Mass Effect 2: will it be as good as Mass Effect

skcseth

May 25, 2009
E.v.a.n.g.e.l said:
I'm thankful that Bioware is making the sequel to Mass Effect (Why they entrust their game's sequel to Obsidian). But Mass Effect 2 will be a lot better than Mass Effect... four words; no elevator loading screens
Isn't EA in charge of the sequel?

But thank god for no more elevator rides. The new combat system is shaping up nicely as well.
http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/05/15/video-provides-a-pre-e3-look-at-mass-effect-2/

Jul 9, 2008
skcseth said:
E.v.a.n.g.e.l said:
I'm thankful that Bioware is making the sequel to Mass Effect (Why they entrust their game's sequel to Obsidian). But Mass Effect 2 will be a lot better than Mass Effect... four words; no elevator loading screens

But thank god for no more elevator rides. The new combat system is shaping up nicely as well.
http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/05/15/video-provides-a-pre-e3-look-at-mass-effect-2/
No, EA bought Bioware, but they've said they'll let them do their own thing in regards to the ME series.

skcseth

May 25, 2009
orannis62 said:
skcseth said:
E.v.a.n.g.e.l said:

No, EA bought Bioware, but they've said they'll let them do their own thing in regards to the ME series.
thank god. i was afraid the next two sequels would be the same game with the only changes being roster... i mean character updates if EA got their hands on it.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
Insanum said:
I didnt like Mass effect, Im a bit of a bethesda RPG nut (help!), I love Oblivion (250 hours+ of gameplay) and Fallout 3 (150+) Both on the same game, No restarts.

Mass effect was too short, 30 Hours and there was nothing left to keep my attention. And that was trying to drag the main story out as long as possible. So far ive heard nothing from the ME2 direction that has peaked my attention so i doubt it will be a Long game (by my standards)
I think you and I are about opposite. I liked Bethesda's old stuff (primarily, Morrowind), but loathed Oblivion and Fallout3. I just thought they were tedious, the voice acting atrocious, and the characters flat and stale. Mass Effect had interesting characters, a compelling story, great dynamic dialogue, and it didn't overstay it's welcome. I logged 70+ hours on all my characters, getting them to Level 60 and playing through the expansion. Total I've played the game at least 200+ hours.

I have to say, ME2 is my most anticipated game right now. I've read the article about it and it seems like BioWare's listening to the fans. We're going to see some new alien species/worlds (including some developed ones), the dune buggy missions are getting an overhaul, and the models are just gorgeous. I think the plot's going to revolve more around Cerberus and the Illusive Man, both of which fascinate me. All in all, I'm super excited and I think the game will be good. BioWare, don't let me down!

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
high_castle said:
Insanum said:
I didnt like Mass effect, Im a bit of a bethesda RPG nut (help!), I love Oblivion (250 hours+ of gameplay) and Fallout 3 (150+) Both on the same game, No restarts.

Mass effect was too short, 30 Hours and there was nothing left to keep my attention. And that was trying to drag the main story out as long as possible. So far ive heard nothing from the ME2 direction that has peaked my attention so i doubt it will be a Long game (by my standards)
I think you and I are about opposite. I liked Bethesda's old stuff (primarily, Morrowind), but loathed Oblivion and Fallout3. I just thought they were tedious, the voice acting atrocious, and the characters flat and stale. Mass Effect had interesting characters, a compelling story, great dynamic dialogue, and it didn't overstay it's welcome. I logged 70+ hours on all my characters, getting them to Level 60 and playing through the expansion. Total I've played the game at least 200+ hours.

I have to say, ME2 is my most anticipated game right now. I've read the article about it and it seems like BioWare's listening to the fans. We're going to see some new alien species/worlds (including some developed ones), the dune buggy missions are getting an overhaul, and the models are just gorgeous. I think the plot's going to revolve more around Cerberus and the Illusive Man, both of which fascinate me. All in all, I'm super excited and I think the game will be good. BioWare, don't let me down!
Quite Possibly - I loved Morrowind, It was so much bigger than oblivion, but i think it was too buggy - I managed to make every single Guard in Vivec determind to kill me. And the combat system on Morrowing left a lot to be desired.

Y'see my ideal game is a game that says "heres what we'd like you to do, but you dont have to yet" Oblivion & fallout (current gen) are the closest i can get too without straying into MMO's. Mass Effect just disappointed me, I wanted Morrowing in space, and it didnt. Theres no doubting the voice acting is better in ME, but it just felt too linear really.

If ME2 Could be like Morrowind in space...My God...Life as we know it may stop.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
high_castle said:
Insanum said:

...the dune buggy missions are getting an overhaul, and the models are just gorgeous...
Ok, Now youve managed to intregue me, The buggy missions were fun for quite a while, Although i wouldve liked to've found something more interesting than a probe, a worm & missions down there. If there were some little colonies worth seeing, even for asthetics (poss typo).

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Biggest issue for me is the weak combat, closely followed by the ticky tack cookie-cutter sidequests.

I'd like combat to feel more like a shooter, and less like an RPG. Enemies who just absorb bullets like the terminator until they hit their critical existence failure kill it for me. There should be at least location-based damage for the enemies, and some enemies should go down but still be alive. Gears did it good, CoD 4 did it great. Hell, even the original Halo had enemies that flinched from forceful hits, and that was back in 2001. Being able to get revived by party members, at least on the lower difficulties, would also be a plus.

If those issues are addressed, I'll buy it the first week it comes out.

And if they make Biotic Lift like the Lift from Force Unleashed, I'll shit myself.

emh204

Oct 20, 2008
It will be good only if they were lieing about your character dieing cause after everything you go through it seams imposible for him to die.

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
Deef said:
We'll just have to wait and see I guess.
I'm thinking that it will be at least the same, Drew Karpyshyn is a terrific writer.
Actually, I think I heard that Drew isn't behind the story for this one...[/quote]

What, really?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

XUnsafeNormalX

Mar 26, 2009
I can only hope it will be better.

The story and gameplay were good I just got bored of the repetative planet exploring.

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
quiet_samurai said:
I was very disappointed that you couldn't visit Earth. I know, I know, why would you want to do that when you had the whole rest of the galaxy to explore? It's because I just wanted to see what the designers imagined the Earth would look like after such technological advancements and a few hundred more years of human habitation.
I think that'll be addressed in the sequel.
It probably got cut because (hold your breath) they had to rush for the release date, and just another planet to explore would've seemed unnecessary given all the countless others.

I was frustrated by it too, especially when I discovered our galaxy was actually conveniently located right next to the Citadel all along without noticing, and the closest you could get to Humanity's home was the moon, which was little more than the default barren, cratered exploration site, which only had the defining feature of being able to see the Earthrise above you.
Something dev's usually do with sequels is they put in all the things they wanted to, but were unable to due to time or conceptual constraints in the first one.
It'd be really gratifying to be able to see the hub of human civilization and how it's evolved since the Prothean artifacts were discovered and all.
The architecture could be like a blend of the sleek, curved towers of the aliens with some of the sturdy, geometric blockiness we're characterized for.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
Insanum said:
high_castle said:
Insanum said:

...the dune buggy missions are getting an overhaul, and the models are just gorgeous...
Ok, Now youve managed to intregue me, The buggy missions were fun for quite a while, Although i wouldve liked to've found something more interesting than a probe, a worm & missions down there. If there were some little colonies worth seeing, even for asthetics (poss typo).
I enjoyed a lot of the buggy missions, too. I think they could be more varied, though, and it sounds like the dev team thinks so as well. We're going to see some more varied worlds, even an asari colony with skyscrapers and the like. Looks good. The one thing that bugged me about the Mako missions was its tendency to get stuck in the scenery. I liked to blaze over the mountains rather than around them, but you have no idea how many times I got the Mako stuck vertically in a little crevice with no way to get it out except to go back to the Normandy and try again. So if they fix those little holes, I shall be happy.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
It'd better be good, gonna me extremely disappointed otherwise, I thought Mass Effect was brilliant.

Makes me sad that EA has bought BioWare though, I hope to any applicable deity that they won't got same way as Westwood and DICE did :<

Aethelric

May 11, 2009
It should be quite good. We'll see if the combat is actually improved. I hated the old system enough that just about anything more fluid would make me weep tears of joy, as the storyline and immersion of the first game were the only thing that made me slog through each combat encounter.

Let's hope we get more interesting worlds to discover, and that they'll make the periphery quests and storylines a little less cookie-cutter. I eventually barrelled through the storyline after getting bored with the side missions before finishing them all (which is rare for me).

HaircareForMen

May 21, 2009
I personally didn't enjoy mass effect all that much i haz much better games to play. So when i found i was near the end i went straight for it.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
If they remembered to keep all the things I did in the first game:
Wrex not only lives but also becomes Shepard's best friend
The Ashley-Shepard romance thing still goes on and evolves a bit
Humanity and the Council are at peace
Shepard in fact still does have a pulse

Then I am fine.