Marvel vs Capcom 3 Tier Discussion (KEEP IT CIVIL!)

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Glaive_21842 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Aura Guardian said:
Tron Bonne in bottom tier? HAHA.
I laughed too. This list looks like it has been composed by someone who's only played the game for ten minutes, Tron is insane when used properly, like most of the the characters.
Indeed. Another suggestion i would make is to completely remove the Crap Tier and possibly the Bottom Tier placements. Simply stated, there's no character in this game that's actually that bad. Even Felicia deserves Lower Tier if she's really as bad as the OP say she is (to which i have no comment).
I really was considering getting rid of the bottom two... but then I felt everyone would whine that there's no bottom tier and stuff and... well apperently trolls will whine no matter what I do and I thought we were more mature here... oh well...

As for Felicia... she's quick, her Rolling Buckler really can be spammed non-stop for infinite air juggle (that yes can be blocked, but still it's good chip/pressure if you get them in a corner)

But she takes damage and she's just not very... yeah I'm getting WAAAY to tired of and for this...

all I wanted was peoples opinions of what belongs where

instead I get a bunch of people whining about Tron and Haggar...

but considering that they're the ONLY two I got wrong (it seems) that's pretty good if you ask me (still better then the stupid Brawl tier that everyone keeps whining about because sonic got ranked bottom and everyone says he's cheap just because of one move he has...)

then again who am I to compare a fighting game to whatever the heck Brawl is (other then the biggest waste of $50 I ever spent...)

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
To be honest I don't get this whole tier thing and I never play online so I cant tell.

The way I been seeing all characters can be amazing when used well. I hear projectile characters (mainly Sentinel) are spammed, but hear players easily countering them and demolishing them. I'm no pro hell I only handle arcade on normal, but one thing I notice is all the characters ca equal dish out punishing combos.

As for the list I'd raise Chun, Tron, and Akuma. Not sure where though.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
You sound like a whiner to me and unless you're a a professional player, tiers mean nothing.

I hate fighting game communities for this exact reason, you all ***** and moan about which characters are 'broken' or 'god tier', but those things mean nothing to 99% of the players.

Also, if you're having problems with heavy attack spam from Ammy, you're probably not using advanced guard, which means you're at such a novice level that you shouldn't even be talking about tiers. The irony is hilarious.
No, I'm a professional player that wants to shut my whiner rage-quitter "friends" up

and no I don't have problems with her spam, except when you get hit by the first one and get sucked into the combo and can't get out (...unless there's a way to break combos... but last I saw this wasn't killer instinct)

It is ironic... because I the person that cares least about tiers... started one, to get it perfected by others
(on the merit to shut others up about it)

if there's anything I missed here I'm sorry but I must be going
have school
arm randomly started bleeding

...todays going to be a fun day

Be back in 2 hours!

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
My only experience of this game is my best friends first playthrough on YT.

Looks terribly unbalanced anyway.

Durxom

May 12, 2009
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
Mr. Omega said:
I don't really pay attention to tiers (Otherwise I'd never use most of the guys I do use), but there are some characters who are a little more annoying to face than others. Of course, maybe that's because I've faced nothing but Dante, Wesker, Zero, Akuma and the occasional Deadpool online. I'm sorry, but I just hate running into the same 5 characters online.
Ah, yes. I once compared Dante to SF4 Ken because you see them all the time online. Does the fact that they have the same voice count as irony?

In all seriousness though, isn't it a bit early to be discussing character tiers, OP? The game hasn't even been out a month yet.
That's mostly because Dante is well...Dante. He's one of Capcom's most well established characters, people like him, and he's sarcastic. It's also why people are pulled towards Deadpool as well, it just helps that both of the characters are well-rounded.

He's just one of the fan fav characters. Like Nightmare in SC, or Link and Sonic in Smash Bros. and etc.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Honestly, even if there are tiers, at this point with one exception *coughSentinelcough*, all of them are just about even. Sure, a few are easier to learn (Dante, Wesker), but once you get the hang of it, each one has their own ways of kicking ass. I've seen situations where She-hulk completely goes to town on Dante, and parts where Veiwtiful Joe destroys Akuma. None of them are underpowered, and the ones that seem overpowered can be beaten with an understanding of the basics. Honestly, the only character I have an actual gripe with is Sentinel.

Wolfpocalypse

Nov 18, 2009
my best guess so far is that the best characters are: sent, akuma/Phoenix(there here but cant decide in which order) fucking TRON BONN, wesker, trish, mags, storm, x 23. dante is not cheap, upper mid no more for now. these lists are gonna be redundant in a few days at this rate but what the heck! the game seems very well balanced so far, im liking it more and more!

Dec 14, 2009
WOPR said:
Daystar Clarion said:
You sound like a whiner to me and unless you're a a professional player, tiers mean nothing.

I hate fighting game communities for this exact reason, you all ***** and moan about which characters are 'broken' or 'god tier', but those things mean nothing to 99% of the players.

Also, if you're having problems with heavy attack spam from Ammy, you're probably not using advanced guard, which means you're at such a novice level that you shouldn't even be talking about tiers. The irony is hilarious.
No, I'm a professional player that wants to shut my whiner rage-quitter "friends" up

and no I don't have problems with her spam, except when you get hit by the first one and get sucked into the combo and can't get out (...unless there's a way to break combos... but last I saw this wasn't killer instinct)

It is ironic... because I the person that cares least about tiers... started one, to get it perfected by others
(on the merit to shut others up about it)

if there's anything I missed here I'm sorry but I must be going
have school
arm randomly started bleeding

...todays going to be a fun day

Be back in 2 hours!
Uhuh, suuuuuuuuure you're a professional player.

I'll just be over here, polishing my golden time machine. Also, the time machine is on fire.

Glaive_21842

Dec 21, 2009
On top of my previous statements on removing Crap and Bottom tiers is to also the removal of the God Tier placement. X-23 and Trish are certainly good, but i have a hard time placing them higher than characters such as Sentinel and Storm. Equal to for sure, but certainly not better, or at least not better enough to warrant another tier placement.

Soooo, for a quick summary in my standard format so far...
1) X-23 and Trish lower. Reasoning above
2) Felicia, Hulk, Morrigan, She-Hulk, and Viper higher. Reasoning in a previous post. (for short...sure they're bad, but not worse than Captain america or Ryu)
3) Removal of the Crap, Bottom, and God tier placements. I don't feel that the game's balance is wide enough for the inclusion of these tier placements.
(This is the last you'll hear from me on this matter)

And now for something new
1) Ryu higher. Which I agree with the OP's position on this charater, I feel as if his Hadoken super needs to be considered with more weight. It covers massive area, can be aimed, thus usable in more situations than the standard beam super, and comes out exceedingly fast. NOTE this is another suggestion that I don't feel too strongly about. Even with the above reasoning, its entirely feasible to keep him in lower tier, but i do feel that there is grounds for discussion about a possible bump to middle. More discussion would be nice here.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Tiers...they can't possibly exist. How do I know that? I'm equally shitty with all the characters.

Glaive_21842

Dec 21, 2009
pretentiousname01 said:
Should be

Sentinel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyone else.
Meh, not that big of a gap, although i would place Sentinel at the top. As for legitimate tiering (LOL i know), just remember that Sentinel is so large that there are combos that work only against him, many of which can be 100% combos with Xfactor and 1-2 worth of meter. He'll come down in tier as the pro scene figures out more ways to deal with him, but he will always be a terror for the non-pro scene.

pretentiousname01

Sep 30, 2009
Glaive_21842 said:
pretentiousname01 said:
Should be

Sentinel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyone else.
Meh, not that big of a gap, although i would place Sentinel at the top. As for legitimate tiering (LOL i know), just remember that Sentinel is so large that there are combos that work only against him, many of which can be 100% combos with Xfactor and 1-2 worth of meter. He'll come down in tier as the pro scene figures out more ways to deal with him, but he will always be a terror for the non-pro scene.
Sentinel as so many good tools though. While most characters are typically only played in one fashion.

In addition to his armored normals give him options in places alot of other characters don't.

OT. I'd just wait until the big sites put out a rudimentary tier listing. They do much more extensive testing than just one persons opinions. They are also what the metagame will develop around.

Also captchas suck

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
This again...?

Ok, I'm done, not trying to bring logic here any more, if you wanna make tiers and feel you know stuff go ahead.

Btw, anyone up for games in a few minutes? :p

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Thor is crap; way too slow. He can't even air combo because he's too slow.

You're saying stupid things my friend. Thor can do 75% of your life with one super for no x-factor. He certainly can air combo, you just need to ADJUST to his timing, then he can use his B thunder strike and then cancel it into a thunder tornado. If you're in the corner he has a 100% HP reset with his air command grab which you can't avoid.

He's slow but a huge powerhouse, if you can play the game he's more dangerous than Sentinel, just not as noob-friendly.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Dreiko said:
Thor is crap; way too slow. He can't even air combo because he's too slow.

You're saying stupid things my friend. Thor can do 75% of your life with one super for no x-factor. He certainly can air combo, you just need to ADJUST to his timing, then he can use his B thunder strike and then cancel it into a thunder tornado. If you're in the corner he has a 100% HP reset with his air command grab which you can't avoid.

He's slow but a huge powerhouse, if you can play the game he's more dangerous than Sentinel, just not as noob-friendly.
Agreed

however, I just play as who I LIKE to play as
and amazingly I don't like playing as uber-cheap characters (*cough* Sentinel *cough*)
Amatarasu was fun for a breif while... then when I found out how spammable forword B was... yeah that was fun for ten seconds then it got really boring

I tend to play as a mix of the following

Dante, Deadpool, Dormammu, Zero, Wesker, Iron Man, Wolverine, Captain America, Akuma
(mainly the first 3)

Memento_Mori

Mar 19, 2010
While I disagree with a large number of your tier allocations, I find the whole discussion itself very interesting.
Honestly I think Haggar, Morrigan, Felicia, and Chun-Li are much better than the credit their given.
Sentinal, while beatable, is probably the only character I'd refer to as "cheap" in any way.
Personally, my favorite characters are some combination of Deadpool, Morrigan, Haggar, and Capt. America. That's just me though..