Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 6: F.Z.Z.T.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
I found this one not only better than Scorch, but also the best so far. Primarily because Fitz and Simmons get to do more than just be the giddy bubble-headed science twins. Simmons is so cheerful and happy while talking about how this deadly virus propagates and emerges in huge blasts of electricity... until she realizes she has it, like a doctor obsessively cataloguing cancer symptoms out of morbid interest instead of a desire to cure it. On that note, one of their flying probes is now infected as well isn't it (the second victim)?

'HURR HURR I'm Agent Grant Ward, I ate Chuck Norris for breakfast this morning'.

warrenEBB

Nov 4, 2008
TheStatutoryApe said:
Or does Fitz like Skye... Who is into Ward... Who is interested in Simmons... Who... uh... wants... Skye?
right on, i was coming in here to babble about this. Call it the "Love Polygon" (in which every character on the show seems to be in love with another).

I'd tweak one link in your chain though: I thought the bit where Fitz talks through how Simmons has always been dragging him around suggested that he was realizing she had thing for him. Maybe I was reading too much into it. Maybe he was just realizing how much he valued her. or that she was a good friend, or whatever.
But the way he shut down that train of talking-thought and start clumsily struggling to get back to work made me feel for them both. To me it was the moment where a lonely guy who's pining for the wrong girl (skye) realizes his best friend is pining for him - as she is about to die. (sniff).

warrenEBB

Nov 4, 2008
Alek_the_Great said:
Eh, I still doubt this show could ever be as good as Arrow has been. ...
man, i'm stunned that so many folks are so positive about Arrow.
After some glowing praise from (usually snarky) people on io9, i decided to jump in. Caught up just as the new season started. and had to give it up a couple weeks ago.
it's basically just another cliche CW show about pretty young people who ***** about being rich and sexy. Full of soap opera relationships and lots of staring.
(... I guess I was excited by the potential that the island would be Lost-level interesting. magical or spiritual. but by the second episode they'd crapped on that and revealed it to just be a Chinese military goon complex? meh. I still dig Diggle, because the actor has so much charisma. Wanted to dig Harry-Dresden-guy as the eternally drunk cop, but eventually just found myself laughing at his endless hate-filled dad antics. The main character seems to have 2 looks. the lawyer-love-interest has perfected her lusty open mouth staring as a response to all things. not quite acting. bleargh)

I enjoy Agents of Sheild for not being about a bunch mopey brats who communicate like 12 year olds.
(i'm being harsh because I feel like Arrow is some sort of emperor's new clothes. Not attacking you as for liking it.)
(... somehow I went super negative here, when i just meant to bring it around to how much better A.o.S. is ... erg)

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Best episode yet, for me. Not sure why people are suggesting the Ward/Simmons thing, he's more like the protective big brother to all the kids, making sure they come home safe. And while I know people will ship anything, I don't really get the romantic vibe coming from him towards anyone. That would be a fun twist, that the generically handsome, muscular white dude of the show doesn't have any inter-team relationships. That would be good, because then we could give FitzSimmons the space to do...whatever it is they're wanting to do. With the number of red herrings around, it's quite fun to notice all the SUBTLE clues they're dropping about him being an android/robot/cyborg/tin dog, but I don't think they're really going through with that. Misdirection seems more likely.

PrimePowerOn

Nov 30, 2009
Ferisar said:
Now give me a geometric shape to describe that relationship! I need to e-mail it to the writing staff!
Assuming that we add Fitz to the love shape, and because the word is relevant in the Marvel universe, why not a Tesseract [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract]?

It theoretically fits with the mercurial nature of love-things.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
If there's one flaw with this episode, it's that we missed the REAL debriefing. I mean, there must have been a ton of emotion going on in the moments after everyone realized what happened, but we just get to see hours later after Ward and Simmons get fished out of the ocean. I can imagine the two of them would have shared an interesting moment talking about how Simmons just tried to commit suicide, similarly with Coulson and the Cavalry as Coulson is once again faced with death and the loss of a team member, while Fitz probably knelt down on the cargo bay door, unable to move, even think, until he heard Simmons was safe. I wanted to see all of that, feel all of it, but what I got was 'Well, you're safe. Don't do it again.'

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Why do the Shield bosses in this show always have their face half in shadow like its supposed to mean they're a bit evil?

warrenEBB said:
it's basically just another cliche CW show about pretty young people who ***** about being rich and sexy. Full of soap opera relationships and lots of staring.
Arrow started like a soap with one guy who sometimes like to shoot people with a bow and I almost gave up on it too but it does get a lot better.

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
just like to say thanks for these articles, they are a real test of my patience as being in the uk each ep does not get onto tv till friday, as i somehow never got into comics like my friends i know basically noting about the backstory and all these topics that are intamated during the show are going over my head so a nice recap and rundown of stuff is handy.

with the whole love geometric shape thing that they are are hinting at i wouldnt be supprised if it we were all being set up to be subverted. as has been said its a bit of an old trope but then as we saw last ep they are willing to take you one way, skye double cross shacking up with other half on the sly, and then blow it apart right away. so maybe we have a brother sister relationship with fitz simmons then skye resiprocates simmones feelings but they are breaking some rule or other so get told noting can happen. that probally wont happen but its at least something different from the norm.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I really enjoyed this episode. It was one of the first where I sat back after watching it and said to myself "hey that was really good!"

it made me much more invested in the characters (slowly but surely I guess) and I'm def more excited for the next episode than before :D

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I'm enjoying the show it's the not the best show in the world but after watching revolution and defiance it looks a lot better by comparison. Don't even get me started on how revolution got a second season it's the biggest piece of dreck I've seen for a while.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
ritchards said:
Was it just me, but during the May/Coulson scene, did May imply that she too also died at one point?
I felt that she implied that she almost died.

azra_jael said:
I think I'm in the minority in that I really like Fitz/Simmons so I was really happy with this episode. It was nice getting those tidbits of background about them and seeing them do more than just SCIENCE! all the time. Also Skye is becoming less annoying to me as the show goes on, luckily.
It was good that we finally got a bigger emotional spectrum from the cast.

Also, you're not the only one. I really like Fitz/Simmons too, and I was afraid they were going to kill Simmons.