Marvel Character Lawsuit Dismissed

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Marvel Character Lawsuit Dismissed

Who owns Spider-Man? Well, according to a New York judge, Marvel does, as he dismissed a lawsuit against Marvel and Stan Lee.

A $750 million lawsuit over the ownership of a number of Marvel's most famous characters, including Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four and the X-Men, has been thrown out by a Manhattan federal judge. The case dates back to 1998, when Stan Lee transferred ownership of the characters to Marvel, with the shareholders of Stan Lee Media Inc claiming that Lee damaged them by doing so, although this particular lawsuit was only filed in 2007.

But US District Judge Paul Crotty dismissed the lawsuit after noting that the plaintiffs had not bought their stock in the company until after the transfer took place, and said that they had waited much too long to bring the suit, writing in his 14-page opinion "It is now time to call a halt ... [they] cannot wait a decade to enforce their rights."

Source: Reuters [http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKN0517244020100405]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Good.

Thank the Nine that there is still SOME credibility to our legal system. SOME.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, its nice to see the tight judgement was handed down...now, we can all get on with our lives and now have to worry about who stole what...for now

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
Waiiiiit...Stan Lee and Marvel had a lawsuit? Really? Wow, I never would've expected that

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Wow...that's just smart on the judges part and i hope that the plaintiffs are proud of themselves for committing this act of stupidity.

Nov 28, 2007
SnootyEnglishman said:
Wow...that's just smart on the judges part and i hope that the plaintiffs are proud of themselves for committing this act of stupidity.
Can I just say that, if your avatar is who I think it is (Sid Haig in The Devil's Rejects) you have a great taste in horror films?