Mass Effect 3 "Change The Ending" Petition (almost certainly spoilers)

random281

Mar 10, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
It is a dead end path, the reapers made it so, the Asari's, and the other races in general, unwillingness to make new relays shows their dependance and their flawed civilization.
You're forgetting about the Protheans. They began researching and developing Mass Effect Relays of their own. It's a central plot point in the first game.

Eventually, Civilizations can begin to develop past the barriers the reapers set up. The entire idea is that the reapers are supposed to wipe out galactic civilization before they can use it. The reapers didn't realize the protheans had begun developing mass effect Technology before they invaded, that's what enable you to return to the Citadel in the first game.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
It's not self-entitlement or 'stupid'.

The fans aren't asking for an ending they deserve. They're asking for an ending that Mass Effect deserves.
Thank goodness someone said this. Because this is exactly what it is. Mass Effect and all the good choices you can make should make a difference in the end.

I haven't bought Mass Effect 3 myself, but I have played the first two and understand why fans would be pissed at when some of these choices take a lot of precision and a crap ton of work is thrown away at the very end.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
random281 said:
You're forgetting about the Protheans. They began researching and developing Mass Effect Relays of their own. It's a central plot point in the first game.

Eventually, Civilizations can begin to develop past the barriers the reapers set up. The entire idea is that the reapers are supposed to wipe out galactic civilization before they can use it. The reapers didn't realize the protheans had begun developing mass effect Technology before they invaded, that's what enable you to return to the Citadel in the first game.
And their relay was EXACTLY like the Reapers one but smaller, which nothing ever suggested they couldn't have been made smaller. That is STILL down he reapers technological path, the Protheans just got one step farther.

Thus you haven't shows an example of a race getting past the Reaper's barrier.

If anything the fact that the Asari laugh off anyone who suggest they build more relays shows that the races are stupidly content and stagnate with the way things are and WONT develop past their limits unless being forced.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
I'm not against them wanting a happy ending but all I want is some of the MAJOR plot holes to be explained and not have so many things unanswered it's just pointless ending the series like this.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
They inherit stuff they don't fully understand, spend ages studying it trying to figure out how it works, eventually copy it, and all the while are so blinded by trying to figure what how what someone else provided for them works that they don't look at the other alternatives that could very well be better.
Spending a thousand years coming up with an alternative to something that already works is not a better path. At it's peak the Roman empire was technologically in the early renaissance. Are we all better off now that a horde of filthy savages stormed it's gates, dismantled their society, and left humanity in the dark ages for close to a thousand years?

Hell, as it turned out, the renaissance was pretty much people realizing that the dark ages weren't much of an alternative and just rebuilding from Roman schematics.

SajuukKhar said:
And once they do eventually copy it, which based off of how the Asari laugh off people who suggest it wont be any time soon because they are so complacent as is it's sickening, they will sit there stagnate because they haven't learned how to think for themselves and have ended up avoiding countless possible better options.
Change, and by association invention only really happens when the status quo stops meeting people's needs. This dead end you speak of could be that theoretical point, in which case they have the motivation needed to figure out how to proceed. It wont be the end of the world, just a challenge to overcome.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
malakaira said:
I'm not against them wanting a happy ending but all I want is some of the MAJOR plot holes to be explained and not have so many things unanswered it's just pointless ending the series like this.
I could explain away any of the "plotholes"

aaronobst

Needs a life
Aug 20, 2010
I'm actually quite depressed, I became so emotionally invested with these amazing characters and worlds that Bioware has created throughout the span of this amazing series that I love oh so very much...

To have such unsatisfactory endings just makes me so upset.

I know it may seem pathetic to be making such a big deal over a videogame but fuck you, gaming is my passion and I have put countless hours into this franchise.

Airsoftslayer93

Minecraft King
Mar 17, 2010
I found the endings to be a major downer, and they ruined an otherwise perfect game for me, i would have prefered a cliched 'destroy all reapers, the universe is a better place, fallout style ending explaining the consequences of your actions' or a 'evil sheperd rides controlled reaper destroying all non humans'. If i've already gotten to the ending i should feel victorious, not sad no matter what ending i got.

random281

Mar 10, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
Thus you haven't shows an example of a race getting past the Reaper's barrier.
There isn't a single race in the galaxy that actually got past the barrier. The Protheans are the only race that ever got close and all they did was replicate the technology. They got wiped out before the technology could become wide spread enough to make a difference.

That's the entire point of the Reaper's Strategy. They shut down Interstellar travel, then destroy your civilization one system at a time knowing you'll never be able to mass the forces to stop them. They don't need to limit any other technology to completely destroy you.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Buretsu said:
Aprilgold said:
MiracleOfSound said:

The fans aren't asking for an ending they deserve. They're asking for an ending that Mass Effect deserves.
Thank goodness someone said this. Because this is exactly what it is. Mass Effect and all the good choices you can make should make a difference in the end.

I haven't bought Mass Effect 3 myself, but I have played the first two and understand why fans would be pissed at when some of these choices take a lot of precision and a crap ton of work is thrown away at the very end.
So you haven't played Mass Effect 3, and thus have no idea how the choices made in the first two games affect anything you ever do in the third, but can freely state that your opinion, based on second-hand information, is a fact?
Firstly, never said it was fact and anyone that thinks anyone says on the internet is fact need to think over what most people say in real life is opinion. Here its no different.

Secondly, a lot of getting a 'Perfect Shepard' takes at least 10 hours if you are doing it slightly blind.

Thirdly. A outsider can always make a decent point, and you don't always need a hands on experience with something to point out a flaw. I don't have to do crack-cocaine to know its addictive.

Overall, your being obtuse and just nit picking.

From what I've read the choices vary from horrid bad to bad, there is no good outcome that actually fucking matters. There is no ending that is reward for loyal fans making the best Shepherd and getting everyone super happy. I don't care what you say about the universality being dark and all that shiz, when I spend 64 hours getting invested and loving your series, being the key example of a dedicated fan, I will get pissed when you just straight up say "Yeah, your work was pointless."

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Buretsu said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Guess what: BioWare have the right to do ANY ending they want. If they thought that a downer ending was the best way to end the series, then that's what they thought, and NO-ONE ELSE has ANY RIGHT to tell them to change it. No-one. Anywhere. Ever.
Fallacy. Creators indeed have the right of creation and domain over their works, however in any story told there is a Reader/Writer contract.

The Reader-Writer Contract
by Chawna Schroeder

snip
Bioware has not fulfilled their end of the contract, I am fully within my rights to be upset over this.
Okay, and where exactly are you claiming the fault lies with them? Which part of the 'contract' did they not fulfil?
I do believe the main portion of the contract that he was referring to was an emotionally satisfying ending. The fact that Mass Effect 3 ended on a 'downer' is irrelevant. Its the fact that it felt out of place, made all prior decisions feel pointless and not worth the effort, and were so similar as to be interchangeable. There was no satisfaction to be had in the endings, at least not with me and many others who played. While I personally would have preferred Shepard live with his or her love interest, if they had one, on one of their home planets, if nothing else, I would have been satisfied with a more heroic death, where Shepard fulfilled exactly what he meant to: The destruction of the Reapers as well as the safeguarding of all the races he or she banded together, Geth included.

To the poster to put up the Reader/Writer contract, I honestly hadn't heard of it before, even though I read quite a bit, though mostly sci-fi and fantasy. It definitely gives a whole-new perspective to story-telling for me, and I'll have to remember it.

GenericAmerican

Dec 27, 2009
Honestly, too me the ending was fine. Bittersweet but fine.

I mean what else did you expect to happen? I expected to not win at all; for the final attack on the reapers to just fail horribly.

I'd say my ending was more than I expected.

That said, I didn't like the game. The writing is horrible, and it seems every romance option was shoehorned in with the highest amount of awkwardness possible.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:

Exactly! That death wasn't what my Shepard deserved, that ending wasn't what the galaxy, which I spent time and effort into preparing, deserved. It wasn't the the outcome that the Mass Effect Universe deserved, especially since it was severely crippled by the ending no matter what, almost crippled beyond repair, like if you dropped Joker from a high table.

Also, on a less serious note, part of me still feels that Commander Shepard should have been playing in the credits, regardless. You can never be better, than Commander Shepard.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Palfreyfish said:
To be fair to most people, I don't think they're angry with the ending being a downer, I think they're angry with the endings available essentially boiling down to "push a button to choose your ending", which means that hardly any of the important actions from the prior two games have an effect.

For example: Rewriting or not rewriting the Geth in ME2 becomes irrelevant because with one button push all synthetic life is destroyed.

There's nothing wrong with a downer ending, or multiple downer endings. The series HAD to end like that. They just could have been implemented better.
So, this reply I thought was extremely good.

I see a lot of people who haven't played the game decrying it as "the stupidest thing ever" that people are bitching about the ending. Maybe if they played it, or played all three for that matter, they'd understand how disappointing the ending is?

I don't know if it applies to everyone else, but for me personally, I was having a fantastic time with ME3 right up until the last 20 minutes. It was honestly the best game thus far in the series, a near perfect balance of RPG and shooter combat. And to go from barely being able to put the game down and playing on the edge of my seat for 30 hours, to barely being able to understand the ending... Well, I can see why people are pissed.

Palfreyfish

Mar 18, 2011
Uszi said:
Palfreyfish said:
To be fair to most people, I don't think they're angry with the ending being a downer, I think they're angry with the endings available essentially boiling down to "push a button to choose your ending", which means that hardly any of the important actions from the prior two games have an effect.

For example: Rewriting or not rewriting the Geth in ME2 becomes irrelevant because with one button push all synthetic life is destroyed.

There's nothing wrong with a downer ending, or multiple downer endings. The series HAD to end like that. They just could have been implemented better.
So, this reply I thought was extremely good.

I see a lot of people who haven't played the game decrying it as "the stupidest thing ever" that people are bitching about the ending. Maybe if they played it, or played all three for that matter, they'd understand how disappointing the ending is?

I don't know if it applies to everyone else, but for me personally, I was having a fantastic time with ME3 right up until the last 20 minutes. It was honestly the best game thus far in the series, a near perfect balance of RPG and shooter combat. And to go from barely being able to put the game down and playing on the edge of my seat for 30 hours, to barely being able to understand the ending... Well, I can see why people are pissed.
Thank you :) All the people who I've spoken to are exactly the same as you, in that they spent ~30 hours glued to their seats, and then ended up confused at the end. If the endings weren't so disappointing then there wouldn't be this debate and ME3 would win ALL the GOTY awards for 2012. Granted, it will probably win some, but nowhere near the amount it could have gotten.

That being said, topping the ending of ME2 is a huge ask in itself, as you can't just have "rocks fall everyone dies" again, or people would be complaining that ME3 had the same ending as ME2...

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
The ending is disappointing. I would have been alright with a depressing ending, but it really destroys all replay value and if you had several shepards, to get different endings with, you can't. It's all the same endings, no matter the choices you've made before.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It's time like this it make me think being a fanboy is a bad thing.

It's their game therefore Bioware doesn't even need to meet their fans demands. Name me one game that the fanboy had cried for a change and the company give in to them? (Well ok I guess Supreme Commander sort of count when they brought back the experimental units but this is bigger than that.) Also no I don't think this will be the first either.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Buretsu said:
madster11 said:
MiloP said:
Guess what: BioWare have the right to do ANY ending they want. If they thought that a downer ending was the best way to end the series, then that's what they thought, and NO-ONE ELSE has ANY RIGHT to tell them to change it. No-one. Anywhere. Ever.
Except for every single person who buys their products and supplies their f***ing wages.
SOMEONE's got entitlement issues.

It's not your story. You didn't write it, you don't get the option to say "Hey this ending is stupid, DO IT OVER."

You're free to not like the ending, it's a whole other thing to demand a rewrite.
People aren't demanding a rewrite, they are asking for one. It's a request, not an ultimatum, and they have every right to it. There is a special relationship between author/reader, and an even more complicated one between gamer/writer. They can't demand anything from the creators, but they can damn well let them know they didn't think something was up to scratch.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Wenseph said:
The ending is disappointing. I would have been alright with a depressing ending, but it really destroys all replay value and if you had several shepards, to get different endings with, you can't. It's all the same endings, no matter the choices you've made before.
too bad your choices do matter post-game

*fun fact* just because they don't tell you everything that happened, which they actually did with The stargazers, doesn't mean that your choices were invalidated.