Mass Effect 3 Demo Set For Valentine's Day Release

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Mass Effect 3 Demo Set For Valentine's Day Release

Krogan are red, Asari are blue...

BioWare has announced that the first demo for Mass Effect 3 will be available for download on XBLA, PSN, and PC from the 14th of February 2012. The demo will allow players to experience the full game's Reaper-infested opening sequence as either [https://twitter.com/#!/gtez/status/157506310437482496] male or female Shepard.

Players will be able to unlock special content for the demo by playing the demo for Kingdoms of Amalur [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115181-Kingdoms-of-Amalur-Demo-Conjures-Mass-Effect-3-Extras], which debuted on the 17th of January.

The demo will also allow access to the game's multiplayer aspect, with gamers who purchased an online pass for Battlefield 3 being granted instant access to the service. Players who don't have one of the passes will have to wait until the 17th of the month to start lobbing singularities at their friends. This delay also removes the "but hey sweetness, look, if we're playing against each other then the demo really is like a date! Let's see if there's a restaurant environment setting," option from gamers with romantic events planned for the 14th.

Announcing the release, Mass Effect 3 executive producer Casy Hudson said that, "We are excited to be able to give gamers an expansive demo that will put them right on the front lines of this all-out galactic war."

"The entire scale of the game is bigger than anything we've ever done," continued Hudson. "With its intense action, deep customization and raw emotional power, Mass Effect 3 will deliver a spectacular action RPG experience to fans of the series and newcomers alike."

If Mass Effect 3's opening sequence is anywhere near as spectacular as that of its predecessor, this demo could be something really enjoyable. Will the omniblade be there from the start? How much of the story will we get to see? Will my boyfriend accept a tour of the history of Mass Effect with a free demonstration as a Love Day gift? Come at it, February. In the meantime, here are a few impressive screenshots [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115045-New-Mass-Effect-3-Screens-Are-Mighty-Fowl] to whet the appetite.

Mass Effect 3 is due for release on the 6th of March 2012.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Is Bioware TRYING to get every gamer dumped by their significant other?

"What was that honey? Valentine's? I can't hear you over how awesome Garrus is being! And look, it's Tali! She's hot! Don't you think she's hot? Honey? Where did you go?"

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Jandau said:

"What was that honey? Valentine's? I can't hear you over how awesome Garrus is being! And look, it's Tali! She's hot! Don't you think she's hot? Honey? Where did you go?"
And of course the face you'll pull to try and woo him/her back...

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Couple posts in and already this thread is full of win..

And I originally just came in here to acknowledge the clever headline

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Richardplex said:
Jandau said:
Oh God, I alternately love you and hate you for that picture.

It was funny as hell, but now my computer screen suffers for the broken laughter.

OT: For once, it is good to be single on Valentine's Day. Hah! I hope...

pleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuck

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Jandau said:

"Are you suggesting I wear a gas mask in bed?"

"Well..."

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I'm single so good luck to all you committed fellows that have to choose between the game and that special someone. I still can't decide if I actually want to play it, I just don't want to spoil the end result in any way...though I might try the multiplayer.

The Dutchess

Feb 24, 2011
Aw man ... don't want to spoil the beginning before I play it with MY Shepard ... but definately going to give the multiplayer a whirl. Hopefully they've included an antique shop map, but only if it's classy!

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Hevva said:
"...fans of the series and newcomers alike."
Can we please stop doing this now Bioware? Seriously, what sort of people start playing a trilogy at the end anyway?

OT: I shall not be playing the demo. This experience is going to be far too good to have it ruined by already knowing the opening.

I'm saving myself for that sweet, tender moment when Mass Effect 3 has matured to just the right age and we can lay together and have hot, lurid... oh wait, wrong metaphor.

Dec 14, 2009
'a spectacular action RPG experience to fans of the series and newcomers alike'

There's a moment in a franchise when you should stop trying to cater to newcomers.

The last game in a trilogy is one of those moments.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I don't know, I found the intro sections of the previous two games to be the dullest parts. Took forever to get your squad mates, but once you had them, game on. However, since the stuff hits the fan right away in Mass Effect 3, this intro should hit the ground running. Interested in checking out the multiplayer too. That should be fun. Bring it on.

AMAZED

Dec 6, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
'a spectacular action RPG experience to fans of the series and newcomers alike'

There's a moment in a franchise when you should stop trying to cater to newcomers.

The last game in a trilogy is one of those moments.
mabey EA threatened to rollback thier paychecks if they don't get more fans

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Wait wat?
A demo? What is that ancient relic you speak about?
Good to see a demo, for a change. They give you a legal way to know what you're buying...

And there is a something that is bugging me. They make it sound like they are the good guys for making a demo. For fucks shake, they are doing their job!

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Hahaha! That sounds like a challenge to every coupled gamer out there! The guys with gaming other halfs are the luckiest... but who gets the controller?!

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
The Dutchess said:
Aw man ... don't want to spoil the beginning before I play it with MY Shepard ... but definately going to give the multiplayer a whirl. Hopefully they've included an antique shop map, but only if it's classy!
lobbing old clocks at people with biotics is just made of WIN.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Where's this Kingdoms of Amalur demo???

Is it released for Australia? Do you need a Gold membership to download it? WHERE IS IT!?

SadisticBrownie

May 9, 2011
pearcinator said:

Is it released for Australia? Do you need a Gold membership to download it? WHERE IS IT!?
I just went to recent Demos and it was there. Was very disappointed by it, but at least the ME3 stuff unlocks right at the start instead of forcing you to play all the way through.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
SadisticBrownie said:
pearcinator said:

I just went to recent Demos and it was there. Was very disappointed by it, but at least the ME3 stuff unlocks right at the start instead of forcing you to play all the way through.
Well...I can't see it. I'll still give it a shot and download it for the ME3 bonuses.