Marvel's Post-Secret Wars Comic Line-Up Revealed

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Marvel's Post-Secret Wars Comic Line-Up Revealed

Marvel will be following up on Secret Wars with the launch/relaunch of 45 comic series beginning this October.

As most of you probably already know, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/marvel>Marvel Comics is currently in the midst of one of the biggest universe upheavals in recent memory. While its <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/14151-Celebrate-Secret-Wars-With-Marvel-Fan-Art>Secret Wars event is still currently ongoing, the mini-series has already seen the destruction of both Marvel's 616 and Ultimate universes. We've known for some time now that the end of intention of this move was to eventually combine the two continuities into one big new universe where everyone's favorite Marvel characters could live and play together. Hoping to give retailers a peek at that new universe, the publisher recently shipped a preview book to stores containing information about what its new line-up would contain. As you can imagine, it took all of five minutes for that info to hit the internet.

What this means, put shortly, is that we now know what comics Marvel intends to launch alongside its post-Secret Wars <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140249-Miles-Morales-Revealed-as-Member-of-All-New-All-Different-Avengers>"All-New, All-Different" universe. According to the information, the publisher will be revamping its lineup with a whopping 45 new books, most of which will be starting about eight months after the events of Secret Wars. If the taglines and cover art for these comics are any indicator, the company intends to use that gap to set up some big changes to some of its teams and characters including things like a pregnant Spider-Woman and a new Guardians of the Galaxy line-up that includes the Thing.

The full list of planned comics, along with their taglines, can be found below:
[gallery=4372]

Invincible Iron Man #1
W: Brian Michael Bendis A: David Marquez
"Upgrade."

A-Force #1
W: G. Willow Wilson CA: Victor Ibanez
"A-Force to be reckoned with..."

All-New All-Different Avengers #1
W: Mark Waid A: Adam Kubert, Mahmud Asrar CA: Alex Ross
"Earth's mightiest most dedicated heroes."

Uncanny Avengers #1
W: Gerry Duggan A: Ryan Stegman
"Fighting for Humanity, Inhumanity, Mutants...and Deadpool"

New Avengers #1
W: Al Ewing A: Gerardo Sandoval
"Avengers Idea Mechanics. We A.I.M. To Help."

Ultimates #1
W: Al Ewing A: Kenneth Rocafort
"Ultimate problems need Ultimate solutions."

Doctor Strange #1
W: Jason Aaron A: Chris Bachalo
"Some surgery requires a scalpel - some, an axe."

Captain Marvel #1
W: Tara Butters & Michele Fazekas A: Kris Anka
"Captain Marvel rises."

Sam Wilson, Captain America #1
W: Nick Spencer A: Daniel Acuña
"Who do you stand with?"

The Totally Awesome Hulk #1
W: Greg Pak A: Frank Cho
"Who is the Hulk?"

The Mighty Thor #1
W: Jason Aaron A: Russell Dauterman
"The flash may be weak but the thunder is strong."

Scarlet Witch #1
W: James Robinson A: Kevin Wada
"Seeing red..."

Ms. Marvel #1
W: G. Willow Wilson A: Takeshi Miyazawa & Adrian Alphona CA: Takeshi Miyazawa
"CRUSHED IT."

Illuminati #1
W: Josh Williamson A: Shawn CA: Riley Rossmo
"Forever evil."

Hawkeye #1
W: Jeff Lemire A: Ramon Perez
"Hawkeye vs. Hawkeye"

Ant-Man #1
W: Nick Spencer A: Ramon Rosanas CA: Mark Brooks
"Once a criminal...?"

The Vision #1
W: Tom King A: Gabriel H. Walta CA: Marcos Martin
"A bold new Vision for the Marvel Universe."

Contest of Champions #1
W: Al Ewing A: Paco Medina
"When heroes gather..."

Amazing Spider-Man #1
W: Dan Slott A: Giuseppe Camuncoli CA: Alex Ross
"Your friendly neighborhood just got bigger."

Carnage #1
W: Gerry Conway A: Mike Perkins CA: Mike Del Mundo
"Descent into madness..."

Spider-Woman #1
W: Dennis Hopeless A: Javier Rodriguez
"Parent by day. Hero by night."

Spider-Man #1
W: Brian Michael Bendis A: Sara Pichelli
"Welcome to the Marvel Universe, Miles Morales. Hope you survive the experience!"

Spider-Gwen #1
W: Jason Latour A: Robbi Rodriguez
"The Secret History of Gwen Stacy and Peter Parker!"

Silk #1
W: Robbie Thompson A: Stacey Lee CA: Helen Chen
"The Sinister Silk"

Spider-Man 2099 #1
W: Peter David A: Will Sliney CA: Francesco Mattina
"Smack to the future."

Web Warriors #1
W: Mike Costa A: David Bildeon CA: Juian Totino Tedesco
"Defending the Spider-Verse"

Daredevil #1
W: Charles Soule A: Ron Garney
"The devil's apprentice"

Guardians of the Galaxy #1
W: Brian Michael Bendis A: Valerio Schiti
"The raccoon's in charge."

Drax #1
W: CM Punk with Cullen Bunn CA: Ed McGuinness
"Best in the galaxy"

Howard the Duck #1
W: Chip Zdarsky A: Joe Quinones
"Howard, uh, gets a new hat..."

Nova #1
W: Sean Ryan A: Cory Smith CA: Humberto Ramos
"The family business..."

Star-Lord #1
W: Sam Humphries A: Dave Johnson
"Feels like the first time. Feels like the very first time."

Venom: Spaceknight #1
W: Robbie Thompson A: Ariel Olivetti
"Sometimes a hero needs a little space..."

Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1
W: Frank Barbiere A: Brent Schoonover
"To fight the monsters of the world...We need the monsters of the night!"

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1
W: Marc Guggenheim A: Mike Norton
"Keeps your friends close and your enemies closer."

Uncanny Inhumans #1
W: Charles Soule A: Steve McNiven
"The silence is broken."

Karnak #1
W: Warren Ellis A: Gerardo Zaffino CA: David Aja
"The flaw in all things"

Angela: Asgard's Assassin #1
W: Marguerite Bennett A: Kim Jacinto & Stephanie Hans CA: Julian Totino Tedesco
"Hel hath a new fury."

Squadron Supreme #1
W: James Robinson A: Leonard Kirk CA: Alex Ross
"Sole survivors of their own worlds, they'll do ANYTHING to protect this one."

Extraordinary X-Men #1
W: Jeff Lemire A: Humberto Ramos
"Still hated. Still feared. Still standing."

Uncanny X-Men #1
W: Cullen Bunn A: Greg Land
"Bigger threats require more threatening X-Men."

All-New X-Men #1
W: Dennis Hopeless A: Mark Bagley
"On a mission to make their own future"

Old Man Logan #1
W: Jeff Lemire A: Andrea Sorrentino
"Older. Wiser. Sharper."

All-New Wolverine #1
W: Tom Taylor A: David Lopez
"Best there is at what she does"

Deadpool #1
W: Gerry Duggan A: Mike Hawthorne CA: Tony Moore
"More Deadpool than you wanted"

[gallery=4373]
What remains to be seen, of course, is how Marvel fans respond to the shake-ups and changes that Marvel has planned. Then again, even if a few of these series wind up being duds, we're pretty sure comic readers will be able to find a few things they like out of 45 different ongoing series. Marvel's post-Secret Wars lineup will start hitting comic stores later this year in October. To see a full collection of the 45 comic covers, <a href=http://imgur.com/a/FOJ0Y>head here.

Source: <a href=http://io9.com/marvel-just-revealed-its-entire-all-new-all-different-1714899675>io9

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Certainly looks interesting, and I can help but wonder if the All-New All Different Avengers is a foreshadowing of how our MCU Avengers may look by the time or, or post Infinity War.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Psyched that Karnak gets his own series, I f*cking love that dude.

And a little baffled why Star-Lords now a woman in the Guardians cover... I mean, maybe it's just me, but the books where they create new or refine existing female characters rather than genderswap existing ones are usually way better. Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel are both excellent, Thor not-so-much. I mean... Marvel's doing good for having wider female starring comics, it seems bizarre they also keep doing the less effective and more aggravating version of genderswapping.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong, maybe it'll be awesome, I don't exactly have the same doubts about X-23 as Wolverine (though might about Amadeus Cho as Hulk, no matter how awesome having Maestro around is)

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
-Ezio- said:
no unbeatable squirrel girl? that's disapointing.
The sales on that book were terrible. After the preorders ran out, it barely managed to reach 20k issues sold and was dropping fast.

Not surprised actually. The plot-lines and writing were cringe inducing and the art... oh god the art... it doesn't even do justice to the phrase "tumblr-tier".

As for this "new" lineup...

No thanks. I'm still not coming back to Marvel comics. Daredevil was the last Marvel title I was still buying and now that Waid and Samnee are off that book, I have zero interest in it.

Also, Spider-Gwen and bringing Miles Morales into the main continuity are both offensive as hell to me. It's like the ridiculous explosion of "Bat-family" characters we saw in the 80's and 90's. What's next? Spider-mite?

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Jake Martinez said:
Also, Spider-Gwen and bringing Miles Morales into the main continuity are both offensive as hell to me. It's like the ridiculous explosion of "Bat-family" characters we saw in the 80's and 90's. What's next? Spider-mite?
You think this is bad? Seems like someone doesn't remember the Clone saga...

As far as I know, Gwen's just going to be commuting from her own reality, and Miles is a resident. Which works since Peter is now going a vaguely Ironman route, so Miles is now the street level and Peter is no longer pretending he isn't a big deal.

>.> I got nothing for Silk, she kinda feels like Bargain Bucket Spider-Woman; but maybe the new series will do something different.

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
They should give up on tag lines; the best ones are mediocre... most are just painful.

I see Laura is still hanging around with the fan fiction gang... at least it's not written by that hack Bendis anymore.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
You know, it may not seem like it from inside, but this is the reason I don't follow comics closely anymore. It was bad enough that Marvel and DC used to do these big events that carried over through like 30 comics, but it seems like nowadays, the "reality-shaking" crossover is becoming the status quo. Seems like there's a new one every couple of years. That's not enough time for me to get invested in a title, especially since I read almost exclusively from trades these days.

CaptainMarvelous said:
You think this is bad? Seems like someone doesn't remember the Clone saga...
All five hundred of them.

-Ezio- said:
no unbeatable squirrel girl? that's disapointing.
Seems hard to make that an ongoing comic.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
CaptainMarvelous said:

And a little baffled why Star-Lords now a woman in the Guardians cover... I mean, maybe it's just me, but the books where they create new or refine existing female characters rather than genderswap existing ones are usually way better. Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel are both excellent, Thor not-so-much. I mean... Marvel's doing good for having wider female starring comics, it seems bizarre they also keep doing the less effective and more aggravating version of genderswapping.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong, maybe it'll be awesome, I don't exactly have the same doubts about X-23 as Wolverine (though might about Amadeus Cho as Hulk, no matter how awesome having Maestro around is)
Well the whole thing about Starlord is that it's just Peter Quill's title, it means Space Cop. It's just like them having a Female Nova. It's their job not their name.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
So long as Ms. Marvel remains relatively the same, I'm happy.
I'll probably look in to some of these, but I'm a filthy trade-waiter.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
So, I'm no expert on comics. But if I'm correct, I should pretty much just take my entire collection of Marvel comics including; Annihilation, Planet Hulk, World War Hulk, Deadpool Ultimate Collection, Reign of Kings, and a lot more and just burn them in my back yard? Everything I'm reading in these new comics will be completely new?

Now onto the comics that look awesome!

Carnage
Ultimates
Spiderman 2099
Web Warriors
All New Wolverine(Shitty name, but female Wolverine!)
Star Lord
Guardians of the Galaxy(With Star Lady)
Drax
Angela: Asgard's Assassin
The Squadron Supreme
The Mighty Thor
Contest of Champions
Captain Marvel
The All New, All Different, Avengers(Besides the really shitty and click-bait word choice, the lineup looks solid)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Elfgore said:
So, I'm no expert on comics. But if I'm correct, I should pretty much just take my entire collection of Marvel comics including; Annihilation, Planet Hulk, World War Hulk, Deadpool Ultimate Collection, Reign of Kings, and a lot more and just burn them in my back yard? Everything I'm reading in these new comics will be completely new?
Oh, don't worry about that. Marvel continuity squads will be dispatched to your home to ensure that all your previous material is properly "handled." You don't have to do a thing.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
CaptainMarvelous said:

And is really the best way to show strength to make THE muscle in Marvel a cancer patient as well as being female? If she were gay it would be the PC trifecta. It is its own strength sure, but what it actually does is put a timer on the new Thor - her mortal body is dying so eventually she will be replaced, likely by a man, possibly by Odinson to reestablish the status quo. Sure it will be a big event - another Marvel hero dies from cancer and the hammer is at her bedside. And yes, it's
Jane Foster
. But a clock is ticking nonetheless so it seems almost arbitrary that her death and Odinson's return were likely planned in advance.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Winnosh said:
Well the whole thing about Starlord is that it's just Peter Quill's title, it means Space Cop. It's just like them having a Female Nova. It's their job not their name.
You're quite right, but if they were to do this

a) she should be black since the only other character eligible (as it's a Spartax title) is his half-sister Victoria, who's black.
b) He's still Star-Lord in the ongoing series so it would seem she isn't even inheriting the title
c) It looks like literally a gender-swapped version of Quill.

Of course, this could all be whining over nothing and it ends up being awesome, but its not looking like good plot right now.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
CaptainMarvelous said:
Winnosh said:

a) she should be black since the only other character eligible (as it's a Spartax title) is his half-sister Victoria, who's black.
b) He's still Star-Lord in the ongoing series so it would seem she isn't even inheriting the title

Of course, this could all be whining over nothing and it ends up being awesome, but its not looking like good plot right now.
Wait wait wait? When the hell did Starlord become a Spartax title? Hell the title had nothing to do with his alien heritage before, and was originally offered to an entirely different human that Peter knocked out and took the place of.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Winnosh said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
Winnosh said:

Wait wait wait? When the hell did Starlord become a Spartax title? Hell the title had nothing to do with his alien heritage before, and was originally offered to an entirely different human that Peter knocked out and took the place of.
o_O like... most of the modern run? Bunch of them calls him like "The Star-Lord of Spartax". They haven't did the old dealy with Ship nd the like since Abnett's old run. I might be mis-recalling it but pretty sure that's what they're doing right now.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Ms Marvel still going?
Hells yes!

Spider-Gwen?
Hells yes?

So, yeah, I'm good...for now!