Marvel's Giving The Avengers "a New Beginning"

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Marvel's Giving The Avengers "a New Beginning"

Marvel will launch several new titles in response to DC's New 52 Event.

When two comic book publishers carry the majority of superhero comics between them for over half a century, it's easy to get the impression that they're constantly copying each other. After DC launched the Final Crisis mini-series in which "evil wins", Marvel rolled out their own Dark Reign event. When Marvel restored an optimistic, pre-Civil War status quo with The Heroic Age, DC did the same in its universe with Brightest Day. And now that DC's New 52 event has <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110541-DC-Comics-Rebooting-Entire-Universe-Back-to-1>rebooted the entire continuity. Marvel is attempting to revitalize its own superhero line with Marvel NOW!, set to relaunch multiple titles with new first issues starting in October.

While this approach is almost identical to New 52 from a publishing perspective, Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso is quick to point out that Marvel NOW! is a different beast. "This ain't a reboot. It's a new beginning," Alonso says, explaining that the universe won't suddenly reset. Marvel NOW! will instead transition ongoing Marvel storylines to jumping-on points over the course of several months. "In the months of October through February, every week you can go into a comic book store and find a few new jumping-on points for the Marvel Universe, a place you're going to like visiting. Or revisiting."

Just as New 52 followed up DC's Flashpoint event, Marvel NOW! books will spin-off from the unfolding Avengers Vs X-Men storyline. Rick Remender and John Cassaday will develop Uncanny Avengers, a series uniting the Avengers and X-Men into a single team when Captain America "recognizes that he hasn't done enough to help the mutants." Jonathan Hickman and Jerome Opena will take over the core Avengers series, increasing the team size to sixteen "popular characters, B-listers, and new characters". Former Avengers writer Brian Michael Bendis is moving on to All-New X-Men, a time-travel story about the original teenaged X-Men arriving in our darker modern era with art by Stuart Immonen. "Here's the big question that the original X-Men are gonna be faced with," Bendis explains, "we're gonna grow up, and this is what we're going to get? That is not acceptable."

For regular comics readers, an announcement like this has been expected for some time. Once the concepts introduced in 2006's Civil War reached their logical conclusion two years ago, the company needed a new direction for their ongoing titles, which in comics is usually accompanied by a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111141-DC-Sends-Clark-Kent-And-Lois-Lane-To-Divorce-Court>drastic re-imagining of regular characters. Coincidentally, Marvel Now! is also well-positioned to capitalize on fans of this summer's The Avengers by adapting the designs of movie-version Captain America and Nick Fury into comic book canon.

Will the relaunch be successful? It's hard to say, although <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113509-DC-Reboot-Sells-Like-Super-Powered-Hotcakes>DC fared pretty well all things considered. Comic book fans will just have to wait until October to find out.

Source: EW.com

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
So, how long before everything goes back to normal?
Too long. I don't mind when Marvel does their alternate timeline stories(Age of Apocalypse and such), but I'm not a big fan of them trying to rewrite the main titles. And it's not like it ever lasts, anyway.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
New 52 sucked, and it was a lie.

Not a 'reboot' but a 'hey, lets make some new-ish stories set YEARS after stuff happened'.

BAH!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
aaaaaand this is why I don't read super heros

it never bloody ends :p

Oct 30, 2010
I've never read Hickman. I'm curious whether I'll like seeing more cosmic, or I'll be the metaphorical raging fanboy for the DnA era.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Well I can understa. . .

Wait, is that a goddamn raccoon with a minigun at the bottom of that picture? Who is he? Why doesn't he have his own movie yet? I demand answers people!

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Bobic said:
Well I can understa. . .

Wait, is that a goddamn raccoon with a minigun at the bottom of that picture? Who is he? Why doesn't he have his own movie yet? I demand answers people!
If I'm not mistaken, that is Rocket Raccoon. He was captain of a star ship with his first mate Wal Russ (a talking walrus) who where both genetically manipulated to grant them human level intelligence, and is a member of the Guardians of Galaxy.

And he will probably be in a movie, a Guardians of the Galaxy movie is currently planned to be released in 2014
http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/07/04/marvels-guardians-of-the-galaxy-to-be-released-august-1st-2014/

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Lizardon said:
Bobic said:
Well I can understa. . .

If I'm not mistaken, that is Rocket Raccoon. He was captain of a star ship with his first mate Wal Russ (a talking walrus) who where both genetically manipulated to grant them human level intelligence, and is a member of the Guardians of Galaxy.

And he will probably be in a movie, a Guardians of the Galaxy movie is currently planned to be released in 2014
http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/07/04/marvels-guardians-of-the-galaxy-to-be-released-august-1st-2014/
That is so damned awesome. I can't wait 'til 2014 now. Thanks dude.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
inb4 COMICS ARE WEIRD! (Fact: They are)

See, I want to like comic books. I really do. But I don't think I can keep up with all of those convoluted and nonsensical storylines. Hell, I can barely understand Zelda's plot or KH's plot. No way I'd understand that. And if I do end up liking A plot, chances are it will either be deleted, a dream or an alternate reality. So it's all a lie.

So no thanks.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Loop Stricken said:
Why does the Hulk have armour?

WHY DOES THE HULK HAVE ARMOUR?!
Because he is a ruler of a planet now, as far as I remember. You can't be representative of your goverment wearing rags, right?

OT: I hope this will not result in changing the existing characters instead of making new ones. Oh, you want a superhero, that represents minority. OK! Which one of the existing should we change? Oh, you want a NEW character? Um... Well... Black and gay Captain America? How about that? Huh? HUH?