Marvel's Post-Secret Wars Comic Line-Up Revealed

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
ArcaneGamer said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
-further snip-
I have no idea why you quoted me buddy, but if you're asking about Karnak

He's one of the Inhumans and, unusually, one of the only ones not to have undergone Terrigenesis since his brother Triton came out as a fishman. Instead, he trained in Martial Arts and is probably at the same rough level as Iron Fist and Shang-Chi but with the added bonus of Inhuman strength, speed and stamina.
BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!
Karnak also has the innate ability to see the faults in things and this can be used either conventionally (breaking a wall with one punch to the critical point) or more uniquely (saying exactly what you need to to get someone to break down in tears). Essentially, dude can see the best way to break something and the potential flaw in everything.

He doesn't have a plan for everything, but he knows what the one hole in the opponent's plan is. So he's kind of the Anti-Batman.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Nazrel said:
Thinking about it, I realized just how idiotic the wolverine cover is.

Sure, it's a cute homage if you get it, but it's so out of character it's worrying to the x-23 fans, misleading to any new fans, and reinforces the negative misconception to the public at large that Laura is just a second rate copy of Logan.

It manages to alienate everyone.
Honestly, calling X-23 the "New Wolverine" and putting her in his costume really annoyed me straight off the bat. I mean, really, it's just more stupid gender bending for the sake of it on Marvel's behalf. She's already a character with an established set of powers, there's no need to do this unless they think it's the only way that people will buy the book (maybe it really is just pandering to people who like this kind of tired shit?)

Personally I don't like her as a character very much (or Daken either, in fact one of my favorite story lines in recent years was the Franken-Castle mini that they did where Frank beats the living shit out of Daken), but your point about her coming off as a second rate Wolverine is absolutely spot on. They are not doing the character any favors here. Hell, I think Rick Remender put these words into Frank's mouth in regards to Daken in that story arc I was talking about which pretty much sums up my feelings:

Frank: ?All that big talk back there. What a failure I am.?

Daken: ?Got to you, did it??

Frank: ?Funny is all. Coming from you.?

Daken: ?From me it?s funny, huh? Why?s that??

Frank: ?Reputation coattail rider, dressed up like someone else, lecturing me about compensation. I built my reputation. Ground up. You? Snuck into the show on another man?s back. You?re just a poser.?

I can't help but think that maybe this was some meta-commentary by Remender on Marvel's exploitation of Wolverine.

Fairly Chaotic

Jun 18, 2014
I like that x-23 is getting her on series but I wish the creators that be had given the character her own design instead of putting her in Logan's classic (2nd, can't beat the piss-yellow and brown that was the 1st) yellow and blue. She's already an established character but to me this feels like slapping a male identity onto a female like they did with new Thor. I would have been happy if it was simply titled "X-23" with her own unique design. If your response to that is, "Maybe most people aren't familiar with X-23 and this is an easy way to re-introduce her," I'd counter with saying that the marvel writers need to follow the example of their Disney masters and act boldly with pre-established characters and content. The Guardians of the Galaxy movie is an awesome example of this.

To get back to my point, X-23 already has her own identity. The character doesn't need Logan's slapped all over it.

Nurb said:
Squirrel girl needs a genderswap. She's been female far too long!
I'm pretty sure almost every hardcore fan would prefer new characters or instead of identity politics changing established main characters. Most recently there's been a call for a black Magneto. [http://www.salon.com/2015/06/06/its_time_for_marvel_to_make_magneto_black_use_the_coming_secret_wars_reboot_to_make_x_men_get_real_about_race/]
Thanks for the laugh from your first line and I whole heartily agree with your last line. Frak identity politics.

One last thing: there are too many spider-folks. I wish Peter and MJ were still married and had their daughter May Day. Have Peter lose his powers and stick to being one of the brains of the Marvel verse while May Day gets the powers. Introduce Miles after that and stop right there.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I'm having a hard time believing those taglines are for real. Many of them seem like puns someone would make on the internet. Or am I just out of touch in how Marvel markets their stuff?

Also, pregnant superhero? That just seems... bizarre.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
Well I'm not into comics books but the picture got my attention.
A pregnant superhero... well that's interesting. Crime fighting while pregnant does not sound safe for the baby. I am mildly curious how well they handle this.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Pregnant mother running around fighting crime, putting her life and that of her unborn child in danger on a daily basis? That's obviously not going to stir up crap, or be used as emotion-bait for, "Gasp! Is the baby okay?!" more than once.

Somekindofgold

Feb 24, 2015
Great lets throw more earth heroes into Guardians of the Galaxy..because thats what it needed.

I miss DnA's run so much it hurts. Someone please remove Bendis from the writing desk before he does even more damage in his insane obsession with Kitty Pryde.

I want my old Star-Lord back damn it.

I want the war weary, cynical space traveler motivated by his massive guilt and his experience from two cosmic wars that almost tore reality apart. The strategic leader willing to do whatever he has to in order to save the Galaxy. Not the blonde, womanizing Han Solo/John Crichton/Mal Reynolds rip off motivated by his daddy issues and who is regularly belittled and called/showed to be a complete idiot.

(no disrespect to Han Solo, John Crichton or Mal Reynolds, who are all badasses.)

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Elfgore said:
So, I'm no expert on comics. But if I'm correct, I should pretty much just take my entire collection of Marvel comics including; Annihilation, Planet Hulk, World War Hulk, Deadpool Ultimate Collection, Reign of Kings, and a lot more and just burn them in my back yard? Everything I'm reading in these new comics will be completely new?
If they're the variant covers, you can just mail them to me, I'll make sure they're disposed of properly.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Somekindofgold said:
You'll get a shout of agreement from me. When Star Lord first came up in Annihilation and in the Guardians of the Galaxy series that followed, he was perfect. Cynical, sarcastic, and possibly suffering from PTSD. It was great. I've just seen the new guy and I already think I'll hate him.
Jux said:
Elfgore said:
So, I'm no expert on comics. But if I'm correct, I should pretty much just take my entire collection of Marvel comics including; Annihilation, Planet Hulk, World War Hulk, Deadpool Ultimate Collection, Reign of Kings, and a lot more and just burn them in my back yard? Everything I'm reading in these new comics will be completely new?
If they're the variant covers, you can just mail them to me, I'll make sure they're disposed of properly.
You'll have to provide your Marvel Collection Agency badge to get my stuff. I'm not following for that lie again!

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Gee, are they going to introduce a costumed supervillain called Miscarriage to fight the pregnant Spider Woman?

Because if Marvel is going to do the stupid, then you might as well double down on it.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Nurb said:
Most recently there's been a call for a black Magneto. [http://www.salon.com/2015/06/06/its_time_for_marvel_to_make_magneto_black_use_the_coming_secret_wars_reboot_to_make_x_men_get_real_about_race/]
I have to say, the more that articles like these pop up, the more determined I become to ignore critics of comic books/movies/pop culture in general. It's become increasingly clear that the vast majority of them have no fucking clue what they're talking about.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
CaptainMarvelous said:
ArcaneGamer said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
-further snip-
I have no idea why you quoted me buddy, but if you're asking about Karnak

He's one of the Inhumans and, unusually, one of the only ones not to have undergone Terrigenesis since his brother Triton came out as a fishman. Instead, he trained in Martial Arts and is probably at the same rough level as Iron Fist and Shang-Chi but with the added bonus of Inhuman strength, speed and stamina.
BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!
Karnak also has the innate ability to see the faults in things and this can be used either conventionally (breaking a wall with one punch to the critical point) or more uniquely (saying exactly what you need to to get someone to break down in tears). Essentially, dude can see the best way to break something and the potential flaw in everything.

He doesn't have a plan for everything, but he knows what the one hole in the opponent's plan is. So he's kind of the Anti-Batman.
That's pretty cool, any idea who this Blackbolt guy is?

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
OhNoYouDidnt said:
Alar said:
Paradoxrifts said:
I don't know, guys. The tagline "Parent by day, hero by night" suggests to me that Spider-Woman has already given birth by the time her storyline starts, but... ehhh. We'll see, I guess.
If Marvel is going to deliberately misrepresent their storyline to court controversy, they deserve to be ridiculed for it. There is absolutely nothing new about superheroes having and raising children. The end.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
Paradoxrifts said:
OhNoYouDidnt said:
Alar said:
Paradoxrifts said:
I don't know, guys. The tagline "Parent by day, hero by night" suggests to me that Spider-Woman has already given birth by the time her storyline starts, but... ehhh. We'll see, I guess.
If Marvel is going to deliberately misrepresent their storyline to court controversy, they deserve to be ridiculed for it. There is absolutely nothing new about superheroes having and raising children. The end.
I agree, after all, isn't already a sereis out that debuted not that long ago involving a certain web-slinger? Most likely in an attempt to make up for the Eff up that was OMD?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
This is why I can never get invested in comics. The piecemeal narrative is only second to the constant fucking reboots.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
ArcaneGamer said:
o_O I can't tell if your being serious but just in case.

Black Bolt is the King of the Inhumans, most notable for being generally one of the most OP yet rarely deployed characters. His Terrigenesis abilities came out as him controlling electrons which made him strong enough to have a fist fight with the Thing and not do too badly but also gave him a voice that could shatter mountains.

The dude can't speak or make any kind of noise or he unleashes a shockwave that levels forests. This has generally been deployed pretty awesomely and has lead to such highlights as beating an Eternal in a fight. But for obvious reasons, he can't just bust it out all the time or even use his outside voice or he'd annihilate the planet.
(unless your Hickman, then he can apparently shout something and Thanos can walk it off rather than become molecules floating somewhere around alpha centauri.)

He's one of the more fun OP characters because unlike, say, Superman or Sentry or whatever, he actually can't use his ridiculously dangerous power that freely or else... well, everyone dies.

Uncanny Inhumans issue 0 by Charles Soule does a good job of explaining what he's like if you need something to read.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
CaptainMarvelous said:
ArcaneGamer said:
o_O I can't tell if your being serious but just in case.

Black Bolt is the King of the Inhumans, most notable for being generally one of the most OP yet rarely deployed characters. His Terrigenesis abilities came out as him controlling electrons which made him strong enough to have a fist fight with the Thing and not do too badly but also gave him a voice that could shatter mountains.

The dude can't speak or make any kind of noise or he unleashes a shockwave that levels forests. This has generally been deployed pretty awesomely and has lead to such highlights as beating an Eternal in a fight. But for obvious reasons, he can't just bust it out all the time or even use his outside voice or he'd annihilate the planet.
(unless your Hickman, then he can apparently shout something and Thanos can walk it off rather than become molecules floating somewhere around alpha centauri.)

He's one of the more fun OP characters because unlike, say, Superman or Sentry or whatever, he actually can't use his ridiculously dangerous power that freely or else... well, everyone dies.

Uncanny Inhumans issue 0 by Charles Soule does a good job of explaining what he's like if you need something to read.
So you're meaning to me that Blackbolt...is basically a Dragon Born?

fangclaw

Mar 3, 2010
#19 in the gallery, the new avengers a.i.m. cover... who is the chick on the left and why does she not have internal organs?