Marvel Gifts Infinity Stone to Guardians of the Galaxy Director

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Marvel Gifts Infinity Stone to Guardians of the Galaxy Director

For his 44th birthday, Marvel gave Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn, his own Infinity Stone.

While Thanos is willing to slaughter thousands of lives for an Infinity Stone, it seems all he had to do to get one was to direct a hit movie -- at least this worked for Guardians of the Galaxy director proving to be a mega success for Marvel [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/james+gunn?from_search=1], I'd say that's a pretty fair assumption.

Just in case you're wondering, the Infinity Stone shown off in Guardians isn't the first one to be shown in a Marvel movie. In 2011's Captain America: The First Avenger, the Tesseract was shown off, which is said to house the "space" stone. In Thor: The Dark World, The Aether was revealed which is said to be based on the "reality" stone. Finally, in Guardians of the Galaxy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/guardians+of+the+galaxy?from_search=1], hidden within the orb that everyone's fighting for, is the "power" stone. So, that leaves us with three more stones uncovered (time, soul, mind). It's been discussed by fans that Loki's staff houses the "mind" stone given its power to control people's minds, but Marvel has yet to confirm this to date. Regardless if we're down to two stones or three,you can bet that they'll appear in some Marvel movie at some point since the stones play a big role in Marvel's Cinematic Universe.

For more Marvel news, actor Josh Brolin Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige had to say about it. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136736-Thanos-Marvel-Movie-Appearance-Has-One-More-Josh-Brolin-Knows-About]

Which Marvel movies do you see the other stones making an appearance? And will Marvel be able to pull off the Infinity Gauntlet story without killing every superhero involved?

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://instagram.com/jamesgunn]

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
That's... a pretty cool birthday present. (But I thought the power stone was purple? That one looks red...)

I'm wondering how, exactly, a movie series primarily based on Earth is going to introduce the other three stones. It would feel ridiculously contrived if adventures in one corner of a VERY large universe ended up introducing most of the stones. Also, I doubt Loki's staff contains the mind stone - it implies Thanos was willing to give away an infinity stone and, well, I don't think he would...

I guess we'll probably find out in some movie down the line that Thanos already has a few of them.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
The_Darkness said:
That's... a pretty cool birthday present. (But I thought the power stone was purple? That one looks red...)

I'm wondering how, exactly, a movie series primarily based on Earth is going to introduce the other three stones. It would feel ridiculously contrived if adventures in one corner of a VERY large universe ended up introducing most of the stones. Also, I doubt Loki's staff contains the mind stone - it implies Thanos was willing to give away an infinity stone and, well, I don't think he would...

I guess we'll probably find out in some movie down the line that Thanos already has a few of them.
Thanos better, because out of ten movies, so far he's acquired... zero.

Though the vast majority of the stones weren't found on Earth. The only one that was was the tesseract.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I'm guessing that most of the stones will be handwaved in as being already in Thanos' control - honestly wouldn't surprise me

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Trishbot said:
The_Darkness said:

Though the vast majority of the stones weren't found on Earth. The only one that was was the tesseract.
Even that it's implied Odin had it first doesn't it? Space can wind up anywhere so it's just serendipity where you find it, Time likewise, they just need it to be on Earth at some point in time and it can travel back/forward to be found. Or someone tries to time travel and accidentally drags it to Earth. Not to mention at last count all three of the stones were somewhere in 'space' (Asgard, Xandar and Knowhere) so maybe we'll be going more cosmic than we think. Or Dr Strange can find Mind in his movie where he'll likely end up fighting Baron Mordo and Nightmare or something. And Adam Warlock can bring soul to earth when he turns up. It shouldn't be too hard, I don't think they need to have Thanos start with any (plus it'd be a plot-hole, if he had any of the three he could use them to get the other 5 fairly easily)

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
The_Darkness said:
But I thought the power stone was purple? That one looks red...
They gave him the comic version of the Power Gem/Stone, which is red.

Thus far none of the Infinity Gems have matched their comic book counterparts in terms of color. Space is purple:Tesseract is blue. Reality is yellow:Aether is red. Power is red:Stone from "Guardians" purple.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
That's neat, but I thoroughly doubt that Loki's scepter contained an infinity stone. After all, Thanos's minion gave that weapon to him. If I were an evil overlord who was after the most powerful objects in all creation, of which there were only six, I would NEVER hand one over to a third party.

Now, if the stone could be used to create a weapon that had a relatively minor power to control minds (much like how the Tesseract was employed to make weapons), that'd be another matter. It's possible that Thanos already has that stone.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The Gauntlet itself (and the Tesseract) are housed in the weapons vault on Asgard. I bet Thor 3 will be Thanos invading Asgard and stealing the glove and stone.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Trishbot said:
The_Darkness said:

008Zulu said:
The Gauntlet itself (and the Tesseract) are housed in the weapons vault on Asgard. I bet Thor 3 will be Thanos invading Asgard and stealing the glove and stone.
I'm pretty sure he has at least one probably more. You guys both need to watch Thor The Dark World again. Stay after the credits

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
It does not seem that far fetched to me that Loki's staff holds the mind gem. Thanos was after the tesseract after all and seems to want to keep that fact a bit of a secret. Presumably so no one realizes he's after the whole set. Giving Loki one infinity stone to go collect another hardly seems like a huge stretch of the imagination. Loki gets Earth and his revenge, Thanos gets the staff back along with the tesseract. This seems especially in tune with his style since he sent Ronan after the power stone instead of simply going and getting it himself. Why would it be so hard to believe that he gave one to Loki if he was willing to have Ronan get him another?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The Hungry Samurai said:
I'm pretty sure he has at least one probably more. You guys both need to watch Thor The Dark World again. Stay after the credits
I recall that scene with
The Collector
, not sure what point you are trying to make in regards to the gauntlet.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
008Zulu said:
The Hungry Samurai said:
I recall that scene with
The Collector
, not sure what point you are trying to make in regards to the gauntlet.
my Bad I meant the actual end, where Loki reveals himself to be disguised as Odin. I'm just suggesting that if he has access to the Infinity Stones than Thanos probably does as well. The ones on the way to the Collector were probably fakes..