Marvel Unlimited Drops Subscription For 15,000 Comics To 99 Cents

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Marvel Unlimited Drops Subscription For 15,000 Comics To 99 Cents

Marvel Comics' extensive digital back catalog is being offered at a limited-time subscription for new and returning members.

If you're interested in superhero comics, but aren't especially enthralled with digging through back issues to follow continuity, services like Marvel Unlimited are incredibly useful. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122568-Marvels-Entire-Digital-Catalog-Available-via-Mobile-App>It's basically a comic book version of Netflix, comprising a library of 15,000 digital issues that can be accessed at any time. Even better, the subscription prices are very modest compared to monthly book pricing, and you can download up to 12 issues to a mobile app. But perhaps you're looking for something else to sweeten the pot? How about this: For a limited time, Marvel Unlimited is offering its standard monthly subscription for a mere 99 cents.

The deal is being offered in conjunction with SXSW Interactive 2014, although you don't have to attend the event to gain the benefits. All new and returning Marvel Unlimited subscribers can take advantage of the discount until March 14, at which point the subscription will revert to its usual $10 price.

Marvel Unlimited doesn't provide access to issues published within the past six months, but to its credit, it offers just about everything else. Once your account is active, you can read anything from the first appearances of Spider-Man and The Avengers to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118265-Marvels-Giving-The-Avengers-a-New-Beginning>the opening storylines of Marvel NOW. That's several decades worth of comic book history for a mere dollar, which even for an ongoing subscription doesn't seem like a bad trade.

Source: <a href=http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/3/3/22060/read_nearly_15000_digital_comics_for_99_cents>Marvel Comics

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Anyone already using this subscription mind explaining how it works...because this sounds pretty sweet. Is this available in the UK?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
gibboss28 said:
Anyone already using this subscription mind explaining how it works...because this sounds pretty sweet. Is this available in the UK?
Apparently it is available worldwide unless you buy the subscription that comes with physical goodies. So if you just want digital comics you can get it in the UK. The best FAQ thing they have is this:

http://marvel.com/help/category/8/topic/36

I was kind of interested but since it is only $1 for a month and $10 afterwards I'm not sure I'd use it enough to get my dorrahs worth. I'd probably just end up binging on comics for a month then forget them after a few weeks and want to reread them.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
MinionJoe said:
Even when I was at the peak of my comic collecting phase, I never spent $10 a month on them.
Wait, really? I don't do comics, but to my knowledge books are like $4 each and release once a month. Did you just only read two titles or something?

As for this actual thing: I'd be more interested if it wasn't minimum 6 months behind current comics. (At least that's what I think I read from their FAQ forever ago) so if you get your comics this way and talk to anybody else who is into comics you'll always be in the past.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
MinionJoe said:
Falterfire said:
Wait, really? I don't do comics, but to my knowledge books are like $4 each and release once a month. Did you just only read two titles or something?
Er... are they really that expensive now?

I remember the day they topped $1 each.

Damn I'm old. ;P

I didn't read the terms too closely (I don't have an iDevice/Android), but I'm wondering how long you can retain those 12 comics/month. Can one download 12 one month and 12 more the next and keep them all? Or can you only ever have 12 on your device?
Comics are usually 3 or 4 bucks, annuals and other bigger sized books are like 5 or even 6 bucks. I'd probably read fifty titles a month if they only cost 1 dollar, haha, that'd be awesome. I'm thinking you can download as many comics as you want in that month but only store twelve at a time, so you'd have to delete some after reading through them. Once the month is up though anything you've downloaded would probably revert to a preview copy.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
What?! I just renewed a week ago. Drat!

next month I'll pay the $69 for a year's sub. I find it really good value since there's a wealth of issues to read whenever. I've just read the 2008 Guardians of the Galaxy series. It works like Netflix sure there isn't EVERYTHING, and there's a mix of old and new, but it's far cheaper than buying issues or trade paperbacks.

MinionJoe said:
I didn't read the terms too closely (I don't have an iDevice/Android), but I'm wondering how long you can retain those 12 comics/month. Can one download 12 one month and 12 more the next and keep them all? Or can you only ever have 12 on your device?
How it works is you can read as many as you want out of their library online or on the iOS/Android app as long as you're connected to the internet. On the apps you can download up to 12 issues at any time so you can read offline. So I could start reading issues 1-3 of, say, She Hulk, on my iPad at home connected to WiFi, and then download 4-6 to read on the train to work. Once you've read them you can clear them off and download some more. So the 12 limit is only for OFFLINE storage at any one time. You can read as many as you like in a month.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Anyone having any luck signing up for this? The website does't seem to be working for sign ups. Entered all my info then just kept getting error messages. Downloaded on my ipad, but you can't sign up from there.

Very frustrating as this looks cool.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Derp! It does work, you have to use the promo code.

Well, getting the 99C price works... but it won't take my card number. Learn to Paypal Marvel!
Oh apparently they don't accept debit cards for some medieval bullshit reason. Guess its time to actually use my credit card for once. Nevermind, it expired in 2011.

Well that's the end of that then.

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
I currently have a Marvel Unlimited Subscription so for those of you wondering here's how it works.

--There is a Marvel Unlimeted App you can download for your Andriod/iPhone/Tablet. To this device you can download up to 12 comics to be accessed even if you are offline. In addition to these comics you download, you can read any number of comics so long as you have an internet connection. Think of it like "streaming" comics. I use this feature all the time. (The only time I use the download feature is if I'm going to be on an airplane or something)

-- In addition to reading on a mobile device, you can also read straight from your computer/ laptop just by going to marvel.com/comics. You can then browse by series, character, creators, or events/crossovers.

-- Yes the comics in Unlimited are 6 months behind print issues, however the Unlimited library is updated with new comics every week so it never gets further than 6 months behind. While new comics are good, there are some great older comics that are well worth your time: The famous Dark Phoenix Saga
Frank Miller's Daredevil
The critically acclaimed Runaways
and really all of the best Spider-Man stories

For those of you new to comics, who really want to immerse yourself in the Marvel Universe, here are some websites to help you get started:

If you want to read from the very beginnings of the Marvel Universe starting at Fantastic Four #1 go here: http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/list.php

If you want to start from the Modern Era of the Marvel Universe go here: http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/list.php

I have thoroughly enjoyed my Unlimited subscription, and have definitely got my money's worth. ( I read way more than $10 worth of comics in a month, hell some days I knock that out before lunch)

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
wulfy42 said:
Anyone having any luck signing up for this? The website does't seem to be working for sign ups. Entered all my info then just kept getting error messages. Downloaded on my ipad, but you can't sign up from there.

Yeah I had some real trouble signing up for this last year. It kept telling me I had an invalid address but not what was wrong with it. I recommend shooting thier customer support an email asking for some help. I got a reply the next day saying that they had activated the subscription for my account.

Of course then I had to keep emailing them every month since for some reason it would charge me but not renew the subscription...

Very annoying since it's overall a great service and I was definitely getting my money's worth.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Lizardon said:
wulfy42 said:

Yeah I had some real trouble signing up for this last year. It kept telling me I had an invalid address but not what was wrong with it. I recommend shooting thier customer support an email asking for some help. I got a reply the next day saying that they had activated the subscription for my account.

Of course then I had to keep emailing them every month since for some reason it would charge me but not renew the subscription...

Very annoying since it's overall a great service and I was definitely getting my money's worth.
I think it was just a problem with the site for awhile, I tried signing up again a few hours ago and had no problem. It does have a ton of great comics...reading some xmen right now...but not yet sure if I'll stick with it, or try something a bit different.

I was hoping the Walking Dead was going to be on there, but that is not marvel so no go sadly. I watch the show and have always been interested in the comics.

It's an incredible deal though. The cost of comics have just skyrocketed in the last decade or so, to the point where it just wasn't worth getting them anymore for me, so I would just grab them every so often from the library etc. Even $10 a month though is a great deal, especially when I have so many years of not reading comics to make up for!!

I do have to say it's....crazy confusing trying to jump back in though. I just decided to start on one of the new xmen series (like #200 or something), I've read a few of them from the library already, but not in a row..so it seems like a good place to start for now. So many comics for me to read though.

Considering Gardians of the Galaxy is coming up, I may read that series soon just to prep. Heck, I play Marvel Heroes Online as well, so this is one way for me to get alot of backstory on the 14 or so characters I have unlocked:)

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
coheedswicked said:
I currently have a Marvel Unlimited Subscription so for those of you wondering here's how it works.

--There is a Marvel Unlimeted App you can download for your Andriod/iPhone/Tablet. To this device you can download up to 12 comics to be accessed even if you are offline. In addition to these comics you download, you can read any number of comics so long as you have an internet connection. Think of it like "streaming" comics. I use this feature all the time. (The only time I use the download feature is if I'm going to be on an airplane or something)

-- In addition to reading on a mobile device, you can also read straight from your computer/ laptop just by going to marvel.com/comics. You can then browse by series, character, creators, or events/crossovers.

-- Yes the comics in Unlimited are 6 months behind print issues, however the Unlimited library is updated with new comics every week so it never gets further than 6 months behind. While new comics are good, there are some great older comics that are well worth your time: The famous Dark Phoenix Saga
Frank Miller's Daredevil
The critically acclaimed Runaways
and really all of the best Spider-Man stories

For those of you new to comics, who really want to immerse yourself in the Marvel Universe, here are some websites to help you get started:

If you want to read from the very beginnings of the Marvel Universe starting at Fantastic Four #1 go here: http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/list.php

If you want to start from the Modern Era of the Marvel Universe go here: http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/list.php

I have thoroughly enjoyed my Unlimited subscription, and have definitely got my money's worth. ( I read way more than $10 worth of comics in a month, hell some days I knock that out before lunch)
Coheedswicked,

I tried to find the dark phoenix series. That is the one where she's in an alternate universe and used as an assassin to kill all the other mutants right? With the hellfire club as primary bad guys etc? I read that many years ago and want to re-read it. I wasn't having much luck finding any specific time in the Xmen history though, there are just too many different versions etc.

I was able to find the secret wars #1 and #2 (In 2 I think he boosts phoenix's power drastically if I remember right), but no luck on finding the dark phoenix part so far. Jumping back into comics this way (used to read spider man, thor, x-men mostly) is really hard.

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
wulfy42 said:
Coheedswicked,

I tried to find the dark phoenix series. That is the one where she's in an alternate universe and used as an assassin to kill all the other mutants right? With the hellfire club as primary bad guys etc? I read that many years ago and want to re-read it. I wasn't having much luck finding any specific time in the Xmen history though, there are just too many different versions etc.

I was able to find the secret wars #1 and #2 (In 2 I think he boosts phoenix's power drastically if I remember right), but no luck on finding the dark phoenix part so far. Jumping back into comics this way (used to read spider man, thor, x-men mostly) is really hard.
Dark Phoenix Saga runs from Uncanny X-Men (1963-2011) #129-137.
Hope this helps