Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 9: Repairs

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
Rawbeard said:
This episode was stupid. A plot was pointless (ghost from the afterlife, or worse "we let that guy be stuck in another dimension, because it's more convenient for this girl here" Fuck off!). I also very much hated the "ghost's" quantum plot state where he was only visible once they knew it was not telekinesis. It would have been useful for him if he could have remained invisible while still being able to affect the material world.

B plot... oh boy... "I went unarmed into a situation where I had to overcome armed, zealous opposition outnumbering me 20 to 1. I did it without negative consequences other than "I am sad now"" Fuck off! Forced drama like this has no place in anything not written by an angsty teen on his webcomic. "My name is May Sue, I have the super power of succeeding at whatever I need to do, but that is sad, so please don't praise me, because that is so insensitive of you" Fuck off!
This

I had to stop watching when May forgot that guy wasn't a "real" Ghost and talked him into starving alone on Nifelhlem or whatever with her "tragic" backstory. It was literally painful to watch.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Why were none of the characters bothered that May consigning someone to Hell? I mean it probably wasn't hell even in the Event Horizon sense, but still...

Apr 17, 2009
So, anyone else wondering if, what with that Defenders TV series that'll be turning up at some point, the good people at Marvel have decided to relent and make that Peterson guy Luke Cage like we all know he's supposed to be?

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Stupidity said:
Rawbeard said:
This episode was stupid. A plot was pointless (ghost from the afterlife, or worse "we let that guy be stuck in another dimension, because it's more convenient for this girl here" Fuck off!). I also very much hated the "ghost's" quantum plot state where he was only visible once they knew it was not telekinesis. It would have been useful for him if he could have remained invisible while still being able to affect the material world.

B plot... oh boy... "I went unarmed into a situation where I had to overcome armed, zealous opposition outnumbering me 20 to 1. I did it without negative consequences other than "I am sad now"" Fuck off! Forced drama like this has no place in anything not written by an angsty teen on his webcomic. "My name is May Sue, I have the super power of succeeding at whatever I need to do, but that is sad, so please don't praise me, because that is so insensitive of you" Fuck off!
This

I had to stop watching when May forgot that guy wasn't a "real" Ghost and talked him into starving alone on Nifelhlem or whatever with her "tragic" backstory. It was literally painful to watch.
Really? I didn't get that impression when I watched it. The science of how the guy got stuck there is experimental at best and unless they want to spend billions of dollars on a particle collider, juts to blow it up and see if the guy can return is highly unlikely.

I get why people view this as a bad episode, but I took a step back and looked at in different terms. A plot: Person with powers is discovered and the Scoobies ride off to talk to that person. I liked the twist of it being Tobias, though it was predictable. Person blames herself for the accident, amusingly true, if it wasn't for stalker-man.

I do like that fact that May is getting more fleshed out. Since we can only speculate on who May went in after, I think what actually happened, is the fearless Agent May failed. I think she didn't save anyone in the building. I think people may have gotten out under their own initiative, but the people May went in after were killed before she could save them, one after the other. The parallel between May and Skye, as given by Agent Coulson, was interesting as it gives a point of reference.

I think May let her reputation as the 'Cavalry' grow, because she could never get rid of the nickname without quitting SHIELD, and she is still trying to atone for her mistakes.

That's my view of the show anyway. And I don't think this TV show is really going to get to Joss Whedon quality fora while as they are hampered by Movie releases.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
MovieBob said:

"Last week's episode" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/10767-Marvels-Agents-of-S-H-I-E-L-D-Review-Episode-8-The-Well] of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D was a real winner. Unfortunately, by the laws of episodic television that means it?s likely to be immediately followed by something less than a winner.

Read Full Article
You seem to have a lot of issue with Melinda May and Ward hooking up, but it's really not that bad. Using the age to creepiness formula (age/2+7) they hit right on the border of not creepy, and if you ask me, Ming Na Wen gets extra leeway on that for looking no where near 50.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
VoidWanderer said:
Stupidity said:
Really? I didn't get that impression when I watched it. The science of how the guy got stuck there is experimental at best and unless they want to spend billions of dollars on a particle collider, juts to blow it up and see if the guy can return is highly unlikely.
SHIELD literally burns billions of dollars on rockets to the sun to destroy alien priceless artifacts that can't be currently understood routinely. Dropping a couple mil on some poor schmuck afflicted by a %100 mundane human technology doesn't seem like a bad investment. Plus, its their job to help people like Tobias.

The only reason they killed Scorch was because he was beyond saving and he was too dangerous. They knew his powers were overloading, and he couldn't be reasoned with despite months of SHIELD's continued efforts including a bloody rescue mission, for frak's sake.

All it took to reason with Tobias was "Wait Tobias! She's a friend!" and boom, he calmed down. The first contact he made with the churchtian girl turned out to be all that was needed. Ironically, it seems that the only way the writers could explain why Tobias just didn't try to communicate with her in the first place was because of some possible Autism, but that really just makes him even more of a victim.

But May goes the extra mile and talks him into suffering in some foreign realm where he will likely die horribly anyways. If May's trying for redemption here, she's doing it wrong. Resigning to Unnecessary Suffering does not equal Moving On.

Now, if May continuing to make mistakes is supposed to be character development, then I can get behind that for later episodes. But so far it feels like the writers don't know if they want to make her a stone cold killer (who doesn't need to be on a rescue squad) or a badass with a hidden heart of gold.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
The Hungry Samurai said:
MovieBob said:

"Last week's episode" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/10767-Marvels-Agents-of-S-H-I-E-L-D-Review-Episode-8-The-Well] of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D was a real winner. Unfortunately, by the laws of episodic television that means it?s likely to be immediately followed by something less than a winner.

Read Full Article
You seem to have a lot of issue with Melinda May and Ward hooking up, but it's really not that bad. Using the age to creepiness formula (age/2+7) they hit right on the border of not creepy, and if you ask me, Ming Na Wen gets extra leeway on that for looking no where near 50.
Yeah, I don't see what the problem is there either.

Its just sex anyways.

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
Towels said:
SHIELD literally burns billions of dollars on rockets to the sun to destroy alien priceless artifacts that can't be currently understood routinely. Dropping a couple mil on some poor schmuck afflicted by a %100 mundane human technology doesn't seem like a bad investment. Plus, its their job to help people like Tobias.
Plus how much did they spend on Nazi/Alien death rays and Hover-carriers? Seems like invisible teleporting shocktroops might be a better tool than energy blasters and flying fortresses.
But no, they have to kill him off and bury the tech to end the episode with forced drama....

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Does Fox own the TV rights to mutants? because aren't film and TV rights usually treated as separate things? after all Disney does include mutants and Spiderman in it's TV cartoons.
Doesn't matter, because this is in continuity with the Marvel movie universe where those things can't exist.
It's not a legal thing, it's a universe thing.

Forktongue

May 19, 2009
Funny, I read Tobias's situation very differently.
I thought they had established that he hadn't so much teleported to another dimension as he had become stuck between dimensions, and that it was causing him to fade from existence. The glowing blue hand and his increased difficulty in understanding what was going on was a sign of his life fading away. So when May gave the 'let her go' speech, I took it to mean she was urging this guy to stop fighting, to move on (as in, let himself die). Morbid? Yea. As bad as a literal "go to hell"? Nah.