Mark Hamill Says it Was a "Missed Opportunity" Not Having Luke, Leia and Han Reunite

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Mark Hamill Says it Was a "Missed Opportunity" Not Having Luke, Leia and Han Reunite

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/49/49657.jpg
Mark Hamill wishes that Luke, Leia and Han Solo had one last chance to reunite in The Force Awakens.

The *spoilers* death of Han Solo in The Force Awakens was one of the most emotionally charged scenes of the film. But for the characters who witnessed the act, Rey, Finn and Chewbacca, only Chewy was particularly emotionally invested. Actor Mark Hamill, who portrays Luke Skywalker, believes it was a big missed opportunity to not have Leia and Luke present for Han's death.

When Hamill was first reading the script for The Force Awakens, he suggested director J.J. Abrams include a scene where Leia would either contact Luke to try to save Han or rush Han's aid by herself, which would put her in danger and as a result require the help of Luke. "I save her life and then we rush to Han and then we are in the same position that Rey and Finn and Chewie are; too late to save him," he said in an interview with Fandango [https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/mark-hamill-hints-that-this-may-be-the-end-of-luke-skywalkers-journey-752159].

He believed that having Luke and Leia witness Han's death would have helped "carry so much emotional resonance into the next film," as they were his best friend and wife, rather then two characters who had known him for a brief period of time.

Hamill goes on to say that he wasn't originally happy with what director Rian Johnson has decided for his character in the upcoming The Last Jedi. "I think you'll find some things that'll surprise you," he said. "They certainly surprised me. I said to Rian, I think I fundamentally disagree with everything you've decided for me. Now having said that, I have to accept it, get my mind around it and do my best to realize your vision. Once I got into it, a lot of my fears went away."

Source: Fandango [https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/mark-hamill-hints-that-this-may-be-the-end-of-luke-skywalkers-journey-752159]

Jaximus Decimus

Sep 10, 2013
"rather then two characters who had known him for a brief period of time."

Man, come on. Does Escapist need an actual editor? Seriously, what's the situation here? Do you submit articles to an editor or do you just post them directly to the site?

I'm not trying to single anybody out. No less than 90% of the articles from all the contributors on this site have minor to major spelling and/or grammar mistakes. Stuff that should easily be caught by an editor. Some may consider this pedantic, but it undermines the legitimacy of the site when these simple mistakes are so common.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Jaximus Decimus said:
"rather then two characters who had known him for a brief period of time."

Man, come on. Does Escapist need an actual editor? Seriously, what's the situation here? Do you submit articles to an editor or do you just post them directly to the site?

I'm not trying to single anybody out. No less than 90% of the articles from all the contributors on this site have minor to major spelling and/or grammar mistakes. Stuff that should easily be caught by an editor. Some may consider this pedantic, but it undermines the legitimacy of the site when these simple mistakes are so common.
Escapist doesnt even have people who can keep the site running smooth, let alone checking for minor grammatical errors. And worse things than that to have anyways.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Why do I have a horrible feeling that they are going to make Luke into the bad guy of this new series of movies.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
votemarvel said:
Why do I have a horrible feeling that they are going to make Luke into the bad guy of this new series of movies.
Because that final line makes you think, "Okay, what's the ONE thing they could do to Luke's character that would make even Mark Hamill doubt it? Oh crap..."
At least, that's the thought that went through my head.

A disillusioned Luke, one that just wants to give up and let the universe fall, I can get behind. It's working for Samurai Jack, after all. Even an angry Luke I can tolerate. But if they're planning on making him go full Dark Side--you know, that thing that he overcame in the original trilogy--I'm going to be very upset.

DanielG

Jul 16, 2012
Queen Michael said:
Not sure what an "opperunity" is...
Bad transcribing from the original video. The current "oppertunity" is from not bothering to spellcheck. (opportunity)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
votemarvel said:
Because that final line makes you think, "Okay, what's the ONE thing they could do to Luke's character that would make even Mark Hamill doubt it? Oh crap..."

A disillusioned Luke, one that just wants to give up and let the universe fall, I can get behind. It's working for Samurai Jack, after all. Even an angry Luke I can tolerate. But if they're planning on making him go full Dark Side--you know, that thing that he overcame in the original trilogy--I'm going to be very upset.
I don't think they're going to go so far as to make Luke an official Dark Sider...but rather - as you said - have him be disillusioned from the teachings of the Jedi. My guess is that he's come to realize the truth behind the (rather obvious) matter of balancing The Force: if you want to bring balance to anything, you can't subscribe to an extremist philosophy. The Jedi teachings are an extremist philosophy, as are the Sith teachings. As such, my feeling is that he'll be training Rey as a "Gray Jedi" or whatever you want to call it, someone who - as the opening to Final Fantasy IV states - can hoist The Darkness And The Light. That is true balance. If Luke has had such an epiphany regarding bring balance to The Force, then that seems to be the only plausible path available.

Regarding Luke in The Force Awakens: I agree...it would have been much more emotionally impacting to have Leia and/or Luke present during Han's death. The thing is that both Luke and Leia have completely valid reasons for being absent during that scene. Luke has gone into complete exile...the search for Luke being one of the driving forces of the plot. Leia is the commander of the Rebellion at this point, so it's understandable that she wouldn't be on the front lines of such an obscenely dangerous mission. Still though...it really would have been much more portent of a moment if Luke or Leia was there to witness Han's death. That said, I think it was pretty effective in the way they showed how Leia "felt" Han's death...a throw-back to the fact that she too is Force Adept.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Sure there was some emotional impact to be had but...That means all 3 would have been present at the deathstar 3.0 destruction. Which apart from making no sense due to their respective stories means the new kids may as well have not existed, as original 3 have blowing up deathstars down to art.

Maybe if he'd been fatally wounded and they'd gotten some scene in the finale at his death bed, I guess? But then what dramatic nostalgia filled high note do they go out on, if it isn't R2 sparking to life and revealing Luke?

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Wow, The escapist was never some grand bastion of journalism, but at least the news articles used to have spellchecking.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
008Zulu said:
J.J would rather have everyone stare at his mystery box, than produce a good movie.
Exactly. The problem with the mystery box is, of course, it only works so long as you never open it.

Synigma

Dec 24, 2014
RJ 17 said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
votemarvel said:

I don't think they're going to go so far as to make Luke an official Dark Sider...but rather - as you said - have him be disillusioned from the teachings of the Jedi. My guess is that he's come to realize the truth behind the (rather obvious) matter of balancing The Force: if you want to bring balance to anything, you can't subscribe to an extremist philosophy. The Jedi teachings are an extremist philosophy, as are the Sith teachings. As such, my feeling is that he'll be training Rey as a "Gray Jedi" or whatever you want to call it, someone who - as the opening to Final Fantasy IV states - can hoist The Darkness And The Light. That is true balance. If Luke has had such an epiphany regarding bring balance to The Force, then that seems to be the only plausible path available.

Regarding Luke in The Force Awakens: I agree...it would have been much more emotionally impacting to have Leia and/or Luke present during Han's death. The thing is that both Luke and Leia have completely valid reasons for being absent during that scene. Luke has gone into complete exile...the search for Luke being one of the driving forces of the plot. Leia is the commander of the Rebellion at this point, so it's understandable that she wouldn't be on the front lines of such an obscenely dangerous mission. Still though...it really would have been much more portent of a moment if Luke or Leia was there to witness Han's death. That said, I think it was pretty effective in the way they showed how Leia "felt" Han's death...a throw-back to the fact that she too is Force Adept.
I'm torn on what to think about this. He will definitely start disillusioned and from everything we've seen he seems to stay disillusioned and that is likely what Hamill had a problem with. That being said it would be huge case of blue balls to have the whole first movie be about finding him and then him turn out to be a wet blanket who doesn't wanna.

Meh, I just want to know if my original prediction is still right: Poe is the princess of this trilogy so how is he going to end up being related to Rey?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I know Hamill hasn't been the scriptwriter or director for any of the movies. But his discomfort with the script's direction for his character is definitely raising some uncomfortable warning bells in my head.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Christ so is this article just going to stay permanently unedited and horribly amateur looking? My eye twitches every time I scroll through Escapist and see "Oppertunity" there under 'Most Popular' hahaha.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Revolutionary said:
Wow, The escapist was never some grand bastion of journalism, but at least the news articles used to have spellchecking.
Welcome to 2017 Escapist I guess. My faith with the place is pretty much faded unless they get some more income and get people ontop of stuff again. My guess is things need to be published quick and can't be double checked because they don't have someone to do it anymore. Sad it hasn't been changed since though... :/

OT: Hamill is within his rights to have opinions on creative choices involving his character. I get that they wanted us to bond with the new cast more than the old, who are on their way out.[footnote]Deaths aside, I have doubts that Carrie Fisher (RIP :c) was going to get as much importance to the plot of these movies as the new characters.[/footnote] On the more cynical side of things, Daisy Ridley and company are cheaper than the original actors in their salaries.

Disney ain't gonna keep paying Harrison for big screentime[footnote]He wanted the character to die anyway so it worked out well for Disney in that regard.[/footnote] and they probably are pushing for the end of Hamill's screentime as well. I don't profess to know one damn thing about the contract details but I could guess that Disney isn't afraid to tell a Force ghost Han Solo he's getting paid less for what they consider a cameo. Or something to that effect. All I know for sure is that its a war for money and they'll drop every cent they can from those contracts if they see how.