Marvel's Luke Cage Has Been Cast

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Marvel's Luke Cage Has Been Cast

We have our Power Man. Now if this show can just be good.

After months of fan-casting, recent rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138696-Halo-Nightfall-Star-Being-Considered-For-Marvels-Luke-Cage-Netflix-Series] have turned out to be true: Marvel has announced today that Halo: Nightfall actor Mike Colter has been cast as Luke Cage in the studio's Netflix-based cinematic universe.

Colter will make his debut as Power Man on AKA Jessica Jones, the upcoming series staring Krysten Ritter as the former superhero-turned-private detective. As the official press release puts it, "During the course of an investigation in New York City, private investigator Jessica Jones encounters the enigmatic Luke Cage - a man whose past has secrets that will dramatically alter Jessica in ways she could never have imagined."

Spoiler alert:

In the comics, they get married. Looks to me like the show probably intends a romantic arc for the two as well.

Anyway, AKA Jessica Jones will launch on Netflix in 2015 sometime after Daredevil. Luke Cage will then be spun off into his own still-untitled Netflix show. Feel free to discuss this news and how it makes Christmas even better, in comments.

The full press release follows:

Marvel and Netflix are proud to announce that Mike Colter will star as Luke Cage in "Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones," an all-new 13-episode series premiering on Netflix in 2015 following "Marvel's Daredevil."

During the course of an investigation in New York City, private investigator Jessica Jones encounters the enigmatic Luke Cage - a man whose past has secrets that will dramatically alter Jessica in ways she could never have imagined.

Colter will star opposite Krysten Ritter, who plays the title role in "Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones."

"Mike embodies the strength, edge and depth of Luke Cage," said Executive Producer/Showrunner Melissa Rosenberg. "We're excited to have him bring this iconic Marvel character to life."

"Fans have longed to see Luke Cage and in Mike we've found the perfect actor," said Jeph Loeb, Executive Producer/Marvel's Head of Television. "Viewers will get to meet Luke Cage in 'Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones,' and experience why he is such an important super hero in the Marvel mythos."

Colter is currently starring in the XBox original series "Halo: Nightfall" as Jameson Locke. He has appeared in a number of critically-acclaimed television series, including "The Good Wife" and "American Horror Story: Coven."

After a tragic ending to her short-lived super hero stint, Jessica Jones is rebuilding her personal life and career as a detective who gets pulled into cases involving people with extraordinary abilities in New York City.

"Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones" is produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Studios for Netflix.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Well that certainly isn't Isaiah Mustafa. Color me a little disappointed.

P.S. Thanks

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
Lemond Bishop as Luke Cage? Yes, please. Dude is fantastic in "The Good Wife".

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I hope this does reasonably well. I just don't know how well these series will actually do on Netflix.

Edit: I would love to check these out, but I don't use Netflix. I just use Amazon Instant video since I'm a prime member anyway.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
I'll definitely watch it, but I was hoping for Michael Jai White. I'm really interested how these netflix hero series are gonna turn out.

Matt 'Panda' Tom

Mar 30, 2010
Am I the only one that hopes the romance arc between Cage and Jones happens at break neck speed so they have a kid and hire Squirrel Girl as a nanny as soon as possible?

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
No really surprised about this one.
He'll do a fine job too I bet.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I wonder if Isaiah Mustafa (Old Spice guy) is sad about this news seeing how he really wanted that role. None the less I admit I can see Mike being Luke Cage more than Isaiah.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Color me interested. The Jessica Jones comic is one of the best comics I've ever read.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
EDIT: Well I was put in the knowledge that the Black Panther stuff is already planned, so what I had written at first mostly make no sense now.

Hopefully Mustafa will be able to get Black Panther role instead, if Cage prove popular enough, which might fit him better, at least on the physical part, due to Black Panther been slander then Luke Cage. Unless they are willing to go with an African actor for the role.

Only thing I might see causing problem to having Black Panther, is the condition of the X-Men license, which prevent them from using Storm.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
iniudan said:
Hopefully Mustafa will be able to get Black Panther role instead, if Cage prove popular enough, which might fit him better, at least on the physical part, due to Black Panther been slander then Luke Cage. Unless they are willing to go with an African actor for the role.

Only thing I might see causing problem to having Black Panther, is the condition of the X-Men license, which prevent them from using Storm.
Ummm... you do realize Chadwick Boseman was announced to have been cast as Black Panther way back in October, right???

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
WarpedLord said:
iniudan said:

Ummm... you do realize Chadwick Boseman was announced to have been cast as Black Panther way back in October, right???
Nope, I hadn't realized that Black Panther movie and the title character were already announced. But thank for informing me.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
I won't go so far as to say that I'm disappointed by the news of Colter getting the role but I was really hoping against hope that Marvel would pick Terry Crews for the part.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I'm unfamiliar with the actor but he looks the part, I'm looking forward to this and all the Netflix series.

I think Mack from AOS would have been a perfect Luke Cage just on looks, build and screen presence but that can't happen obviously.