Mass Effect 2nd Playthrough

YeOldeMunger

Nov 28, 2007
EDIT: Since I've got another question on essentially the same topic I figured I'd recycle this thread. My second question is; I'm doing a 2nd playthrough now and I was wondering about the "Ally Achievements", or more specifically would it be enough to do just the Story quests to unlock them? The achievement says "majority of the game", and I was wondering if that meant I had to complete more of the game than I would see doing just the Story quests. Thanks in advance.

Right, so I've recently (a couple of months ago) finished Mass Effect and now and good and ready for my second exhilarating playthrough.

Off I go to start a new career and notice the lovely option to play as my old character with all the trimmings. I'm going to be doing this on Hardcore (or whatever the 4th difficulty setting is) so my old collection of guns and whatnot will be very welcome.

Right, setting is set, on to the question. Apart from your level, alignment, stats/skills (whatever you want to call them), items and cash, is there anything else that is brought forward from the previous playthrough?

Such as my decision to kill (or let die, whatever) a certain person and my choice at the end. I guess this probably doesn't but I just want to make sure, since I'd like to change of few of my decisions.

So yes. Also, any opinions on whether playing a second playthrough with an old character is a good idea are welcome as well.

Stringytank

Oct 8, 2008
It really depends.
A lot of people like to try the different classes rather than another playthrough with the same strategy involved.

Umwerfer

Nov 3, 2008
a good tip, don't^^ you WILL end up skipping, or wanting to skip all the cut scenes, which makes the experience hollow. Mass Effect is an empty shell after you remove the cut-scenes:(
AND: fun bug. Whenever your driving that retarded, über car and meet those four legged robots, damage them a bit, then exit the car and finish them off; you'll recieve somewhere around 10 times the xp, enjoy:p

implodingMan

Apr 9, 2008
I'd recommend starting over with a different class, a different alignment, and a different gender. Go for a completely different experience.

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
The ally achievements require you to do the vast majority of side-quests with the same ally, as well as the main story... I think it's a percentage of the total quests available, something like around 90-95% of them. If you just put the story on hold before Virmire and then do all of the side-quests, then you should get the achievement shortly after completing them. In otherwords, just stick with the same party members throughout the entire game, and, if you want to unlock the higher difficulty settings, do the same thing.