large portion of his games are shovelware nowadays. I'm saying this pretty much on the launch of Mario Galaxy 2, which may almost redeem those responsible for the shoveling.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Most successful gaming hero?

I realise it means that he's appeared in loads of games and sold millions of copies under his name...

(Even if they do call him a Carpenter(?))

But, when I read that I automatically thought to myself.

'Successful? Wouldn't that imply that he saves the day/princess and it stays that way?'

Skeletor 0

Jul 29, 2009
pignoli said:
I'd say he was close to the least successful video game hero. Peach never stays rescued for long...
That's only because she's stupid enough to live in a castle that's within walking distance of her serial rapist's house!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Archemetis said:

I realise it means that he's appeared in loads of games and sold millions of copies under his name...

'Successful? Wouldn't that imply that he saves the day/princess and it stays that way?'
Well, he was a carpenter to begin with, in Donkey Kong.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Archemetis said:

Well, he was a carpenter to begin with, in Donkey Kong.
Ah, ok, now that makes sense, I never got to play the original Donkey Kong game, I've played versions of it, but never the original which would explain why I never heard of him as a carpenter, I guess.

Cheers for clearing that up for me.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Wahful said:
I feel sorry for the guys who made Gran Turismo, they spend sooo long making each game and do everything to near perfect detail and still got outsold by Mario Kart!
Wasn't A-Spec a demo that was sold at retail anyway?

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
Demon ID said:
Jeronus said:
I too have been waiting in vain for that lazy idiot. I saw him once, he stamped on my neighbours pet turtle then ran away. The soup was delicious.

On topic, I do think while Mario certainly deserves alot of praise I do feel a large portion of his games are shovelware nowadays. I'm saying this pretty much on the launch of Mario Galaxy 2, which may almost redeem those responsible for the shoveling.
Shovelware? Why? The only bad game he has put out were Hotel Mario and those educational titles. Mario has been pretty spot on for the most part.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Some of those titles are curiously specific. "Most prolific party games series"? Really? Well, excuse me while I award this, um, *looks around* Saints' Row 2 the title of "Best Sandbox Game Involving Gangs that Wear Purple and Ending with a Number". And Assassin's Creed is "Best Assassination Simulation Game Taking Place on a Previous Millenium Not Ending With a Number and Including a Horse". And, um, Sam & Max Season 2 Episode 3 is "Best Adventure Game Involving Talking Dogs, Zombies and European Vampires Releases and the Middle Episode of a Series". Wow, prizes for everyone!

Billion Backs said:
Eh, it's not worth it if it doesn't hold the "most players killed" Guinness record.

I wonder, if you look at deaths that could be directly attributed to a game, what would be the high score and what game would hold it? Berserk supposedly claimed one. Starcraft might have gotten more than that. WoW, mixed with some hilarious real life roleplaying and what could be generally considered insanity, might actually get the high score...

I've gotta research it =o
I'd wager giant ants in NetHack alone killed more players than all those put together.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Those are pretty impressive, but that last one sounds more like a fact or trivia than any kind of record that should be recorded.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
J03bot said:
John Funk said:
You know what, Mario? You deserve Peach's cake.
The cake is a lie!

I'm so sorry, I'm ashamed of myself for that...

Also, 207 games? That's impressive. Does that include when the same game has come out on wii and DS? (olympic game crossovers etc...)
To be fair you could have gone to say "15.4 million sold?, why thats over 9000!", at which point murder would ensue.

I was going to make a valid post with regards to Mario's day job but Susan has already corrected someone on that, so thanks since I'd forgotten his career change.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
So Sonic also holds to of these awards. I know another award Sonic should get.

Beefjerky

Sep 9, 2008
JimJamJahar said:
I swear, half of the numbers contradict each other -snip-
No they don't. It says "over 70 games" and "at least 125 games" but the total number is 207 games.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
IS it just me or do lots of those records contradict themselves? They all say he's appeared in different numbers of games...