Mars One Releases Astronaut Open Call Qualifications

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
It's pretty cool that there's all this planning to put colonists on Mars, but I don't see what it's going to do for us. Maybe in a few hundred years we'll have a plan B if Earth blows up, but other than that, this sounds like sending people to a new place just because we can.

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
Daaaah Whoosh said:
It's pretty cool that there's all this planning to put colonists on Mars, but I don't see what it's going to do for us. Maybe in a few hundred years we'll have a plan B if Earth blows up, but other than that, this sounds like sending people to a new place just because we can.
Basically, yes. We didn't go to the moon to mine its resources, and we didn't climb Everest to set up a research outpost. Sometimes, we just need to do things in order to advance as a species, even if they aren't particularly useful.

Space travel needs a good kick in the pants right now, and this is the sort of thing that will get people interested and hopefully renew people's love of space.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Rabid Toilet said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Basically, yes. We didn't go to the moon to mine its resources, and we didn't climb Everest to set up a research outpost. Sometimes, we just need to do things in order to advance as a species, even if they aren't particularly useful.

Space travel needs a good kick in the pants right now, and this is the sort of thing that will get people interested and hopefully renew people's love of space.
That actually reminds me, why don't we just put colonists on the moon first? It seems like a similar concept, and it's probably got a better chance for a return trip.

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
Daaaah Whoosh said:
That actually reminds me, why don't we just put colonists on the moon first? It seems like a similar concept, and it's probably got a better chance for a return trip.
Probably because we've already been to the moon, and there's not much benefit to living there. I imagine the reason we're going to colonize Mars instead of just visiting it is because we don't actually have a way to get people back after we send them.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Sooo let me get straight

3 years for getting into pharmacology (with additional education in genetics)
+2 years to major it
+3 years to doctorate
Maintaining myself at peak condition at all time
Working for additional year on my own project (I have something special on my mind)
And being 34 at the time of launch

All this to participate in glorified reality show?
That most probably will be cancelled after first season.
Thank you, but I think I'll contact NASA first

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
I'm just afraid that someone might snap and hurt or kill somebody else. It's not like people can call the cops on them....

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
While this would be a very interesting experience, I don't want it to be the only experience of my life. And I hate reality shows.

magicmonkeybars

Gullible Dolt
Nov 20, 2007
I don't know if it's all people think it's cracked up to be, spending the rest of your life with shitty internet connection doing backbreaking work with the same people constantly having to fear malfunction of the life support sysem.
I'd be surprised if they all make it over alive to begin with, let alone the years after on Mars.
Having said that I'd love to go on such a grand adventure, even if it'll be really boring most of the time.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
huh, looks like moviebob was right.

whatever, i can deal with it being a reality show. and this actually makes me (a little) proud to be Dutch. We'll be the people who got humans on friggin' MARS! How cool is that? What have YOU been doing lately, Germany?

hutchy27

Jan 7, 2011
Sounds interesting, I was tempted to go until they said the whole thing about most likely never returning to Earth. Especially with only seeing new people every 2 years, plus I'm a bit claustrophobic, which wouldn't help much.

Rinshan Kaihou

Dec 3, 2009
As what others said, I was tempted until I saw the "one way trip" thing. I don't even care about the reality TV show thing. I would love to go, but not for the rest of my life. Maybe for 3/4 years or something. Also, no internet connection. That would be a real bummer. 40 minutes round trip to open a webpage.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
So 2023 for the landing of the first mission. Then 2024 for the second to come investigate what happened to the first.

LordMithril

Jul 10, 2010
So wait.. The folks that were in the test rig in syberia for over a year got all depressed and stuff.
And that was just a test and they knew they were still on earth and they would get out.

So keep the depressed part but remove the rest.
Why do I have the feeling we are gonna be watching 4 people getting more depressed and probably killing themselfs or each other before the second wave is even launched?

Also think of the impact of living 2 years with the same people in a very closed environment and then suddenly add 4 new people.
Fun stuff to watch for psychology students.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Sounds good, except for the "reality show" part
Remember when NASA scrubbed a launch on the Simpsons due to low ratings? I guess it's a real fear now.

2clueless said:
Little concerned about the big brother aspect and how it might affect the whole procedure, but still..
At least they can't vote you off the planet.

...Can they?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
LordMithril said:
So wait.. The folks that were in the test rig in syberia for over a year got all depressed and stuff.
And that was just a test and they knew they were still on earth and they would get out.

So keep the depressed part but remove the rest.
Why do I have the feeling we are gonna be watching 4 people getting more depressed and probably killing themselfs or each other before the second wave is even launched?

Also think of the impact of living 2 years with the same people in a very closed environment and then suddenly add 4 new people.
Fun stuff to watch for psychology students.
Turns out Mars One is an elaborate troll. They get off and the surface of Mars will look like the trollface image.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
This looks mental... on so many levels... I um...

Ok as above people going crazy alone on a planet for rest of there lives? Law enforcement? Procreation? Healthcare? Rescue? What do they do there? (Mining? Farming? Reserching?) this is deep and complex and mental all at once and corporate run... no one or group of nations involved. So... perfectly fine then nothing evil ever involved corperations...

Will keep an eye on this but i'll pass on joining up just yet kinda of like going for walks without a space suit on and red ain't my favorite colour.

chris11246

Jul 29, 2009
JonB said:
snip

Mars One is a non-profit organization that intends to fund their mars colony by making their entire operation a reality show. Every aspect of the mission, from launch to landing and living on mars, will be a televised and interactive broadcast. It has not been announced when the selection campaign will begin, but Mars One has said "We are working hard to launch our selection campaign as soon as possible, to open the doors to everyone who aspires to do something tremendous in their lifetime."

I see what they're doing. They're finally trying to shuttle people who want to be on reality shows off planet.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
if nasa had done this first and gary bucey was one of the participants this could very well fund their budget
personally i'd like to hear what the salary is like. back breaking labor. high degree of education. peak physical and mental conditions. high risk of death and likely no return home that should be a multi million dollar pay day and i worry about anyone "sane" enough to take up the offer