Marketing Effect 3

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Marketing Effect 3

The portrayal of Mass Effect 3 in EA's marketing doesn't match the game.

Read Full Article

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
There's a big difference between near and not too distant. I would expect distant future to be at least 1000 years from now, if not longer. Perfectly acceptable use of the phrase.

Apr 28, 2008
Pretty much all the trailers are weak. All they seem to focus on are the combat and Shepard being badass or whatever. It's like a crappier version of Halo's marketing.

Mortakk

Just this guy, you know?
Apr 8, 2009
"In the not too distant future" always makes me sing the MST3K theme in my head.

I find it odd that they advertise the DLC guns like that, though. Not that I'm a marketing expert, but I wonder if they were attempting to get people to see that they added more selection in ME3 than was in ME2, which honestly was one of my biggest problems with the game... that and the fact that Garrus never fixed that giant hole in his armor (and that you couldn't upgrade anyone else's armor except cosmetically). If so, they chose a weird way to go about it.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
Irridium said:
Pretty much all the trailers are weak. All they seem to focus on are the combat and Shepard being badass or whatever. It's like a crappier version of Halo's marketing.
I actually found Halo's trailers much more effective and emotional than the entire ME3 marketing. The entire marketing campaign have been awful from the start.

Also, I'm turning "We eat or we starve!" into my new daily catchphrase.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Irridium said:
The difference being that the dialogue from the trailer matches the Halo franchise far better.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
I understand why it bothers you, but personally I found it to be at least chuckle-worthy.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I think the problem here is pretty obvious. Developers made a game you find to be very deep.

Marketing wants to sell lots of shit. They probably don't know anything about the game. They just want to appeal to the populace, and when CoD is breaking all sales records then of course they want to make it sound like "super shooter awesomesauce" in the hopes that those shooter junkies will pick it up and make them bajillions of dollars.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Shamus Young said:
Mass Effect 3 takes place around 2186-ish. So, over a century and a half from now. I don't think even an Asari would call that "near future".

Depends on your point of view, looking at your photo you are about the same age as me. So the odds are that you have known someone who knew someone who was alive 150 years ago. In my case, it was my grandfather who knew his grandfather. 150 years isn't that far away, its just about twice for the average life expectancy for a someone living in a developed county. Personally, I can have reasonable expectations of being alive in 2050 and the odds are someone reading this post could make it to 2100.

paronomasiac

Nov 15, 2010
At the risk of shilling for another website: http://tinyurl.com/7tjy2hh For those who don't want to (or can't) follow that link, it enumerates the primary problem with Mass Effect 3 DLC: to get all possible DLC for the game requires an investment of approximately $860. As well, nearly all of that is for peripherals or inconsequential fumetti that happens to come with a new and different gun for Commander Shepard to use.

I understand marketing tie-ins and pre-order bonuses. I don't necessarily agree with that manner of "incentive," but I do understand. But this price tag is completely ludicrous. I cannot fathom how it was deemed a good idea to release so much of the game piecemeal over so many unrelated products.

Feb 13, 2008
Shamus Young said:
It's the one thing that makes Mass Effect stand out from a lot of other games about a dude in body armor, lugging an assault rifle through a showcase of chest-high walls.
And there's the problem. Standing out makes it unmarketable in a market designed for yearly releases. The market relies on familiarity now because its main focus is on those who decry critical reasoning.

It's a sequel - so you already know you like it. It's like a re-imagining. Nice and safe.

Why do you think they held back on Femshep for so long? And then made her into Samas Aran. People might think it's a new series; and change scares them. They need a name they can trust, that won't let them down, that will be released on the Friday closest to Easter every year, where the main hero comes back from the dead and shephards humanity before...

Hold on...

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
paronomasiac said:
to get all possible DLC for the game requires an investment of approximately $860.
The vast majority of the extra content seems to be "Collector Assault Rifle unlock DLC/Powerup" over and over again. I'm sceptical that it will be possible to upgrade the Collector Assault Rifle 7 times using DLC codes.

And then there's 3 retailer-specific guns. They will almost certainly be the equivalent of the Incisor sniper rifle (preorder bonus) from Mass Effect 2, relatively useless and replaced fairly quickly.

As for the rest, it appears to be largely multiplayer-only and, based on what I've seen of multiplayer, likely either cosmetic or possible to be obtained (or superseded by other gear) by playing the game.

I still don't like retailer-exclusive DLC (or any preorder DLC) but it's not as bad as it looks at first glance.

paronomasiac

Nov 15, 2010
Oh, I don't mean to imply that anything beyond the $10 'From Dust' is integral to the complete game experience, or even useful to players. My complaint is that it exists at all. I can't think of another game that, even considering multiple pre-order bonuses and collectors editions, came anywhere near that incomprehensible price tag.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Why was so much rage aimed at Portal 2, and so little aimed at Mass Effect 3?
Wait, what?

You, uh.... you don't spend much time on forums, do you?

There's been a lot of rage.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Congrats, it took you 2 pages to explain that a Gamestop commercial is terrible. Anyone could have said that. And this next thing I say without sarcasm since you seem to be trying to avoid spoilers. People ARE pissed at ME3. Very very pissed. Portal 2 was nothing.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Sheesh, it's just a 30 second commercial that's meant to be funny. It's just a punchline, the actual dialogue doesn't matter at all. The vast majority of people watching will have a reaction to the reveal of Garrus being the voice over, and not pay attention at all to what he actually says.

That's not bad marketing.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Shamus Young said:
Wiat, there isn't tones of rage being leveled at ME3? When did it all drop away, is it noew hidden somewhere?

On a more serious note, this isn't overly new for EA. Remember the marketing for DA:O? Remember how most of it was a decent representation of the game? No you don't because the marketing had very little in common with the game. They used the tagline from a song "This is the new shit" to market a return to older styled RPG's.

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
Well regarding the trailers, I just think it's a way to expand the playerbase. Let's say you've got a fan of the first 2 games, did all the side quests, talked to all the characters and actually thought and weighted the outcome of every answer in conversations. THAT dude (or dudette) is the person that would jizz in it's pants with a "well written" trailer. The thing is, that person has already been marketed to, throughout two entire games. He/she will buy ME3, the trailer makes no difference to him/her.

Now, you have to assume any person that doesn't live under a rock and wasn't born yesterday has heard of the mass effect series and decided he/she didn't care about it. Maybe that person likes more action packed, testosterone oozing, one liner spouting explosion fests. And that's OK. But it is also an untapped audience.

If you have a finite amount of money to make the most amount of costumers, do you market to the people that will already buy the game or the others?

This is still a business, and this ain't no assassins creed. Maybe people would buy an ME4 but I'd wager the cost/benefit to even try to milk this cow dry isn't worth it. They probably have to make the most bang for their buck this time.

PD:
Also that last trailer isn't so bad, i mean, the few seconds that we see Destiny Ascension coming to help earth leaves you thinking just how somebody convinced the asari to risk their flagship to help the poor earthlings. And that's more thinking that most seconds have any right to produce.

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
If you aren't finding any rage about EA's marketing on ME3, you have clearly been looking in the wrong places.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Personally, Shamus, I think you might be looking too far into the 'severity' of this trailer. It's EA merely selling a product at its base; if BioWare did make this trailer, then I guess there's a problem, but it's really a commercial first and an advertisement on the decency of the game later.

I can see where people may have some problems, but the problem is that I saw that commercial several times before you brought it up, and I didn't have any problem with it beforehand. No offense, but this DOES feel like a bit of an overreaction.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Despite the obvious past ineptness of EA's marketing department, I'm not really sure I see what the issue is here. Just because something is not being marketed to you does not make the marketing itself bad, it just means you're not the target. In fact, based on the fact that you're saying you already know you're buying the game despite the thrust of the advertising says as much. The advertising is targetting those who aren't already hooked on the deeper aspects of the series (characters, story, extremely solid RPG/Shooter fusion gameplay, etc.). They don't need to sell you the game because they already have.

As for the Garus ad, I found it funny. To me, it actually came across as a parody and felt like it was making fun of both the gun and the idea of preorder bonus weapons.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
LOL I got a good laugh out of that commercial, it looked like they had some kids in highschool shoot and direct the thing. As for Garrus pitching the dlc rifle, i got a good BWAHAHAHAHA from that, so I say good job on the commercial.

As for the game itself well... lets just wait until it comes out

The Random One

May 29, 2008
They do that because they think people like games that are dumb are loud so they make games that aren't either look like both so that they sell. Since ME3 is the third game, people who know it's not dumb or loud will buy it anyway since they're already invested in the previous two games so they're focused on the (possibly imaginary) demographic of drooling CoD fans, which they imagine to be very large and have a great love of manly men who shoot manly guns. And it's the job of the marketing department to sell it to people who might not buy it otherwise, as opposed to people who will buy it anyway. And it's not like this is an isolated thing that can only happen on a EA-published game [http://www.cracked.com/article_15876_5-ways-hollywood-tricks-you-into-seeing-bad-movies.html].

ME3 is doing not if not trying to please everyone. They have an ACTION mode for people who find choosing from a dialogue wheel to be too taxing on their minds and a story mode that I was sorry to learn is just super easy difficulty, as opposed to a mode in which action sequences are replaced by a block of text that reads AND THEN SHEPARD WENT DOWN AND SHOT THE ALIEANS. I'm not making fun of the concept, that mode is what I actually want because I still don't know who let those boring shooty bits in my game about interstellar diplomacy/boning.

And yeah, I for one saw plenty of rage over the day one DLC and similar stuff. I'm especially amused by the rage following the Protean character, since people assume it went like this:

Marketing exec: FOOLISH WRITER, WHAT IS THE MOST INTERESTING PART ABOUT YOUR PUNY GAME?
Writer: P-please don't hurt me, sir! We have a Protean character, he's very cool!
Marketing exec: YES, MY EVIL FOCUS TESTING TELLS ME SUCH A CHARACTER IS PROFITABLE. I COMMAND YOU TO REMOVE HIM FROM THE GAME SO WE MAY SELL HIM ON LAUNCH DAY, SEPARATELY.
Writer: Please, sir, don't! That character is essential to the story!
Marketing exec: THAT WILL MEAN PEOPLE WILL NEED TO BUY THAT CONTENT TO PLAY THE GAME PROPERLY, WHICH IN TURN MEANS WE WILL ESSENTIALLY BE ABLE TO CHARGE MORE! SUCH A MOVE IS CERTAIN TO MAKE OUR DARK MASTERS MORE MONEY! NOW BEGONE, BEFORE I DEVOUR YOUR SOUL!

...When it probably went like this:

Marketing exec: We want a day one DLC. Is there something interesting you can use in it?
Writer: Uh, there's a Protean. They are supposed to be dead for millenia. But it's just a character that shows up briefly.
Marketing exec: Dead for millenia, eh? I think the fans will go crazy for it. Give the DLC team all you have on him and tell them to make him a full fledged party member.
Writer: OK. See you at home then, dear.
Marketing exec: Bye, love you.

(SURPRISE TWIST!)

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
The commercials are bad because the marketing people at EA think their audience is the kind of crowd that craves trailers like that. Sin to Win and Your Mom Will Hate Dead Space 2 have already shown, quite clearly, that whoever Bioware is actually making games for, EA marketing thinks they're making them for the kids who give XBL a bad name.

Not really surprising. Still disheartening, but not surprising.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This became a gears clone last iteration. Why are people still surprised they're focusing on chest-high walls?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Aren't the gamestop made by someone else?
Like that retarded "zomg get power armor nowz!!!" gamestop ad that has haunted video streaming sites.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I see where you're coming from here. I thought the Garrus add was pretty funny myself, but taken in that light I understand why people wouldn't like it. I do agree with the whole, "Oh look! We have shiny guns!" thing going around. So far, the only DLC weapon that I found to be useful was the Locust you get with Kasumi in Mass Effect 2. And she wasn't part of any preorder thing. Most of these preorder bonus weapons are just jokes to me. You can't release a weapon on day one that completely breaks the game, so none of these new weapons will be amazing.
I feel like a jerk for pointing this out, but it's never been stated that the Reapers can't be beaten. Or at least Sheperd has never said it, nor has anyone on her team. All the way back in Mass Effect, Vigil says that the Reapers win because they cut down the leaders in a surprise attack. They know that if the races of the galaxy unite, they will lose. It's why Sovereign didn't attack straight away, because he would blow the Reapers' cover.

Vivid Kazumi

Jan 7, 2012
Sniper Team 4 said:
I see where you're coming from here. I thought the Garrus add was pretty funny myself, but taken in that light I understand why people wouldn't like it. I do agree with the whole, "Oh look! We have shiny guns!" thing going around. So far, the only DLC weapon that I found to be useful was the Locust you get with Kasumi in Mass Effect 2. And she wasn't part of any preorder thing. Most of these preorder bonus weapons are just jokes to me. You can't release a weapon on day one that completely breaks the game, so none of these new weapons will be amazing.
I feel like a jerk for pointing this out, but it's never been stated that the Reapers can't be beaten. Or at least Sheperd has never said it, nor has anyone on her team. All the way back in Mass Effect, Vigil says that the Reapers win because they cut down the leaders in a surprise attack. They know that if the races of the galaxy unite, they will lose. It's why Sovereign didn't attack straight away, because he would blow the Reapers' cover.
well some dlc weapons where usefull...like the black hole gun

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
Zhukov said:
Shamus Young said:
Wait, what?

You, uh.... you don't spend much time on forums, do you?

There's been a lot of rage.
And he doesn't really seem to understand the gaming cultural phenomenon that is hats. If people are stupid enough to spend actual money on trivial aesthetic embellishments, then one must question the scruples of the purveyor of said embellishments.

In that sense, Valve is the mean kid on the playground that makes the slow kid run his head into a tree. And not a Fluttershy tree, a tree with a beehive on it.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I don't really see the problem. We are not the target audience of this ad. We already know about the series, have played the previous games, and are likely to buy the next one. EA had no reason to make a TV ad for this game to get my attention than Bethesda did for Skyrim. The ad doesn't need to be to play out in a manner consistent with the plot; it needs to sell Mass Effect 3 to people who have not played Mass Effect before. And just to be sure that the game appeals to people other than us, there is a new option to skip all those burdensome dialogue choices that you have to make, so you can just get to the action and enjoy a cut scene or two every now and then.

Again, there's nothing wrong with the ad. It's just not meant for you.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Vivid Kazumi said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
well some dlc weapons where usefull...like the black hole gun
And the Mattock. Oh, sweet Jesus, the Mattock.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
ravenshrike said:
There's a big difference between near and not too distant. I would expect distant future to be at least 1000 years from now, if not longer. Perfectly acceptable use of the phrase.
Yeah, I think this is a very subjective point too. Personally I think 100 years is the distant future, but I can completely see how you might not think that. The thing that bothered me about the trailer was the use of that over-used phrase in the first place. Then again, it might have been self-parody. Then again (again), I didn't like the whole overall tone of the trailer anyway. Still seems like an odd thing to rag on though.

beniki

May 28, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Marketing Effect 3

Read Full Article
Have to agree with you. The over-marketing of this game has pretty much killed my enthusiasm for it. Oh, I'll play it, but it's not particularly high on my 'to do' list any more.

Coupled with the fact that if I buy the game, I know I'm not going to have the same stuff as the people who pre-ordered it, bought extra DLC, or any of the cross platform games. Intellectually I know I'm buying what should be considered the whole game... it's just that there's so much extra crap it feels like I'm getting the cheap version. Not exactly what I wanted to feel like loading up the end of this trilogy.

You're right... gong to wait for the EA 'hype' machine to shut up first, then let my actual enthusiasm for the game build again. Assuming they don't keep piling on the DLC and extras, in which case I might feel like it's too much to bother with.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Shamus Young said:
Marketing Effect 3

Read Full Article
I understand what you mean when you reference Portal 2 Shamus, but it seems some people just don't get it.

With Portal 2, people whined about the purely optional, co op only hat thing. The people who did bomb it, are just irrational haters of the idea, but are too stupid to understand that it's purely fucking optional and has no effect on the main game.

With Mass Effect, it should be receiving far more ridicule for this DLC shit because it very well could affect how the game plays. When the the DLC extras start affecting the game as a whole, people should be upset over it and not upset over some stupid fucking optional hats that don't change anything. Now since none of us have played it yet, we can't be certain that any of this DLC will change anything. If it does, we should all draw the line there. Nobody should have their game experience altered from the intended product because we didn't go out and buy some stupid action figure to get a gun in the game.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Really, Shamus? Of all the trailers you could pick to critique, you picked that one? It's just a bit of harmless piss-taking, nothing really 'abomidable'. Stuff like "one man" and "galaxy at risk" is just hyperbole. Also, what was he supposed to say? One man or woman? One person? One future space captain? The Sheperd in the trailer was male, ipso-facto "one man".

Also, I think people are being a bit selectively perspective with a lot of the Mass Effect 3 marketing. The marketing for Mass Effect 2 (and to much, MUCH lesser extent, Mass Effect 1) was just as action-focused as the marketing for Mass Effect 3, and that didn't stop it from being an excellent game. Remember the trailer where Grunt exploded a thresher maw with his shotgun? Or the one where Thane took down six heavily armed Eclipse mercs in hand-to-hand combat? Did it hurt the game in any way at all? No. So what's your keffufle?

People like to throw around the term 'Gears of War/CoD/Halo clone' like it's some sort of insult, but all that really means is that they've based the gameplay on a series which is generally considered to be good at what it does. It's not written by Cliffy B, it's written by the folks at Bioware, and surely that's what matters. But if the gameplay is at least decent (which, going by the demo, it is) then surely what's there to be upset about?

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
If it were just the marketing that was dumbed down, and not the game itself, that wouldn't be so bad. I'm not talking about the shift from mediocre RPG gameplay to mediocre shooter gameplay, I mean the lack of world building and plot depth in ME 2 compared to ME 1. It's clear that ME 3 will continue the trend.

My prediction is that EA will use the reaper invasion as an excuse to trim down some of those pesky alien species that don't connect with focus groups as well as the near-future human marines fighting for earth do. Humanoid aliens as main characters is a risky move for a summer blockbuster.

Daemonate

Jun 7, 2010
Your tolly right Shamus!
We need to start a review bomb campain immediatly this sort of thing is unasseptabl!!

No, really, I felt alone up till now in that the *game* was taking this direction. Less RPG elements, less and less consistent or original story, more and more average shooting. I gave up with the ME series half way through 2 and I don't think I'll be back - this marketing just confirms what I already feared.

Chevalier noir

Nov 21, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
This became a gears clone last iteration. Why are people still surprised they're focusing on chest-high walls?
That is being a little mean, the series definitely lost me at the second game though.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
(And I just have to ask again: Why did people aim so much pure rage at Portal 2? Remember that? The game had cosmetic, multiplayer-only DLC, and people got so mad they review-bombed it. Why was so much rage aimed at Portal 2, and so little aimed at Mass Effect 3? NOTE: I am not asking anyone to review-bomb anything. It's childish and pointless. I'm asking why, not demanding ME3 be similarly punished. Please, please no.)
Because people are stupid, basically. Hell, look at some of the replies other people left in response to this paragraph. It clearly says "Why was so much rage aimed at Portal 2, and so little aimed at Mass Effect 3?", or in other words, that lots of rage was aimed at Portal 2, and Mass Effect 3, while getting some rage, isn't getting nearly as much rage as Portal 2. You point out specific examples of how Portal 2 got review bombed and Mass Effect 3 hasn't. So what do people do? Ignore everything you just said about review bombing, pretend you said Mass Effect 3 got no rage whatsoever, and say "duuuur, u must not use teh forumz, Mass Effect 3 gets teh ragez to lol".

People. Are. Stupid.

Beyond that, no I don't know why people were so pissed at do nothing hats in Portal 2, but don't mind a bajillion different versions of Mass Effect 3 content that's actually useful in game doesn't get people nearly as riled up. And let's not forget all the other nice things Valve did for Portal 2, like free co-op maps and releasing the game early (which got people riled up and raging further because they tricked themselves into thinking it would be out days early with no basis in fact, and then blamed Valve when it was only about 12 hours early). Stupid people do stupid things, and I'd go nuts trying to understand why. So I just write them off as stupid and move on.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Oh wow, here I was reading the article and after I thought it was just pointless nitpicking, but after getting halfway through the second page I started to agree with Shamus. You know what, maybe this commercial deserves the hate. I mean, wow, what the hell.

Then I saw the commercial.

Holy shit this is beyond pointless nitpicking. This is incredibly petty. This is exactly like that one nerd who everyone hates, criticizing pointless details of something that's meant to be funny because for him everything should be serious business.

Really? That commercial was a parody. Literally, it was a joke. It wasn't supposed to be FACTUALLY CORRECT. It wasn't supposed to be serious business. It wasn't supposed to give you an accurate portrayal of the game or the drama that goes on in it, or the feelings of any of the characters. It was just a silly ad to promote a silly gun while making Garrus sound like Serious Trailer Voice Man for shits and giggles. Hell, even the serious trailer voice was part of the joke.

And here you are deconstructing it and taking it way more seriously than it should be. Right now all I can think about is this guy [http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/Douchey_McNitpick].

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Should have gone the artsy drama route with a oh no reapers we're doomed type dealie.
No wait I guess it's better that they don't try to pretend the story is the focus any more, and just outright say it's an action game. Better than lying.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
Marketing people are almost universally soulless monsters with little to no idea of the product they're trying to promote or their customers'tastes. That's why soooo many adverts are annoying, some to the point that you actively avoid the product in question or deliberately choose their competitors.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
The trailers of mass effect 3... are kinda boring...

They all try to grab the idea of 1 man that is going to save the universes... what about the other soldiers that sacrifice theyre lives in-battle? Aren't they worth anything in this process?

If they told me there would be a man that would lead humanity into salvation i would be better... but no... 1 man to save everything and everyone...

Action movie cliché, and then everyone is depending on him, giant space battles.... all so very cliché and now boring...

I expect a lot from the game i do (even if it's on EA's hands... and i really hate EA), but the trailers... they are really crappy...

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
I think Shamus is overreacting, but I totally understand where he is coming from.

This video is just plain awful. It's trying to so hard to be funny and ironic it's just painful to watch. And it's selling preorder DLC. That just makes it worse.

The fact that all Gamestop ads are are terrible or that its trying to be funny arre no excuse. It's indefensible. But Shamus could have picked any of the ME3 ads and trailers to rant about, they range from bad to terrible.

Saying that the ads are aimed at the shooter crowd doesn't excuse them either. Why should we have lower expectation for a marketing campaign because of that? Are you really saying shooter fans wouldn't understand anything better?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Chevalier noir said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
That is being a little mean, the series definitely lost me at the second game though.
It's slightly hyperbolic, but not particularly mean.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Unfortunately the game exists to make a corporation money - its important to keep this perceptive in mind always . . . that way you can take everything they do with an "oh, yeah, that's why".

Also, I'm pretty sure developers and the other people that work very hard to make a good game get pissed off just the same, when marketing does stuff like this, but, its important to "get the game out there" and that's what they're trying to do.

It's entirely possible to ignore the trailers and just enjoy the game when it arrives.

Also... as to complaining about their referencing to Shepard being only male -- think about how difficult it would be to make a GOOD trailer that blurts out rather breaking the 4th wall a bit saying "Or if you're a girl :3 teehee!" okay, I was kidding but you get the point? You can't just add a backslash after man and say "save the universe as a man/woman!" the point is, they know that most (not all, but most) of their target audience are male. It's just simple business practice at work.

In any case . . . blah? :(

vrbtny

Sep 16, 2009
Irridium said:
I know what you mean. Mass Effect 3 has had dozens of trailers and hype video released for it, all about how it's the end of the world, the reapers are here, blah blah blah

All of it combined has had less effect than that one Cortana line "This is how the world ends."

It kind cuts out all that pretentious hero speech bullshit and states plainly. "IT'S THE END OF THE WHOLE FUCKING UNIVERSE!!!!"

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
poiumty said:
Oh wow, here I was reading the article and after I thought it was just pointless nitpicking, but after getting halfway through the second page I started to agree with Shamus. You know what, maybe this commercial deserves the hate. I mean, wow, what the hell.

Then I saw the commercial.

Holy shit this is beyond pointless nitpicking. This is incredibly petty. This is exactly like that one nerd who everyone hates, criticizing pointless details of something that's meant to be funny because for him everything should be serious business.

Really? That commercial was a parody. Literally, it was a joke. It wasn't supposed to be FACTUALLY CORRECT. It wasn't supposed to be serious business. It wasn't supposed to give you an accurate portrayal of the game or the drama that goes on in it, or the feelings of any of the characters. It was just a silly ad to promote a silly gun while making Garrus sound like Serious Trailer Voice Man for shits and giggles. Hell, even the serious trailer voice was part of the joke.

And here you are deconstructing it and taking it way more seriously than it should be. Right now all I can think about is this guy [http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/Douchey_McNitpick].
Your missing the context. Mass effect isnt comedy hour fun time, it touts it self as "mature" (lol) and "serious". This ad flys in the face of that, not to mention its just a badly written commercial.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
In my opinion, this is just REALLY REALLY bad nitpicking and being really over the top harsh against Bioware/EA.

Its a trailer to MARKET the game, go on have a crack at Modern Warfare 3's marketing about how stupid it is.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
I agree, this marketing shit is BS. Reminds me of that over the top Dead Space 2 ad campaign about the game that wasn't for your mother or whatever crap that was. Only this time, I actually care about ME... so it pisses me off more. I think they want to hit more than just their basic customers this time... which basically means they just want more money. But then that's what EA does.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I agree completely look at what marketing did to Lara Croft...

Nothing sexual at all about the game, shes a competent Indiana Jones like figure, smart athletic, does everything herself. She's a decent role model for girls.

All the marketing goes on about is her boobs.

Good game.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
Being the best of the bad doesnt make it great, only successful. I wish I didnt have so many resons to increment my disgust with each sequel.
xXxJessicaxXx said:
I agree completely look at what marketing did to Lara Croft...

Nothing sexual at all about the game, shes a competent Indiana Jones like figure, smart athletic, does everything herself. She's a decent role model for girls.

All the marketing goes on about is her boobs.

Good game.
And the best that happened to LC is being combined with Indiana Jones to form Daring Do(but not officially).

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
This is the main reason I've cooled down on the Mass Effect franchise over the years. It seems as if they're pushing it as less of a sci-fi space opera RPG, and more as Call of Duty in space. Which is probably going to appeal more to some people, but it appeals a lot less to me. Shamus seems to assume that it's just the way they're marketing it, which is sad in it's own right, but I'm concerned for what's actually going to be in the game.

Sure, Mass Effect was always sort of militaristic, but at its core it felt like something more. Mass Effect 2 definitely felt like it had less substance in favor of more big words and militaristic glory, I hope to god Mass Effect 3 doesn't push it further :-/

I don't know, I'm still gonna buy it, so maybe I should just shut my mouth and withhold judgment until I've actually played the game >,<

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
Whelp.... honestly, without trying to be a troll, I don't see what the hoopla is over these games. I should start off by mentioning that I've only played the demos for ME2 and ME3. I might still be inclined to play ME2 now that it should be really cheap, and I don't have an Xbox to play the original on.

Anyway, nothing about the demos has made me say "Oh shit, I gotta get this game." In fact, as I was playing the ME3 demo last night, I was at turns laughing and at others overly focussed on the ridiculously sour expression on my female Shepherd's mouth. She had this permanent downturned frogmouth frown thing going on. Speaking of female Shepherd, I didn't count, but I felt like aside from the buzz cut look and the chin bob, all of her hairstyles were a variation on the ponytail. Boring.

I was laughing, because watching Shepherd and Anderson run during the demo was absolutely ridiculous. I don't know if Bioware used mocap or just winged it with the animations, but watching Anderson sprint with his back ramrod straight, arms and legs pumping like some weird robot... I was giggling uncontrollably.

I think the ME franchise probably has a lot to offer, and a lot to offer me, a big sci fi fan, but unfortunately I think that the hype machine surrounding the franchise really pushes me away. When we get guys writing article like this: http://io9.com/5886178/why-mass-effect-is-the-most-important-science-fiction-universe-of-our-generation, I cringe a little bit.

I'll probably pick up ME2 one of these days, after I'm done Skyrim, Yakuza 4, finally finish Demon's Souls (finished Dark, but Demon's seems way harder) and a couple other games. Hopefully by then I can grab ME2 and see what all the fuss is actually about. And maybe by then the marketing machine will have died down and I can enjoy it without being inundated with ads to buy DLC and pre-order on PSN and join up with Origin.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Since when have EA done good advertising?

And isn't that their entire marketing campaign? "Let's piss people off and get word-of-mouth advertisement with Internet Fury, and if we're really lucky, Prime Time TV slots in the news."

As depressing as this makes me, it is effective because of threads like these, so I applaud the irony of people getting their panties in a bunch and helping EA.

Well done, guys. Bravo

Invariel

The Wizard That Did It
Apr 10, 2009
The real problem with this marketing campaign is that it is furthering what is easily the worst "innovation" in video games ever.

The idea of multiple, different, pieces of DLC offered to different types of people for (pre-)ordering at different retailers. It is a slap in the face to 100% completionists, the pieces of DLC aren't just different skins for the same basic thing, and if you don't have a particular retailer in your area, or you live in entirely the wrong country, you can easily miss out on the thing you actually do want.

Day one DLC is already a terrible thing (when that content is included on the printed disc and you are getting/buying an unlock code), and splitting up your potential day one content amongst different sources of revenue is only making things worse.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
I wish I could say I'm surprised to see Shamus screw up again with something Mass Effect related, but I'm not. When he criticized [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/8868-What-s-Wrong-with-Mass-Effect-2"]a lot of supposed plot holes in ME2[/a], I felt the need to [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.283688.11167963"]correct his misunderstandings[/a], and now it seems I have to do it again.

He has two main points "They make Shepard sounds like someone who isn't Shepard but rather some lunk-head", and "the DLC sucks, look at how bad this commercial is".

His first point is reminiscent of his earlier problems criticizing ME2: He doesn't immediately get it so there is no way it actually could make sense. He seems to be forgetting the part about the Reapers being scary as hell. No single force in the Universe stands a chance against them. People may attempt to flee such a situation, and it must be made clear that running away isn't an option. The Protheans tried that and the best they could do was allow a small handful to survive, a number so small that they didn't have enough genetic diversity to continue breeding.

Thus, Shepard must convince everyone that the choice is between fighting and having a chance of survival, or dying. This is actually a rather old philosophy going back to Japanese Bushido: "If a warrior goes into battle with the knowledge that he will die?then he will not. If he is unsure?he will surely die?. This is something Shepard echoed even more closely in the latest trailer [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116120-Mass-Effect-3-Launch-Trailer-Redefines-Epic"]here[/a], when he says "Each of you needs to be willing to die. Anything less, and you're already dead." There are times when such a line would be over the top, but with what they are facing it is entirely appropriate.

The other point is his diatribe against the EA commercial. Now it does seem to be a pretty stupid commercial, but his beef here is with EA, and this seems to be a trailer for Gamestop to encourage people to get it there rather than Amazon. It's also unfair to use this clip as something that is supposed to represent EA marketing with ME3 overall. Most of the video clips I've seen, and I've seen plenty, have been quite excellent. Shamus even admits to this in the beginning. What he has done is take the worst example and tried to paint the entire campaign with the same brush.

Now the commercial is about pre-order DLC, so he also attacks that. The fact that EA is offering the pre-order DLC is not the same as the marketing for said DLC. You can appreciate the marketing for something you hate, like my appreciation of the Bud Lite commercial where the [a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmotlurx0EM"]guy jumps out of the plane to get his beer[/a], or you can appreciate the product and hate the marketing. Thus, I'll leave whether EA should be doing the DLC for another time.

Shamus has this problem with the marketing specifically:

Shamus Young said:
"We've got this awful dissonance where the "Take Back Earth" trailer tries to sell us on this universe of loss and hopeless odds, and then we've got other commercials telling customers the game is all about "LOL Gunz!!!"
Yes, it's almost as if EA is trying to market to multiple groups and its primary concern is not what you alone might want. The truth is, the game has both of these things. These things will appeal to two different groups. People will play for the story, people will play for the guns, and others will appreciate both. This isn't "dissonance", its a nuanced approach to marketing that widens the market as much as possible. People who only want a good gun game might actually start appreciating deep and engaging story, but may never had tried it out because they assumed they only liked games with lots of guns and explosions.

Shamus, the marketing isn't saying it's big, dumb, and loud. They are saying "Hey, if you like story, holy *#!% is there an awesome story. Oh, you want intense military action? Holy $#!*ing %*#! is there some awesome action in this game". Please, start looking beyond your immediate first impressions.

May 17, 2010
Isn't everyone in the gaming world already aware of Mass effect, I've never played the games but I know who the Reapers are, what a Qunarian is, that Miranda has an ass, the people have a disturbing fetish for an incredibly ill space jew/gypsy and her sweat, etc.

So isn't the point of the advert to appeal to people outside that demographic and get them to play (and more importantly buy) the game?

fnartilter

Apr 13, 2010
Hahaha, that little convo snippet between Shepard and Joker pegged Joker perfectly!

The first few hype trailers for ME3 were great! Starting with the one of the sniper holding up in Big Ben, London with the internal monologue bit. Then there was the other one that was sort of like a newscast. Aaand, there was a third, I think?

Then the real marketing trailers came out, and I watched one. It was a marketing trailer, not sure how else you can put it. People just need to realize that these extra gun DLCs and stuff have no affect on the actual game.

Just like in ME2 there was a slew of little item/cosmetic DLCs as well. They didn't add or detract anything from the game. The only difference was they weren't advertised so In-Yo-Face.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Shamus Young said:
Very true. I am particularly annoyed with the lack of Fem Shep after all the hype about her.

However, I do have issue with something you said: NOTHING can have as many errors as Mass Effect: Deception. Your average self-insert ME Fanfiction is more canon than Dietz's abysmal novel.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
Shamus Young said:
Marketing Effect 3

Read Full Article
I understand what you mean when you reference Portal 2 Shamus, but it seems some people just don't get it.

With Portal 2, people whined about the purely optional, co op only hat thing. The people who did bomb it, are just irrational haters of the idea, but are too stupid to understand that it's purely fucking optional and has no effect on the main game.

With Mass Effect, it should be receiving far more ridicule for this DLC shit because it very well could affect how the game plays. When the the DLC extras start affecting the game as a whole, people should be upset over it and not upset over some stupid fucking optional hats that don't change anything. Now since none of us have played it yet, we can't be certain that any of this DLC will change anything. If it does, we should all draw the line there. Nobody should have their game experience altered from the intended product because we didn't go out and buy some stupid action figure to get a gun in the game.
I really doubt having one extra gun is going to change the game as much as you are making it sound....
This just sounds like self entitlement at its worst. If you are really so upset that you have to rant on a forum (or article) about not having a gun or some other minor things because you didn't buy a toy or a special edition, then you probably weren't very interested in the game to begin with.

Forktongue

May 19, 2009
When I first saw the "Not too distant future.." add Shamus talks about, I thought it was a lot more terrible at first when it seemed like a serious ad. Once it was revealed as a joke I just rolled my eyes. The thing is, I marked this up not as another terrible EA ad but another terrible GameStop ad.

So was this ad developed my EA's marketing department or just approved by it? It struck me more as an ad put together by a marketing department for a retailer who most likely had little to no backstory on the game and were just going on the fact that they were promoting a bonus gun for per-ordering with them.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Nope, I completely ignore all ads for videogames now, especially EA ads. Their marketing team is the shit. They never represent what they game will be like. For the truth, you have to go to reviews or demos.

Or Valve ads, that seems to be the only decent videogame ad I've ever seen in recent times.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Yup, Mass Effect 3 sucks and so does EA. I wish it'd just be released and go away so I never have to hear about it again. I already decided not to buy the game due to all the BS. I'd probably orgasm if the game bombed horribly but obviously it won't.

gambler778

Nov 18, 2009
The commercial with Garrus seems really nitpicky here. It was meant to be funny. And in the commercial, the Shepard with Garrus is clearly male, so of course Garrus is going to refer to him as a "man." The entire article just seems really forced to me.

FallenPrism

Jan 7, 2009
How much of this is Bioware/EA? I know the developers have to design the DLC in the first place, but how much of this was pitched/is being handled by an outside marketing company? Or at least outside marketing consultation?

I simply mean to suggest that it may not entirely be the creators themselves who aren't showing care in the marketing like they are in the game and world.

Speaking as someone who actually has not played more than a couple minutes out of the whole series thus far, this campaign seems very effective (on me at least) at grabbing the attention of people not already engaged in the ongoing narrative. Current fans were sold on 3 as soon as 2 ended (I imagine.) This marketing is trying to pick up new fans.

Sorry, but some misrepresentation of the game and what it stands for sounds like standard marketing faire to me.

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
I'm confused here. I don't remember any hate towards Portal 2, while ME3 is receiving all of the hate. Also, when ME2 came out, there was a commercial where Shepard teleported the bad guys into a toilet. The trend of silly marketing gimmicks isn't exactly new.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
I agree that there is a dissonance between what Mass Effect is supposed to represent at its core and what is being represented through a lot of the marketing. I think, in a lot of ways, Mass Effect is nigh impossible to market to established fans because the things make the experience memorable don't make for great bullet-points on a marketing statement.

I have never been more excited for a game to be released before, however most of the marketing has been lackluster for a fan who is on board for the intimacy that is offered in a character driven narrative.

Quotes such as '[w]e fight or we die...' are taken out of context and used as catch phrases which inherently shift attention away from the merits of the franchise and give the impression of a throw-away, Friday night action film. Playing the demo, I actually found that piece of dialogue appropriate in its given context, as our hero (avatar) is trying to rouse Earth's leaders to act while the Reapers are descending around them.

Despite a lot of silly marketing, I really enjoyed the launch trailer and a few other choice trailers that weren't trying to force 'stratified' DLC upon me as a consumer. Being able to see how weapons are customized, the voice cast, the story elements and also have a taste of the spectacle is what wets my appetite for Mass Effect 3.

I do wish that marketing would stick their DLC policies up their fucking ass and blow it out the window. I think consumers need consistency and cohesiveness and the selling of Mass Effect 3 leaves a lot to be desired.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Wakikifudge said:
I really doubt having one extra gun is going to change the game as much as you are making it sound....
This just sounds like self entitlement at its worst. If you are really so upset that you have to rant on a forum (or article) about not having a gun or some other minor things because you didn't buy a toy or a special edition, then you probably weren't very interested in the game to begin with.
You missed the point then jumped straight to entitlement, congratulations sir. I do not care for any of this DLC nor do I care about Valves hats.

The point was that Portal 2 received so much rage over something that did not affect the game. All it affected is how a player character looks during co op. All of the DLC EA is attaching to all this extra stuff directly affects the main game in the form of special weapons, armor etc. Hat doesn't change anything while guns could change something.

So then why is it that people will whine and rage over aesthetic hats but not over in game weapons that can only be received if you buy all their extra stuff? Simple answer? People are massive idiots and hypocrites. Bioware gets a pass while Valve gets screamed at over giving people the ability to optionally wear a hat. Those people should be whining about ME3.

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
Personally, I think that all this advertising is just an effort to hush up the nearly continuous leaks, most of which are being received in a heavily negative light.

Basically EA trying to milk it as fast as possible before word of mouth really can get around.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
I have a theory, all this marketing is aimed at the COD demographic right?

Thats genius. Because everyone else is going to buy it anyway right? Why not focus on a new market?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
Wakikifudge said:
You missed the point then jumped straight to entitlement, congratulations sir. I do not care for any of this DLC nor do I care about Valves hats.

The point was that Portal 2 received so much rage over something that did not affect the game. All it affected is how a player character looks during co op. All of the DLC EA is attaching to all this extra stuff directly affects the main game in the form of special weapons, armor etc. Hat doesn't change anything while guns could change something.

So then why is it that people will whine and rage over aesthetic hats but not over in game weapons that can only be received if you buy all their extra stuff? Simple answer? People are massive idiots and hypocrites. Bioware gets a pass while Valve gets screamed at over giving people the ability to optionally wear a hat. Those people should be whining about ME3.
My apologies I misunderstood your post. I thought YOU were whining about the guns affecting gameplay. I see your point now. I didn't actually know that people were outraged about the Portal 2 hats. Isn't that the same as Valve's micro-transactions in TF2?

However, is this point he's making actually true? I could be remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure a lot of people have raged about the in-game weapons. IMO Anyone who rages about either of these things is a self-entitled jerk (which is what I mistakenly thought you were).

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Wakikifudge said:
My apologies I misunderstood your post. I thought YOU were whining about the guns affecting gameplay. I see your point now. I didn't actually know that people were outraged about the Portal 2 hats. Isn't that the same as Valve's micro-transactions in TF2?
Yes, kinda. What few items there were, and by few I mean like 5 things, are also available simply by playing Portal 2 single player. Why anyone would buy the items when they just get them from playing is beyond me.

However, is this point he's making actually true? I could be remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure a lot of people have raged about the in-game weapons. IMO Anyone who rages about either of these things is a self-entitled jerk (which is what I mistakenly thought you were).
Of course people have raged about it, but the point is that it hasn't received equal or greater ridicule. If Portal 2 could receive all that crap for the hats, then why isn't Mass Effect getting a hurricane katrina level of shit storm?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
Wakikifudge said:
Yes, kinda. What few items there were, and by few I mean like 5 things, are also available simply by playing Portal 2 single player. Why anyone would buy the items when they just get them from playing is beyond me.

Of course people have raged about it, but the point is that it hasn't received equal or greater ridicule. If Portal 2 could receive all that crap for the hats, then why isn't Mass Effect getting a hurricane katrina level of shit storm?
Maybe it's because people feel more betrayed by Valve because in so many gamer's eyes, they are a spectacular developer who can do no wrong so when this minor offence (if you could even call it that) occurred, people felt betrayed.
Bioware on the other hand is owned by EA and I guess people just don't feel as surprised or betrayed when EA does something like this.

This is the only "reasonable" explanation I can think of.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Wakikifudge said:
The only reasonable explanation is people are hypocritical morons. Hats do nothing and affect nothing. There's absolutely no reason for anyone to get so worked up over something so trivial. Then again, this is the internet. Valve does offer special cosmetic items for TF2 when you pre purchase a particular game, but it doesn't change the fact that they do absolutely nothing.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
Wakikifudge said:
The only reasonable explanation is people are hypocritical morons. Hats do nothing and affect nothing. There's absolutely no reason for anyone to get so worked up over something so trivial. Then again, this is the internet. Valve does offer special cosmetic items for TF2 when you pre purchase a particular game, but it doesn't change the fact that they do absolutely nothing.
Ya, you're right. People are just dumb.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Darth_Dude said:

Thats genius. Because everyone else is going to buy it anyway right? Why not focus on a new market?
Haha what makes you think the actual game wont appeal to cod gamers more than you? All of the 10+ hours of advertising suggests that this game will be Moderner Warfare

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
SurfinTaxt said:
Darth_Dude said:

Haha what makes you think the actual game wont appeal to cod gamers more than you? All of the 10+ hours of advertising suggests that this game will be Moderner Warfare
Don't worry, the core-gameplay mechanics will be the same, the story and the choices will be the same.

There are just emphasizing the actiony features to target a new demographic.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Darth_Dude said:
SurfinTaxt said:
Darth_Dude said:

Don't worry, the core-gameplay mechanics will be the same, the story and the choices will be the same.

There are just emphasizing the actiony features to target a new demographic.
Well lets just say Im not worried about the mechanics, the demo proved that theyre identical to ME2.

The very fact that this ... thing
is in the game however makes me terrified for what else they did to the game

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
Darth_Dude said:

This marketing is largely responsible for why I won't be buying the game, despite having loved ME1 and pre-ordered ME2. Targeting the wrong demographic can cost you existing customers.

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
My point isn't that Mass Effect 3 will be bad. My point is that marketing is treating it like it's big, dumb, and loud. It's just sad when the fans of the game have more respect for the material than the people who brought us the game.
Shamus, Shamus, bro, buddy, pall.

Didn't you get the memo? Mass Effect stopped being "food for thought" a long time ago. Mass Effect IS "big, dumb and loud".

Its not a space opera RPG anymore, its a shooter. You are carefully led by the hand from cinematic speech to cinematic speech and romance option with "whack-a-mole" combat encounters as filler in between.

These ads are exactly targeted at the people they want, the hyperactive GOW, HALO, COD no-scope submarine bunnyhoper. They do not want -you-, or -me-.

We are not significant, 14 bazillion shooter fans are, and for them "LOL GUNZ!" is exactly what matters.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I think the thing about Portal 2 was that most people assumed Valve was above such ridiculous nonsense, no matter how frivolous or pointless. That they had more respect for their product and their customers than to make a selling point out of the ability to put silly hats on your robots. Discovering that they didn't kind of rocked their world. Everyone "knows" (yes those are real sarcasm quotes, not just "durr I don't know how to make italics" quotes) that EA are the sort of commercialist pigs who would saw their own grandmothers' arms off and sell them back to them as "DLC," so nobody bats an eye when they pull stuff like this.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
People expect EA to be money grubbing dicks, Valve are supposed to be nice guys.

If a reputed nice guy does a dick move it is more off putting than a known jerk doing the same thing.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
People expect EA to be money grubbing dicks, Valve are supposed to be nice guys.

If a reputed nice guy does a dick move it is more off putting than a known jerk doing the same thing.
Steve the Pocket said:
I think the thing about Portal 2 was that most people assumed Valve was above such ridiculous nonsense, no matter how frivolous or pointless. That they had more respect for their product and their customers than to make a selling point out of the ability to put silly hats on your robots. Discovering that they didn't kind of rocked their world. Everyone "knows" (yes those are real sarcasm quotes, not just "durr I don't know how to make italics" quotes) that EA are the sort of commercialist pigs who would saw their own grandmothers' arms off and sell them back to them as "DLC," so nobody bats an eye when they pull stuff like this.
I think you guys both hit the nail on the head.

It's like the teachers in school who don't care when the scaly wag doesn't hand in his homework, but throw a wobbly when the A+ student misses one due to complications.

It's an unfair double standard, but I think it's just that visceral, honest gut reaction that people get.
I think that's why we all flip our shit over Bioware games. The once great RPG King has gone senile in his old age and burning all of his dearest friends that got him to where he is.

It's both sad and infuriating. Losing something that was once so great, mixed in with a more then unhealthy dose of betrayal. The recipe for a perfect shitstorm.

I wonder when the COD kiddies grow up, will they and their generation have this shame problem? Will the 14 year old racist Live players be complaining about the casualisation of their FPS games some years down the line?
Will we look on in our silver years, and give a bitter chuckle, before going back to our business (or playing Planescape again for the 631st time...)?

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
It's almost as if they're trying to market the game to audiences other than the die-hard ME fans

And who are these COD/BF/HALO kids that are supposed to be ruining are beloved franchises?

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Hmm, read the article twice and I noticed a rather distinct lack of a rather important part; How the commercials SHOULD be done, since apparently they've all been done wrong. (although that might just hinge entirely on the author's perception of HIS Shepard.)

Well? How exactly should the game be marketed? I remember ME1 commercials that seemed to do next to nothing to describe the game, I remember ME2 commercials that seemed to do little to describe the game...and yet, people still buy the games...and the ME3 commercials seem to be in line with the previous advertisements and marketing drives. They fit together, although the Gamestop adds did make me roll my eyes at them.

So just what exactly should the optimal ME3 ad campaign include? What exactly would suit Mass Effect? Something conveying the scope of what's going on? I think they did that. Something conveying the dire straits that we're facing? I think they did that. Something that tells you about just what you're going to be doing in the game? I think they did that too...

So what's more suitable for presenting Mass Effect 3 to the audience?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
FFHAuthor said:
Hmm, read the article twice and I noticed a rather distinct lack of a rather important part; How the commercials SHOULD be done, since apparently they've all been done wrong. (although that might just hinge entirely on the author's perception of HIS Shepard.)

Well? How exactly should the game be marketed? I remember ME1 commercials that seemed to do next to nothing to describe the game, I remember ME2 commercials that seemed to do little to describe the game...and yet, people still buy the games...and the ME3 commercials seem to be in line with the previous advertisements and marketing drives. They fit together, although the Gamestop adds did make me roll my eyes at them.

So just what exactly should the optimal ME3 ad campaign include? What exactly would suit Mass Effect? Something conveying the scope of what's going on? I think they did that. Something conveying the dire straits that we're facing? I think they did that. Something that tells you about just what you're going to be doing in the game? I think they did that too...

So what's more suitable for presenting Mass Effect 3 to the audience?
This is a great question, and one I've wondered about myself (particularly in reference to those who complain about the trailers not showing off any of the loot 'n' stats "RPG" aspects of the game). For those who don't like the bombastic action movie alike trailers we've generally seen so far, how would you make a compelling trailer for what you believe ME to be?

Mikeyfell

Aug 24, 2010
Shamus Young said:
This is a game filled with sci-fi ideas. It's a space opera. Fantastic alien worlds. Strange creatures. Mysterious technology. Ancient secrets. Political intrigue. That's food for your brain, right there. It's the one thing that makes Mass Effect stand out from a lot of other games about a dude in body armor, lugging an assault rifle through a showcase of chest-high walls. So why is the marketing focusing on the assault rifles and chest-high walls?
Did you really just ask that?
About a commercial played on television?
The same television watched by people
The same people who make games like Modern Warfare break sales records?

That's why!

Marketing is a soulless creature and if EA is the king of anything it's not having a soul.
I think the general tone of the Mass Effect marketing team was "Mass Effect has a huge and loyal fanbase, we don't need to appeal to them any more."

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
It is completely and utterly pointless to try and criticize anything to do with Bioware in general or Mass Effect in particular on the Escapist forums. There is so much fanboy circle-jerking going on here, that if it were a real place there'd be enough spunk to fill a swimming pool.

There was never a franchise in videogame history to receive so much undeserved adulation as this one. This wouldn't be so bad, except that the fanboys cream themselves over the franchise for the very reason its so goddamned awful: its story.

After this, they will slowly collapse from a combination of the weight of their own ineptitude, and EA's propensity for closing studios.

Fucking finally. The sooner they wither and die, the sooner the human waste fanboys who worship them will stop their verbal diarrhea.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
Country
United States
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Shamus Young said:
It's the one thing that makes Mass Effect stand out from a lot of other games about a dude in body armor, lugging an assault rifle through a showcase of chest-high walls.
And there's the problem. Standing out makes it unmarketable in a market designed for yearly releases. The market relies on familiarity now because its main focus is on those who decry critical reasoning.

It's a sequel - so you already know you like it. It's like a re-imagining. Nice and safe.

Why do you think they held back on Femshep for so long? And then made her into Samas Aran. People might think it's a new series; and change scares them. They need a name they can trust, that won't let them down, that will be released on the Friday closest to Easter every year, where the main hero comes back from the dead and shephards humanity before...

Hold on...
Careful TROAE. If you keep playing connect the dots you may end up making a picture you don't like.

Anyway, I have me a question. Why do they want to try to market to new people with the 3rd installment of a game franchise?

I mean it's not like anyone far enough in the gaming community/industry to be at all interested in ME3 doesn't already know about it. Besides, even if you knew nothing about Mass Effect would you or anyone want to start with it's 3rd (and possibility final, but maybe not) game. Also, it's not like either of the previous games didn't do well, and I'm pretty sure anyone who would buy ME3 has already long ago decided to get it because they already played the first games. Plus, wouldn't you be a bit mad if you bought Mass Effect 3 and found out that not only did it have a good story worth seeing in completion, but it actually uses as saved game system that continues from game to game? Though you would probably still get the other games anyone if you did enjoy it enough, but that would still be a pain in the ass.

I just can't see how any of this was much more than a waste of money. Instead of marketing trailers they should focus more on demos at least after they already have done well enough will the first game to make a sequel. Think about it. Anyone who can access a game demo is already a possible customer because they own whatever system needed to play it, and has already shown that they are thinking about getting the game.

But whatever. Not like this will change. ME3 will do well, but not because of its marketing. However, all they will have to do to continue without changing is say, "Well hey, we marketed the game like we always do and it still did well."

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
EA has done some very bad things when it comes to marketing, but your ranting is mostly misplaced this time. All the rage at something meant to be humorous. Garrus was amusing and the voice over was fun. As for the "LOL Hey Gunz" style marketing, I don't see what the problem is there either. Apparently they developed a whole game mode to appeal to that kind of play.

I can understand some of your issues with all of the DLC, that complaint at least has substance. But it's not irrational at the sales level either. If they can move more products out the door by providing additional content hooks to different outlets then it means that launch day shortages are less likely and there will be no artificial reduction in sales. So yeah, to get Mass Effect we have to put up with some fragmentation in the form of perks and add-ons.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Cause the entire series is going more macho-shoooty shooty chest high walls feck yeah get some big gunsy.

That's how they sell copies. If we lived in an ideal world, I'd be rich and handsome and Mass Effect 3 would continue in the vain of story telling as a focus.

Too bad I guess. Still getting it though, they can't possibly change it TOO drastically. Gotta finish my Sheperd's story one way or the other.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
The biggest flaw in that commercial that I saw was that Garrus didn't give some lame excuse about needing to do "calibrations" when Sheppard asked him to help out.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
This is a great question, and one I've wondered about myself (particularly in reference to those who complain about the trailers not showing off any of the loot 'n' stats "RPG" aspects of the game). For those who don't like the bombastic action movie alike trailers we've generally seen so far, how would you make a compelling trailer for what you believe ME to be?
Of course, the BEST marketing tool to encourage consistent ME players to get the game would perhaps be groundbreaking and origional and not do much to encourage new buyers (it would probably discourage them to be honest...). But make it a custom commercial. Have the 'commercial' be a download on XBox Marketplace or the Playstation store, or online, have it load your save data and look at the game you played and have it do a recap/narration of your Shepard and your games, who lived, who died, what your decisions were, what those decisions might mean in your Mass Effect 3 game.

It would be an awesome commercial for Mass Effect, it would embody everything that matters in the game to you, it would give you a real connection and incentive to get Mass Effect 3, but the problem is that it wouldn't bring in new players to the game, it would cement in players who would have pretty much bought the game anyway. That would be the 'best' commercial to show you what Mass Effect is and what Mass Effect 3 will be, but it's the worst commercial to actually make people who haven't played a Mass Effect game want to play it. Most newbies would hear about the commercial and try to see it, but find out that they can't because they didn't play Mass Effect 1&2. Honestly, I'm replaying ME2 for tomorrow, and there are moments where things feel slightly like a chore, I can easily imagine a new player thinking;

"I need to play two other games before I can even watch the commercial? Fuck that, they just want me to spend 180 bucks for all three."

So the ultimate Mass Effect 3 commercial that embodies the most integral aspect of the game fails entirely in the core role of advertising, to encourage and entice people who aren't familiar with the game to become interested in it.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
FFHAuthor said:
StriderShinryu said:
Of course, the BEST marketing tool to encourage consistent ME players to get the game would perhaps be groundbreaking and origional and not do much to encourage new buyers (it would probably discourage them to be honest...). But make it a custom commercial.

"I need to play two other games before I can even watch the commercial? Fuck that, they just want me to spend 180 bucks for all three."

So the ultimate Mass Effect 3 commercial that embodies the most integral aspect of the game fails entirely in the core role of advertising, to encourage and entice people who aren't familiar with the game to become interested in it.
That's exactly it. It's not too hard to come up with some way to appeal to the already converted, from kindling an emotional response as in your example to a cut and dried menu slidehow for those who "need more RP!" The problem is, as you point out, those approaches wouldn't actually work as marketing tools. They would, in many sesnes, simply be selling the product to those who are already heavily on the "buy it" side even if they aren't totally sold yet. The purpose of advertising, however, is to expand your market beyond it's already existing niche.

Personally, I think the best way for ME3 to be marketed is to do exactly what they are doing. Show the characters and story as it exists in ME3, but include the previous two games in the package for no extra charge. Make it clear via the ads and packaging that when you buy ME3 you're not only getting ME3 but also the entire epic action adventure RPG saga. Heck, you can already get both ME1 and 2 for maybe $10 a piece as is and I doubt many new copies are still being sold anwyay so it's not like there would be a significant loss compared to the number of new fans that would be brought in.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
The ads for this game have been particularly terrible. Having played and enjoyed the first two, I know better, but if I were going on the ads alone, I would be assuming this is just another game like Resistance or whatnot. In other words, I would have no desire to buy the game. As it is, they are doing their damn best to convince me not to buy it.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
"This game is horribly marketed, terribly 'Balkanized' and being dumbed down to make a buck....

...I'm buying it anyway."

That was about the time I lost interest in what you're saying. If you're not willing to bite the proverbial bullet and not buy a game who's marketing/design/business practices offend you, then you're part of the problem, not the solution.

I don't have a problem with people who like a game and want to buy it. I don't have a problem with people who don't like a game/company and refuse to buy it/from them.

But I am sick to death of people who ***** about games and companies on the internet and still keep giving them money. It is just pointless and no one in the companies care. In fact, they probably like it because it gives them more press, and as the saying goes, there is no such thing as bad press.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
This is mostly an EA thing if you ask me. EA's marketing department almost always has a couple of ideas that are just stupid and out of touch with what they're trying to sell.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Coudn't agree more. I have stayed as far away from ME3 advertising as possible not because I think there's going to be any spoilers per say but because of how nauseautingly bad it all is for many of the reasons you just stated.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I have to agree with you its pretty sad indeed that the people who made the game barely care about it's lore. But it doesn't entirely shock me. EA has been destroying everything it touches for years. As for the marketting people, all they do these days is lie. Blatently, without fear of punishment. So there is never much point in listening to them.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Shamus Young said:
Shamus' skewering of Mass Effect 3's commercials continues ...
Is that what we call complaining about things nowadays- skewering? I saw gripes, I saw complaints, I saw a few laughably inaccurate statements about Bioware supposedly not taking the heat Valve took, and I saw a few bits of moaning about how many years constitutes the near future.

... but skewering? No, sir, you did not provide me with anything close to that.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
"Sure, if I pre-order at Gamestop I get gun A and if I pre-order through Origin directly I get gun B, but so what? I haven't played the game yet. I don't know which one is better or more fun to use."

And that's the way Marketing likes you. Ignorant of the realities and confused by the choices, so when they run their spreadsheets, they can put your choice in any category that makes them look good.