Mass Effect 2 question about races

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Eclectic Dreck said:
Given the suits being worn by the team are capable of protecting the crew from space (which is the most hostile known environment for any known form of life), it is safe to assume that they are a sealed system. This means one would simply need to sterilize the outside of the suit and the cleanliness of the ship would be preserved.
Take Miranda or Jacob on any mission that requires a helmet. Then proceed to laugh at their piddly face masks.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
GiantRaven said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
Given the suits being worn by the team are capable of protecting the crew from space (which is the most hostile known environment for any known form of life), it is safe to assume that they are a sealed system. This means one would simply need to sterilize the outside of the suit and the cleanliness of the ship would be preserved.
Take Miranda or Jacob on any mission that requires a helmet. Then proceed to laugh at their piddly face masks.
really, huh, I'll have to google that since I ever use those two

Hap2

May 26, 2010
To answer about the female krogan, you meet one on Tuchanka near the shaman. She has a slightly different voice, and is noticeably smaller (but not by much) than the rest of the krogan there. She says something along the lines that she speaks for the female clan, and all that.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
1. How old do certain species live?
They say that for humans their live expectancy skyrocketed to 160 when they joined the Citadel, the Asari live for 1000 years but that's common knowledge and I read somewhere that Salarian live expectacy is around 40 and I call bullshit on that, if the Asari can live for a thousand years and the salarians are supposedly the most technologically advanced, why haven't they invented some sort of medicine to extend your life?

There is some very basic stuff, biologically, that limits life expectancy. Salarians life expectancy might be harder to circumvent then humans. Or maybe they did have their life expectancy extended to 40 from, say, 30. Arguably, they may not be so afraid of death. Hell, maybe they are so scientifically advanced because the vast majority of there resources go towards sustaining individuals at their peak of productivity.

2. The Raloi.
If you kept up with the Cerberus news you would know that there is a new species around called the Raloi, they are Avian and when they made 1st contact they only just launched their version of Sputnik, so are we going to actually SEE these aliens or is Bioware gonna pull the old bullshit of putting them in pressure suits?

No way to know. They kind of need to throw in real plot hooks, dead ends, and red herrings in order to make the game universe seem vast. It would be interesting, though.

3. How come we didn't see quarians out of their suits on the flotilla?
pretty self explanitory, I mean the Flotilla was designed to be one of the most sterile environments suitable for quarians, and if you talk to an Asari Patriarch one of them says ' I remember when Quarians took off their suits regualrly' so why can't we ask her to describe them?

There is a few reasons for this. One, if your in a sterile operating room, you still wash your hands. A Quarian may be at less risk in the flotilla, but that is not the same as no risk. But more importantly, they do explain this on Tali's loyalty mission (Or at least, give you the information neccisary to draw this conclusion". Quarians lived on a planet where there was a much larger amount of symbiotic relationship, and much fewer parasites and diseases. Because of this, they had significantly weaker immune systems. When they traeled to other worlds, they absolutely needed their suits to protect themselves from hostile organism, but they could still be unsuited in some ships and their home world. Then the Geth kicked them into the flotilla. This caused them to get even weaker immune systems over generations, to the point where being unsuited at any time is a danger to the individuals life.

4. Will we get to see female versions of other species?
the only I can currently think of that we've seen different genders of are humans(obviously) and Quarians(check, the females have slimmer waists), the Asari don't count as they(and from what I've heard, Hanar)are mono-gendered.[/quote]

Well you have Humans and Quarians with both genders. Asari are all female. Rachnai are a hive structure. Geth and Reaper aren't organic. Hanar likely don't have a gender. Alcor you probably couldn't distinguish. Probably the same with Vorcha. We have seen few enough Drell and Yahg that its not weird that they happen to seem male. Krogan keep their females in seclusion to protect them, so we may see them in a very unusual circumstance. That leaves Batarians, Salarians, Turians and Volus. Salarians apperently have females in political positions, so perhaps they just don't travel as much. And as for the rest, well, maybe you just happen to be in dangerous places and places of great political importance, and societal sexism keeps women out of those places. From an evolution perspective, it does make sense to keep women protected and hidden away to an extent, so that could shape the remaining races.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
This may be a stupid observation, but I could swear that the only reason any species can communicate with another is because of the translators built in to their hardsuits. Maybe we have met females of the difference races (in addition to the Krogan and Elcor already mentioned), but we aren't able to detect the auditory subtleties that distinguish them from men. Telling one alien gender apart from another may not have anything to do with vocal differences. Just because the Quarians are similar to humans doesn't mean every other race is as well.

At least, that's what I'd say if I were Bioware, and wanted to give a cop-out answer. ;)

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Xanadu84 said:
They say that for humans their live expectancy skyrocketed to 160 when they joined the Citadel, the Asari live for 1000 years but that's common knowledge and I read somewhere that Salarian live expectacy is around 40 and I call bullshit on that, if the Asari can live for a thousand years and the salarians are supposedly the most technologically advanced, why haven't they invented some sort of medicine to extend your life?

There is some very basic stuff, biologically, that limits life expectancy. Salarians life expectancy might be harder to circumvent then humans. Or maybe they did have their life expectancy extended to 40 from, say, 30. Arguably, they may not be so afraid of death. Hell, maybe they are so scientifically advanced because the vast majority of there resources go towards sustaining individuals at their peak of productivity.

2. The Raloi.
If you kept up with the Cerberus news you would know that there is a new species around called the Raloi, they are Avian and when they made 1st contact they only just launched their version of Sputnik, so are we going to actually SEE these aliens or is Bioware gonna pull the old bullshit of putting them in pressure suits?

No way to know. They kind of need to throw in real plot hooks, dead ends, and red herrings in order to make the game universe seem vast. It would be interesting, though.

pretty self explanitory, I mean the Flotilla was designed to be one of the most sterile environments suitable for quarians, and if you talk to an Asari Patriarch one of them says ' I remember when Quarians took off their suits regualrly' so why can't we ask her to describe them?

There is a few reasons for this. One, if your in a sterile operating room, you still wash your hands. A Quarian may be at less risk in the flotilla, but that is not the same as no risk. But more importantly, they do explain this on Tali's loyalty mission (Or at least, give you the information neccisary to draw this conclusion". Quarians lived on a planet where there was a much larger amount of symbiotic relationship, and much fewer parasites and diseases. Because of this, they had significantly weaker immune systems. When they traeled to other worlds, they absolutely needed their suits to protect themselves from hostile organism, but they could still be unsuited in some ships and their home world. Then the Geth kicked them into the flotilla. This caused them to get even weaker immune systems over generations, to the point where being unsuited at any time is a danger to the individuals life.

the only I can currently think of that we've seen different genders of are humans(obviously) and Quarians(check, the females have slimmer waists), the Asari don't count as they(and from what I've heard, Hanar)are mono-gendered.
Well you have Humans and Quarians with both genders. Asari are all female. Rachnai are a hive structure. Geth and Reaper aren't organic. Hanar likely don't have a gender. Alcor you probably couldn't distinguish. Probably the same with Vorcha. We have seen few enough Drell and Yahg that its not weird that they happen to seem male. Krogan keep their females in seclusion to protect them, so we may see them in a very unusual circumstance. That leaves Batarians, Salarians, Turians and Volus. Salarians apperently have females in political positions, so perhaps they just don't travel as much. And as for the rest, well, maybe you just happen to be in dangerous places and places of great political importance, and societal sexism keeps women out of those places. From an evolution perspective, it does make sense to keep women protected and hidden away to an extent, so that could shape the remaining races.[/quote]yeah, you might want to fix your quotations because I'm assuming you didn't re-write my post word-for-word.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Psymon138 said:
If I recall, it's mentioned in one of the novels that Quarians very rarely take their suits off even when on the Fleet with only other Quarians around. If even a relatively minor infection got past quarantine it could rip through a ship like wildfire. And the rag tag nature of the fleet means that having a self contained life support unit is very helpful if the front of the ship falls off or something. Pretty much the only place you'd see a Quarian outside the suit is in the showers and we haven't been there. Finally, it's psychological. Quarians spend their entire lives in their suits, they feel safe in there.
Not to mention it is one of the few personal spaces they have.

MrDumpkins

Sep 20, 2010
Josh12345 said:
Ok, so I have 4 major questions about Mass Effect 2 that alot of others probably want answered aswell, so without further ado:
They say that for humans their live expectancy skyrocketed to 160 when they joined the Citadel, the Asari live for 1000 years but that's common knowledge and I read somewhere that Salarian live expectacy is around 40 and I call bullshit on that, if the Asari can live for a thousand years and the salarians are supposedly the most technologically advanced, why haven't they inventeed some sort of medicine to extend your life?
2. The Raloi.
the only I can currently think of that we've seen different genders of are humans(obviously) and Quarians(check, the females have slimmer waists), the Asari don't count as they(and from what I've heard, Hanar)are mono-gendered.
1. No idea, probably because salarians are lizards and their genes can't be modified to be slower yet.

2. That's sweet, never heard of that, we'll see what happens in ME3

3. It's not only due to infections, in the second book, kahlee sanders visits the quarians too(and is attacked by cerberus, which is why tali hates them), while kahlee is there she realizes that the quarians literally have no privacy, and that everything is community and great, and while they don't have to have suits on in their own flotilla, they say they do due to a pressure leak or something, but she realizes there is something deeper there, since pressure leaks don't happen often. She realizes that the suit is probably the closest thing they will ever get to having privacy to themselves, in a weird way. So that they actually have something that nobody else can see and such.

4. We'll see female batarians soon. though you might not want it :\

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I suspect the reason the Quarians still wore suits even on board the flotilla was due to the fact that most of those ships were very badly worn out. The entire fleet is damaged and falling apart. They need to find a world to inhabit and soon.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Quarians seem more short lived than humans, maybe naturally or maybe due to their situation. This is just speculation on my part, though. They seem to probably have the same life-expectancy that real world humans have now, or maybe shorter, since all the Admirals are basically in their forties or fifties at the very oldest (dialogue with them hints at this) and they evidently have children in their twenties, or thereabouts. It's not unreasonable to think that the average quarian lives into their sixties or seventies, but not much longer, especially since they seem willing to consider admirals as young as Xen or even freaking Tali, only two years into being considered an adult.

Again, this is just what I gathered from it. When Tali talks about retaking the home world, she basically hints that it would take sixty years to readjust to Rannoch, and that time length would be the only reasonable way that anyone in the migrant fleet would be able to see it with their masks off, presumably children younger than her. So yeah it sounds like quarians live to be somewhere in their seventies, if only because of the hardships associated with the fleet.

OmegaAlucard777

Sep 20, 2010
Well. You do actually see ONE and only ONE female Krogan (Atleast I think It is a female. Doesn't sound like a male and s/he says "I convey the will of the Females" (Remember, the males have to be kept seperate from the Females. Otherwise it would be anarchy). On the Krogan Homeworld when you are going to talk to the Shaman. She is off to the right. You dont get to see a cut scene when you talk to her. She just has one sentance replies to you.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Deviltongue said:
Average Human life expectancy is 150 years

Average Asari life expectancy is over 1000 years

Average Krogan life expectancy is over 1000 years

Average Salarian life expectancy is 40 years

Average Drell Life expectancy is 85 years

Average Turian Life expectancy is 150 years

Those are all of the life expectancies I remember.
edit:krogan can live 500 years it has been stated as such.

OP:
3. it was explained in the trail mission that the skin from another quarian can and does make them sick they cant live together without first linking up there suits and suffering through a sickness period.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
DVS Storm said:
1. Well Krogan can live over thousand years too, I think that Drell can live 60 years(not sure) and well Salarians have hyperactive metabolism. Even if they are really advanced, it's really hard to try to slow your body down. They basically wouldn't be Salarians anymore if they did that.
2. I think that we will either see them in ME3 or they don't even mention them.
3. I think that Bioware still wants to keep a web of shadow over the Quarians. It's their own little secret and I can't blame them. It is really interesting to try and imagine what they would look like.
4. Well we are not going to see female Krogans I think. Krogan females are always treating kids and sealed away in camps(either because Krogans don't want to roam free since the genophage or because Krogan are tribal species). I think it's wierd that we haven't seen Turian females.

This is why I love Mass Effect. Bioware has created a really intriquing universe and they have explained many things through science(not all of course).
About the female Turians, you may or may not have. Since if you read the books you'd know, the male and female versions look nearly identical to each other.

OT: I 'd like to see some of the different species out of their suites

Herr Wozzeck

Oct 23, 2009
kuyo said:
It might also have something to do with Miranda being a total ***** by not putting on a helmet and contaminating the atrium.
IIRC, Jack, Mordin, and Kasumi do it too, so it's not just Miranda.

Anyhow... back to the topic at hand...

3. I don't think they'll ever reveal quarians out of their suits, as much as we would all like to see that. It's kind of the same issue as Link having spoken dialogue: so many people would likely be extremely disappointed if it finally does get one.
4. Strangely, you can find females outside of the games. Apparently, a female turian can be seen in the Illusive Man's prequel comic (Mass Effect: Evolution). And indeed, there exist a couple of scans from the comic that show a female turian:

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/7775/femaleturian1.jpg
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/6058/femaleturian2.jpg

So if they're not in the game yet, it means Bioware hasn't completely abandoned the opposite gender. Who knows?

Deviltongue

Feb 2, 2008
ecoho said:
Deviltongue said:

OP:
3. it was explained in the trail mission that the skin from another quarian can and does make them sick they cant live together without first linking up there suits and suffering through a sickness period.
Warlord Okeer was over 1000, that Asari bartender on Illium's father lived to be over 1000 as well.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Deviltongue said:
ecoho said:
Deviltongue said:

OP:
Warlord Okeer was over 1000, that Asari bartender on Illium's father lived to be over 1000 as well.
....ill have to check that okeer maybe but i know the bartenders dad was 500 when he and her mother fought it out, a way for him to go out with a bang.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Josh12345 said:
Ok, so I have 4 major questions about Mass Effect 2 that alot of others probably want answered aswell, so without further ado:
They say that for humans their live expectancy skyrocketed to 160 when they joined the Citadel, the Asari live for 1000 years but that's common knowledge and I read somewhere that Salarian live expectacy is around 40 and I call bullshit on that, if the Asari can live for a thousand years and the salarians are supposedly the most technologically advanced, why haven't they inventeed some sort of medicine to extend your life?
2. The Raloi.

1. That's correct, asari live 1000-1200 years, humans live to about 120 in ME (with the life extending technology and better medicine), and it's true, Salarians do live only about 40 years, but they're born in huge clutches, and don't, as a race, fear death from old age. They just use it as an excuse to spend those 40 years doing the best work that they can.

Also, Krogan can live upto 1000 years as well, quarians and turians have similar lifespans to humans

2. No idea on this one. Most likely they're going to be used in the expanded fiction

3. I agree with this, and it's one thing that bothers me as well, but I have come up with an idea. We only see two ships. One of them is under attack, and the other is not sterile. It has non-quarians docked, so maybe the quarians are wearing their suits as a precaution. It's still a kick in the teeth though.

4. We've encountered but not seen a female krogan and heard about female turians, but both of those species have cultural reasons that you wouldn't see many females around. Krogans, the females are all out constantly making krogan babies to try and keep the population up, safely kept away. Turians have a staunchly patriarchal society which doesn't really view its women very highly, the women are probably primarily domestics. It's still a shame we haven't seen if they look any different though.

Female salarians may have actually been seen. I think they look/sound almost identical to male salarians, the only difference is in the gender itself. They have a staunchly matriarchal society though, and only 10% of their species is female, so it's possible that we haven't seen any.