Mass Effect 2 Insanity Difficulty Achievement Help

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
Zeel said:
Insanity isn't that hard man. Once you pass Horizon, its nothing but cruising from there. Try playing an aggressive vanguard (just shotgun and charge) now that's fun!
He wouldnt be able to get the achievement, without having atleast played Mass Effect 2 once (insanity unlocks after a playthrough).

Poomermon

Aug 26, 2011
Since nobody mentioned sentinel yet it is a super easy class for a more careful player in insanity. Tech armor is insanely good and you just wont die if you play it safe. You can spam warp and overload to strip enemies defences and finish them off with guns.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
In short, you can play anyone but Adept on Insanity - Soldier has firepower, Vanguard and Engineer have powers that can prevent fights (enemies don't spawn if you get too close, and the Combat Drone counts), Infiltrator can ninja his way out of trouble, and Sentinel has so much shielding it's actually stupid.

Just pick what you'd like, and hopefully import from ME 1 - the early parts can give some people trouble, and the extra points to put into abilities can help.

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
Zeel said:
Insanity isn't that hard man. Once you pass Horizon, its nothing but cruising from there. Try playing an aggressive vanguard (just shotgun and charge) now that's fun!
Thas how we do!
Arkley said:
but be aware that the Vanguard is a generally ill-equipped class for playing Insanity.
Bullshit. I played my first run through of ME2 (no save import) and the Vanguard was both the most fun and the most useful class to take out enemies for one reason.

Biotic charge is fucking awesome. Stuns your enemy, gives you a small frame of bullet time and recharges your shield. The last thing is the most significant because it can and will save your ass when you fuck up. The trick is to learn where the nearest cover is and get your timings down. Once you know when an enemy will shoot and when he'll move for cover, you've basically won the game.

Oh, but the reaper parts are annoying as shit. Everyone who says that is right. Still, just do your best not to fuck up on those.

You'll do fine.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Shame on you for rushing, but your plan should work... It will be hard as hell though with a new character.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
As long as you have abilities and ammo that are effective against armor, (because almost every enemy will have armor) Insanity shouldn't be rage inducing. However, I wouldn't really recommend using adept or vanguard, because biotics are mostly ineffective against armor. And If you're a solider I recommend getting the Mattock rifle until you unlock the Revenant, because the Avenger deals piss poor damage and the Vindicator doesn't carry enough ammo. It also wouldn't hurt to get the Geth shotgun either, because that baby can punch through armor in no time.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
T_ConX said:
- Start at lvl 1. If you reuse a lvl 20 from a previous game clear, you'll be in trouble. Enemies scale with your level, but since all your research and weapon upgrades start back at square one in a new game, you'll be greatly outmatched. Starting at level 1 scales back the enemies, and since you get material bonuses from prior runs of ME 1 and 2, you'll have a slight edge at the start.
Haha, really? I did insanity with a lvl 20 character. Awww

OP, here's a few tips I learned though my Insanity play-through:

Don't play as a Soldier - I constantly found myself running out of ammo.

Don't "run" through it - take your time, enemies will mow through your shields easily.

Do take characters with Warp, Incinerate and other shield, armor damaging abilities - they do much more damage than bullets or basic abilities.

Do take command of your squad - the AI is very thick but use them correctly and they will save your ass often and should deal more damage than you. Enemies will target you, you can use that to lure then into traps.

Once you get into the hang of things it won't take very long. It is tedious as fuck though, good luck.

Edit: Oh, and the dlc weapons and armor help a lot

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Get the Cain. Don't argue, just do it. It makes the final part of the Derelict Reaper trivial. Equip it before entering the core room and save. When you enter, quickly take aim and fire, it'll either destroy it outright or take it down to less than a quarter health. If you miss, just reload the save and try again. The less you have to deal with Husks, the better.

Miranda is a god send. +15% damage, plus she comes with Warp and Overload?!

Upgrades. Get them all. Mining is boring, but well worth the tedium in the end. Get them as soon as possible.

Do non-combat side missions for money and a bit of xp as soon as they're available. There's even a couple upgrades that can be found during them.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
T_ConX said:
Punch that reporter in the face!
every time punch her in the face.... can't wait to see what effect that will have on ME3

OT, go for it, my only piece of advice... save, save, save!

Abbo

Jan 20, 2012
The last character i got through the hard parts of a insanity run(horizon and collector ship platforms)Was my soldier that got the max level achievement in me1.
I always import characters from me1 for insanity runs.
This time i took kazumi along + my almost standard hench Miranda, i noticed that i made faster progres then normal using this team.
I always take fire ammo vs organic mobs and electric ammo vs synthetics for soldier.

Miranda: Best henchy imo, she boosts team(most importantly your) damage and health, while having the skills (overload and warp)to make at least a dent in everything.

Kazumi: I know allot of people use her to spam her grenade thing, but i went for and always will go for shadow strike, because of it's decent damage vs every protection, knockdown and ymir distraction function. It that may not be as effective as the stun function the grenade has vs harbringers, but it certainly is good enough to stop most enemy flanking attempts before i regenerate my shield and deal with them.

As an extra skill i took Geth shield this time for the small damage boost. Someone above mentioned that his henchies did more damage then him and the game getting tedious i outdamage my squadmembers always by a huge margin.

Playing the shadowbroker DLC content before horizon makes stuff easier.

DarkNazgul

Sep 29, 2009
Zen Toombs said:
In short, you can play anyone but Adept on Insanity...
Wrong. Playing on Insanity you should be either an Adept or a Sentinel. I breezed through with an adept on Insanity. Just max out heavy singularity and heavy warp and spam them. Enemies never get a shot off at you if you do it right. If you're having trouble take Garrus and Miranda with you for a double overload boost. But it's not even really necessary. If you want to just be invincible get a Sentinel and max Tech armor with regeneration bonus. Either way you're pretty much unstoppable.

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
Im not sure if playing as a old character changes the enemy balance (When i started my Insane play through, i was getting obliterated until i got farther into the game)But you have the benefit of being able to take a perk of a ally you've done stuff for. So i was an Infiltrator, with bonus Samaras Shieldy Thing.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
I think I may have some input for this (Considering I went through Insanity on all classes at least twice each)

First of all, start with a brand new character or import from ME1 so things start at level 1 rather than level 28-30 (Depending on what level you were when you finished)

Pick your favorite class to play (Since they're all viable, the only issue is that Adept needs to focus on Singularity and Warp rather than the other biotic powers)

Make sure to get good cover and to make sure that your squadmates have good positions and that you use their skills effective (I found Mordin for Incinerate and someone with Overload to be great assets)

If you get really stuck then look on youtube for some help (There is a few videos of someone absolutely raping face on insanity with different classes and builds which can be quite helpful for positioning and different skill combinations)

Also have fun :)