Mark Hamill Hopes Episode VII Will "Balance" CGI

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Now all I need his him putting on a brown robe, waving his hand and saying 'This is the movie you are looking for' and I will collapse into nerdgasm catatonia.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
The CGI in Iron Man was totally fail right?

It's not the technology, it's how it's used.

It's like blaming the use of oil paints when a painting comes out liking like crap.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
deadish said:
The CGI in Iron Man was totally fail right?

It's not the technology, it's how it's used.

It's like blaming the use of oil paints when a painting comes out liking like crap.

ok... now go read the article and thread and youl see eveyrone is saying what you are

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Mr. Q said:
Well said, Mark Hamill, and thank you.

If there is anything that yanks me out of a good movie experience, its massive uses of CGI in areas where practical effects can do the job. This is why I've never gotten on board with Avatar. I understand that its using cutting edge technology to render facial animations of actual actors but the movie as a whole feels like a video game instead of a movie imo. If there was ever a need for the people behind Episode VII to take advice from someone, they should definitely listen to Luke F-in' Skywalker.
It's fantastic when even video game enthusiasts complain of movies looking like video games.

No sarcasm!

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
If JJ listens to him, then this movie then this movie just may end up being better then the prequels.

Oh what am I saying, there's no way this is going to be worse than the prequels, especially because Lucas isn't involved. At this point, the Star Wars franchise has nowhere to go but up.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
"Career"

Good one Mark.
I don't know. Have you enjoyed 20+ years worth of successful voice acting?

Plus hundreds of smaller single episode characters in various shows.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Two words: Weta Workshop. Those guys know what balance is between prosthetics, CGI, miniature, animatronics, map paintings, and more. Just take a hint from them!

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Here is hoping the big dogs listen to the last of the Jedi :)

Also just gotta add to the JJhaters Lensefare vs ep 1-3? I can lvie with good films with some lensefare over Binks, 'yonuglings' and dead emotional romances(Fringe and even star trek at least has emotional human interaction dare i say alot in Fringe - i loved that show) not to mention a thousand other sins...

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
He said what needed to be said and he was one of the guys who needed to say it. Bravo Mr. Hamill. I'm with you 100%.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Wisdom in your words I find, Mr. Hamill. Respect for you, I have.

*drinks a gentlemanly cup of tea*

Product Placement said:
*spits tea back out*

Holy SHIT, Mark played Firelord Ozai and Captain Stickybeard? HOW THE HELL DID I NOT KNOW THAT?!? Jesus Christ, I can't even tell from his voice the slightest.

Sep 14, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
"Career"

Good one Mark.

Still, he's right, practical effects are better, just look at Christopher Nolan's work- the corridor scene in Inception and Bane crashing the plane in Rises look fantastic, although obviously for a film like Star Wars CGI is going to be a bit more in need.
uhm..

have you not seen his resume?

seriously, some of the best voice acting around. i could listen to him all day in his joker voice.

OT: glad to hear this, definitely intrigued about the movies either way, hope disney handles it right!

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
uhm..

'twas a joke, I'm aware of his voice acting.

I mean, voice acting's all well and good, but the guy starred in one of the biggest movie franchises of all time. You would sort of expect a long and distinguished acting career, no?

Sep 14, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
gmaverick019 said:
uhm..

I mean, voice acting's all well and good, but the guy starred in one of the biggest movie franchises of all time. You would sort of expect a long and distinguished acting career, no?
ah okay, wasn't sure on that :D

and yes you are very right, but i figure it's a "whatever floats your boat" moment for him, and he must have preferred voice acting?

idk, personally, If I did a huge movie franchise of all time, then i was offered a permanent spot to be a power ranger/super hero/(other B grade awesomeness series/show) i'd choose it in a heartbeat over doing huge movies.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
Caffeine_Bombed said:
I second that. Films rely on CGI way too much sometimes (the rumours of an all CGI Labyrinth reboot actually made me weep). This is why I love Del Toro!
And that CGI Gremlins reboot they are considering... ugh.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
gmaverick019 said:
uhm..

For it to actually work as a joke, you need to be able to convey that you're aware of this fact. Otherwise you risk coming off as a smug ass who's ignorant of Hamill's work, past Star Wars (no offense meant).
TheRightToArmBears said:
That's actually a small theory of mine that I maintained many years ago, as a kid. Roughly called the famous Sci-fi actor curse, it basically stated that once you've landed a role in a sci-fi movie/show and that role ends up becoming very iconic, it becomes harder for you to establish yourself as an actor in a different genre.

Whenever you look at a picture of Mark Hamill, you almost instantly think about Luke Skywalker. Some directors wouldn't want someone like that to work on a movie that they're making, if he's gonna end up distracting fans from his work.
Compare this Leonard Nimoy or, as most people would know him, Spock. Do you see him in many big blockbusters after Star Trek? In fact, lots of actors from both Star Wars and Star Trek became surprisingly silent after they were done reprising their roles.

This was of course not an absolute rule. Harrison Ford, for example, managed to establish himself as a versatile actor, after proving he could play someone other then Han Solo. It also seems to be easier nowadays to jump between genres compared with 30 years ago.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
TheRightToArmBears said:
gmaverick019 said:
uhm..

There's a really good reason behind that. It's because if you look too unique and become famous for one particular role, you will not be cast for any new roles. It's VERY common amongst actors for that to happen. For that reasons some actors and actresses will refuse roles if they find that they might be typecast as that role for the rest of their career. Some casting directors will refuse to get a certain actor if he/she will only be remembered as "that guy who played luke skywalker."

But anyways, I like what mark hamill has done with his career. Voice acting just shows he has a love for theatre, not of exposure.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
My initial response upon reading that: "Dream on, dude."

I respect that attitude Mr. Hamill, I really do. But Star Wars isn't about atmosphere or story or anything that would require practical effects; it's about churning out set pieces with bombastic special effects to make money and nothing else. Or at least, that's what it has been about since Episode I.

And yes, it's up to Episode VII to prove me wrong there. If it does, I will only be too happy.