Marvel Taps Superheroines for Chick Lit

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
obedai said:
I don't get it, why does she-hulk exist? These 'female version of male hero' characters have always seemed stupid to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that her comics are good (she obviously has enough fans to still exist) but it just seems like the writers could be much more creative. I guess they use those types of heroes to draw the interest of new readers, but they honestly make me want to read the stories LESS. I would much rather read about an original female superhero. Well I would, if there were more than two or three outside of x-men. Sigh...

Ooh, I have an idea, lets post ideas for female superheroes!
Oh there's no denying she was a stupid idea. Her original series was basically just "Hulk with boobs". She's become a completely different beast over the years though, complete with very original storylines and plenty of fourth wall breakage. She's just a FUN character, whereas a lot of other comics are diving headfirst into a new dark age.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Sixcess said:
Tarkand said:
She-Hulk had a long running comic book series (38 issues, so a little over 3 years) that wasn't about romance (any more or less than the typical comic book).
2 series in fact. I used to enjoy the John Byrne version a lot.

But I think that proves my point. These characters can work without being given stereotypical 'female interest' plots.

Can you imagine a romantic novel about Captain America? Thor? Iron Man? (Well, it could work with Tony, in a Blake Edwards sex comedy kind of way...)
I don't think it proves your point at all. He just showed you that Marvel can and does write female superheroes in a fashion other than what you are describing. And really, what's actually wrong with them expanding into new genres that you might not be interested in? Especially a genre dominated by female readers. I'd say that this is a refreshing change from the 90s era swimsuit spreads I remember seeing when I was a big comic reader.

As for why romance... well according to Wikipedia, romance novels are the best selling genre of literature in North America, making up almost 55% of all paperbacks sold in 2004(so much for the 1960s, eh?). And why not Captain America? Because if it didn't feature a female protagonist it would not be a romance novel. Want that to change? You need to be campaigning for equal male rights then, because you are now talking about a genre dominated by female authors and readers.

Seriously, this is not a mountain. This is not even a molehill. This is Marvel branching out into another genre. Don't like romance novels? Cool. Stop trying to shit on other people's enjoyment.

Oh, that's right: Internet. Carry on, then.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
Sixcess said:
Tarkand said:
She-Hulk had a long running comic book series (38 issues, so a little over 3 years) that wasn't about romance (any more or less than the typical comic book).
2 series in fact. I used to enjoy the John Byrne version a lot.

But I think that proves my point. These characters can work without being given stereotypical 'female interest' plots.

Can you imagine a romantic novel about Captain America? Thor? Iron Man? (Well, it could work with Tony, in a Blake Edwards sex comedy kind of way...)
I don't think it proves your point at all. He just showed you that Marvel can and does write female superheroes in a fashion other than what you are describing. And really, what's actually wrong with them expanding into new genres that you might not be interested in? Especially a genre dominated by female readers. I'd say that this is a refreshing change from the 90s era swimsuit spreads I remember seeing when I was a big comic reader.

As for why romance... well according to Wikipedia, romance novels are the best selling genre of literature in North America, making up almost 55% of all paperbacks sold in 2004(so much for the 1960s, eh?). And why not Captain America? Because if it didn't feature a female protagonist it would not be a romance novel. Want that to change? You need to be campaigning for equal male rights then, because you are now talking about a genre dominated by female authors and readers.

Seriously, this is not a mountain. This is not even a molehill. This is Marvel branching out into another genre. Don't like romance novels? Cool. Stop trying to shit on other people's enjoyment.

I almost agree with you entirely. All except one point. There are Romance Novels with male protagonists. Plenty of them. Gay romance novels are in fact very prevalent among women.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Is there a Marvel superheroine that could carry a film? Someone who could end up in avengers 2? Okay yeah.. we will get Wasp coming out of the Antman/Giantman film.... But I'd like to see a standalone.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sixcess said:
So... only female characters get romantically focused stories... or to put it a different way... female characters only get romantically focused stories.
Because the appeal of strong female characters to a female audience is their boy trouble. Duh!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MorganL4 said:
Is there a Marvel superheroine that could carry a film? Someone who could end up in avengers 2? Okay yeah.. we will get Wasp coming out of the Antman/Giantman film.... But I'd like to see a standalone.
Depends on what you mean. She-Hulk herself should be every bit as viable as Iron Man, who was a perennial B-Lister until the movies made money. I wouldn't have put either on the blockbuster track, but I think we have precedent now. Ms Marvel could probably fill the role too, especially as my understanding is she's had a resurgence in the comic world.

I'll throw this in, though. As someone who writes a female protagonist, I frequently joke with the people who read and give feedback for me that if the character were to be adapted to the silver screen, she would probably become a blonde bimbo with a damsel-in-distress issue who wore spandex or skintight leather.

As such, my biggest question would be: would such a female superhero movie end up getting the same shot as the male counterparts, or would it be more like the silver-screen version of these novels about boy troubles*?

*yes, simplified, but for effect.

And yeah, She-Hulk still has the problem of "Distaff Counterpart," but she's really spent a good chunk (if not all) of her comic career as her own entity. And a pretty badass one from the comics I've read.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Personally, I just want Empowered to get a TV show.

You know, it's strange that the character that was invented for a softcore parody ends up being one of the most well written and likable female super heroes, well, ever.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
Stop trying to shit on other people's enjoyment.

Yawn.

You could tag that little jibe onto the end of almost every post on the Escapist that criticises anything. On the level of online discussion it's about as useful a contribution as "Oh, first world problems."

I'm not trying to ruin anyone's enjoyment of this - if I've done so then they're way too easily influenced. But I think it's a lame idea that will accomplish nothing for reasons Therumancer explains better than I could.

So I said so.

Nicole Maronn

Nov 22, 2012
More ways for Disney to make money via Marvel. Still, I do like the concept and I will give the books a read; they seem perfect for those long, boring shifts at my job when I have nothing else I need to accomplish for the day.