Marvel's Post-Secret Wars Comic Line-Up Revealed

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
I won't lie...
"Fighting for Humanity, Inhumanity, Mutants...and Deadpool"
brought a little bit of a smile to my face.

This, Carnage and some of the other comics should be good, I also look forwards to seeing how they handle Miles Morales in the main universe where Peter Parker also exists. If they write that well then it should be a good ride.

CaptainMarvelous said:
Psyched that Karnak gets his own series, I f*cking love that dude.

And a little baffled why Star-Lords now a woman in the Guardians cover... I mean, maybe it's just me, but the books where they create new or refine existing female characters rather than genderswap existing ones are usually way better. Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel are both excellent, Thor not-so-much. I mean... Marvel's doing good for having wider female starring comics, it seems bizarre they also keep doing the less effective and more aggravating version of genderswapping.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong, maybe it'll be awesome, I don't exactly have the same doubts about X-23 as Wolverine (though might about Amadeus Cho as Hulk, no matter how awesome having Maestro around is)
I honestly have no idea why they go for the genderswap... Even Stan Lee seems to think that it would be better to create new characters rather than just change people... I won't lie though, it's been done really well in places like with Falcon taking the mantle of Captain America and Miles Morales taking the Spiderman mantle, but for every one of them we get a weird thing like Jean Grey just stating that Iceman is gay, the horrible writing and mess that is She Thor, or other nonsense that just feels... Shoved in.

Oh and here's the relevant Stan Lee quotes.
when E! News spoke with the comic book icon. Stan was asked that with the changing social attitudes, would comic book fans see a homosexual superhero in the future?

"There's no reason not to," he replied. "The only thing I don?t like doing is changing the characters we already have. For example, I?d like Spider-Man to stay as he is, but I have no problem creating a superhero who's homosexual."
"I have no problem with having a black [superhero,] a Latino one, a Chinese one, anything-the whole world is our playground," said Stan, adding that "the whole world has heroes we can draw from. I'm just not too happy changing what has already been established."
http://www.eonline.com/news/671811/stan-lee-spider-man-shouldn-t-be-gay-or-black

http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/06/30/stan-lee-spider-man-creator-explains-why-sony-agreement-white-straight/

EDIT: Seems like I jumped the gun, Kitty Pride Starlord could be great since I already like Kitty as a character.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
vallorn said:
I won't lie...
"Fighting for Humanity, Inhumanity, Mutants...and Deadpool"
brought a little bit of a smile to my face.

I would ask for context but I feel like it would make less sense with it.

This, Carnage and some of the other comics should be good, I also look forwards to seeing how they handle Miles Morales in the main universe where Peter Parker also exists. If they write that well then it should be a good ride.
Miles Morales is one of the first comic series I've read and I loved it. I haven't been able to keep up with the character because money(the main reason I haven't been able to really get into comics sadly) but I hope this series manages to be good and sell well. I'm just curious how they're going to fit him into continuity.

CaptainMarvelous said:

And a little baffled why Star-Lords now a woman in the Guardians cover... I mean, maybe it's just me, but the books where they create new or refine existing female characters rather than genderswap existing ones are usually way better. Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel are both excellent, Thor not-so-much. I mean... Marvel's doing good for having wider female starring comics, it seems bizarre they also keep doing the less effective and more aggravating version of genderswapping.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong, maybe it'll be awesome, I don't exactly have the same doubts about X-23 as Wolverine (though might about Amadeus Cho as Hulk, no matter how awesome having Maestro around is)
I honestly have no idea why they go for the genderswap... Even Stan Lee seems to think that it would be better to create new characters rather than just change people... I won't lie though, it's been done really well in places like with Falcon taking the mantle of Captain America and Miles Morales taking the Spiderman mantle, but for every one of them we get a weird thing like Jean Grey just stating that Iceman is gay, the horrible writing and mess that is She Thor, or other nonsense that just feels... Shoved in.

Oh and here's the relevant Stan Lee quotes.
when E! News spoke with the comic book icon. Stan was asked that with the changing social attitudes, would comic book fans see a homosexual superhero in the future?

"There's no reason not to," he replied. "The only thing I don?t like doing is changing the characters we already have. For example, I?d like Spider-Man to stay as he is, but I have no problem creating a superhero who's homosexual."
"I have no problem with having a black [superhero,] a Latino one, a Chinese one, anything-the whole world is our playground," said Stan, adding that "the whole world has heroes we can draw from. I'm just not too happy changing what has already been established."
http://www.eonline.com/news/671811/stan-lee-spider-man-shouldn-t-be-gay-or-black

http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/06/30/stan-lee-spider-man-creator-explains-why-sony-agreement-white-straight/

EDIT: Seems like I jumped the gun, Kitty Pride Starlord could be great since I already like Kitty as a character.
it all depends on context and how well it's done. Comic book characters have been trading there identities to other people for years is just usually been another white person. it just depends how good the writing is because knowing comics it's going to be back to the status quo in a few years.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
The only REAL problem I see with any of this is that nasty mullet that Parker is sporting.

Yikes!

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Metalix Knightmare said:
A pregnant superhero? Yeah, that's not gonna result in shaken baby syndrome while still in the womb AT BEST!
Yeah, that's roughly what I was thinking too. They're going to have to be careful how they handle it.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Yawn. I could take this more seriously if Marvel didn't have a long standing tradition of being as faithful to their story arcs as ....someone who is.. not very faithful....

Switched to Manga a long time ago and I gotta say, I do enjoy havingstories that aren't more retconns than plots.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
CaptainMarvelous said:

I think you're right regarding x-23 as wolverine.
She's a good choice for the name and role, plus then we get to have our Old man logan cake and eat it.
Quite interested in Old Man Logan if it can avoid just turning into the old wolverine comic.

I was considering Cho for the Hulk too, given the title.
The idea of him having to face the Maestro could work nicely though that particular bad guy seems to be off playing with an all green gem infinity gauntlet alike in some other title.
I don't know who's writing TAH for the moment, but given how much fun I had with the Incredible Herc run, I'm willing to give them a chance to find their legs with any drastic changes they try.

Tempted to jump on for Uncanny Avengers just for the 'pool.

Not sold on Amazing Spiderman route.
Hi tech globetrotter is a development for peter, which is something we needed to see rather than him being reset back into aunt may's basement, but I have some doubts.

Very likely going to pick up Ultimates as I'm a sucker for comics with Monica, though nothing has quite lived up to Nextwave.

That seems to be about it from the list that appeals though.
Venom spaceknight nearly grabbed me, but I realized it was just nostalgia for ROM and nothing more.

All this said, I think I'm going to miss the setting of BattleWorld.
The political vying between the various Baronies and realms is a lot of fun.
I can't say for sure it wouldn't outstay it's welcome in the long term, but it's been entertaining thus far.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Wait, so Ms. Marvel is getting reworked/rebooted again? But it's still Kamala as Ms. Marvel, but we're back to issue one?

Comics, you make me confuse.

regalphantom

Feb 10, 2011
tf2godz said:
vallorn said:
Basically, one day Deadpool has this stream of logic.

P1. X-Men are mutant superheroes
P2. I am a superhero(sorta)
P3. I got my super powers from experimentation involving a mutant
C1. By P3, I am a mutant
C2. By P2 and C1, I am a mutant superhero, therefore I am an X-Man
C3. By C2, I am an X-Man, therefore I need an X-Man costume
C4. By C3, I need an X-Man costume, therefore I will prance around in Marvel Girl's old costume.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
regalphantom said:
tf2godz said:
Basically, one day Deadpool has this stream of logic.

P1. X-Men are mutant superheroes
P2. I am a superhero(sorta)
P3. I got my super powers from experimentation involving a mutant
C1. By P3, I am a mutant
C2. By P2 and C1, I am a mutant superhero, therefore I am an X-Man
C3. By C2, I am an X-Man, therefore I need an X-Man costume
C4. By C3, I need an X-Man costume, therefore I will prance around in Marvel Girl's old costume.

yeah, that sounds like him.

CommanderZx2

Dec 13, 2014
So 'All New, All Different' essentially means no differences except for an excessive amount of Spider characters and a bunch of really lazy gender / race swap characters.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
The lack of Unbeatable Squirrel Girl makes me a sad panda.

Not thrilled to see Sam Alexander's Nova coming back either. I miss Richard Rider, but no matter how poorly Sam's book sold in comparison to Rich's, they just gotta keep pushing him instead...

Not sure what to think about Spider-Woman being pregnant. I mean, Julia Carpenter's Spider-Woman is ALREADY a single mother. So Marvel has had TWO Spider-Women have children and raise families, but won't let Peter. Makes sense...

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
What, no new Hercules book?! Boo! That said, the tag line for Vision is a money line. Also, really, CM Punk? I'm laughing at the tag line, but I can't help feeling I know that line from somewhere.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Squirrel girl needs a genderswap. She's been female far too long!
undeadsuitor said:
vallorn said:
I honestly have no idea why they go for the genderswap... Even Stan Lee seems to think that it would be better to create new characters rather than just change people..
That's an easy question, and it's the same reason why Spiderman can't get married, Superman never develops, old villains keep reappearing and plots keep repeating themselves.

Nerds are creatures of habit and comfort. And the comic book industry is on a thin line as far as profits go.

When you make a character that has a solid connection/name to an existing character nerds love (ie, Thor/Marvel/Star Lord) there's a built in fan base that's going to buy the comic no matter what BECAUSE it has that name.

Creating a character whole cloth is an uphill battle with hardcore fans, it's the same reason we're on our like...20th Spiderman movie. Bean Counters are lazy and nerds are specific in what they like (and it's specifically "stuff they've seen before" )
I'm pretty sure almost every hardcore fan would prefer new characters or instead of identity politics changing established main characters. Most recently there's been a call for a black Magneto. [http://www.salon.com/2015/06/06/its_time_for_marvel_to_make_magneto_black_use_the_coming_secret_wars_reboot_to_make_x_men_get_real_about_race/]

JennAnge

May 15, 2012
Holy hell in a hand basket that's a lotta titles.

Though it seems to boil down to Spider-books, X-books, Wolverine-books, Deadpool-books, Let's-make-money-off-the-movies-books and a few books loosely classified as Other.

Every time I feel like I want to get into comics again (having left, screaming, in the nineties along with a lot of other readers) I see a list like this and I think: why bother. I could pick up a few titles here and there, the few I like, and stick with them, sure. But I'll have this constant foreboding - born of past experience - that pretty damn soon, in six months or so, say, all the Spider-books, X-books etc will start doing cross overs with one another. Juuuust to see if they can tease a few more readers of one book into buying the cousin titles. Forcing me to trawl through wiki to get the barest level of wtf-is-going-on understanding. Then six months after that, they'll be a universe-wide crossover event thingie in which Marvel can cull the herd of the weaker, underselling titles as flamboyantly as possible in the name of Gritty Drama.

Guess I'll stick with Saga, indies and webcomics.

...They actually called a book 'All-New All-Different Avengers'? In a universe-wide reboot? Have the Marvel Marketing department ripped out the dictionary page with 'Subtle' on it to use as scrap paper on which to scribble out more ways of putting the letter X into a title? Well, I guess it does exactly what it says on the tin (one would hope, it'd be even more ironic if it was same old, same old).

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
I know an unsustainable business plan when I see one. The industry can't keep pumping out the "New", "Different", "Death of", "Return of" and the reboots to make a new #1. There is something in the comics industry called reader drop off where the aforementioned issues sees a spike in readers and then drops off after the 3rd or 4th issue. DC is the worst offender of this having Flashpoint and then Convergence within 4 years of each other.

There is going to be 55-60 titles relaunched with first issues, it's going to alienate the older readers who have to start back at #1 and new readers are fickle, they taste but don't stay directly contributing to the drop off, just look around comment sections anywhere. This is a bubble, it's going to burst.

Also that Spider-Woman art looks like it was taken from Deviant Art, I don't expect that to sell at all.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Well I just thought of an appallingly offensive update of the "Stuffed in a Fridge" trope based on that picture.

Nurb said:
Squirrel girl needs a genderswap. She's been female far too long!
undeadsuitor said:
vallorn said:
I honestly have no idea why they go for the genderswap... Even Stan Lee seems to think that it would be better to create new characters rather than just change people..
That's an easy question, and it's the same reason why Spiderman can't get married, Superman never develops, old villains keep reappearing and plots keep repeating themselves.

Nerds are creatures of habit and comfort. And the comic book industry is on a thin line as far as profits go.

When you make a character that has a solid connection/name to an existing character nerds love (ie, Thor/Marvel/Star Lord) there's a built in fan base that's going to buy the comic no matter what BECAUSE it has that name.

Creating a character whole cloth is an uphill battle with hardcore fans, it's the same reason we're on our like...20th Spiderman movie. Bean Counters are lazy and nerds are specific in what they like (and it's specifically "stuff they've seen before" )
I'm pretty sure almost every hardcore fan would prefer new characters or instead of identity politics changing established main characters. Most recently there's been a call for a black Magneto. [http://www.salon.com/2015/06/06/its_time_for_marvel_to_make_magneto_black_use_the_coming_secret_wars_reboot_to_make_x_men_get_real_about_race/]
"People still haven't realized that discrimination against minorities is bad! We need to shake things up and make Magneto black and part of the Civil Rights Movement!"

"But he's a Jewish victim of the Holocaust, the single most atrocious breach of civil rights in human history: surely that's the perfect backstory for this iconic and tragic villain?"

"Not good enough! Him being bestest friends foreverest with Martin Luthor King, only to see his murder is so much better! Then we just get all our other Jewish characters and make them talk about their Jewishness as much as possible to keep the diversity!"

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Thinking about it, I realized just how idiotic the wolverine cover is.

Sure, it's a cute homage if you get it, but it's so out of character it's worrying to the x-23 fans, misleading to any new fans, and reinforces the negative misconception to the public at large that Laura is just a second rate copy of Logan.

It manages to alienate everyone.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
CaptainMarvelous said:
Winnosh said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
Winnosh said:
Well the whole thing about Starlord is that it's just Peter Quill's title, it means Space Cop. It's just like them having a Female Nova. It's their job not their name.
You're quite right, but if they were to do this

a) she should be black since the only other character eligible (as it's a Spartax title) is his half-sister Victoria, who's black.
b) He's still Star-Lord in the ongoing series so it would seem she isn't even inheriting the title
c) It looks like literally a gender-swapped version of Quill.

Of course, this could all be whining over nothing and it ends up being awesome, but its not looking like good plot right now.
Wait wait wait? When the hell did Starlord become a Spartax title? Hell the title had nothing to do with his alien heritage before, and was originally offered to an entirely different human that Peter knocked out and took the place of.
o_O like... most of the modern run? Bunch of them calls him like "The Star-Lord of Spartax". They haven't did the old dealy with Ship and the like since Abnett's old run. I might be mis-recalling it but pretty sure that's what they're doing right now.
Carnage #1 Decent into madness.[i/]: ?All aboard the crazy train! ?

Amazing Spiderman #1 Your friendly neighborhood just got bigger[i/]: Spiderman James Bond/Iron Man. About time Peter enjoyed the benefits of his work. I?m really digging the more tech look of his costume.

Web Warriors #1 [Defending the universe.]: Hmm?curious. A Spiderman team book. With Spideys I like no less.

All New Xmen #1 [On a mission to make their future.] A female Wolvy? I wonder if it?s Laura(X-23)? Beast looks human again. Good for him.

Spiderman #1 Welcome to the Marvel Universe, Miles Morales. Hope you survive the experience!: So do I.

Old Man Logan #1 Older. Wiser. Sharper.: Cynical. Tired. Likely happy to see fellow heroes alive again. Curious. Western feel. Might check out, if only to see how Wolvy of ?92 reacts to seeing his old man counterpart.

Illuminati #1 [i/]Forever evil.
: Could be better than DC?S Forever Evil. =)

Who is Karnak?

Silk #1 The Sinister Silk: I got a bad feeling about this?

Spiderman 2099 #1: I wonder if Comicisland or Comicstorian are going to recap these when they come out?

Ms. Marvel's an Avenger now? Cool.