Mass Effect 3 ending SPOILERS!

Zetsubou-Sama

Mar 31, 2010
Llewellyon said:
What is the Rachni nest ending?
Lol I meant, the ending of that quest. Grunt turns to you says he will hold off the Rachni, sad music starts to play, Grunt loses his weapon, jumps into a cliff with 3 rachni, he looks like he will die, then at the last second, he returns all bloodied smiling.

Probably the moment that got me the most.

KingofMadCows

Dec 6, 2010
The destruction of the Mass Relay in the Arrival unleashed enough energy to destroy a solar system. So if Shepard destroyed all the Mass Relays in the galaxy then doesn't that mean every solar system with a Mass Relay is screwed?

Also, the synthesis thing seems like something they stole from Command and Conquer. The radiation is even green. It's like Shepard just seeded Tiberium across the galaxy.

jason27131

Oct 29, 2009
I feel like I've spend 60 hours playing all the games, only to reach the end and get a huge fuck you from EA and Bioware. Really?

I united all the races in the galaxy, did the impossible, only to have the entire Turian and quarian fleet die due to lack of food, every mass relay blown up, me and 2 teammates dying, and the rest of my teammates stuck on some remote planet? REALLY? Not a single one of my decisions even mattered in the end. What the fuck EA.

feeqmatic

Jun 19, 2009
KingofMadCows said:
The destruction of the Mass Relay in the Arrival unleashed enough energy to destroy a solar system. So if Shepard destroyed all the Mass Relays in the galaxy then doesn't that mean every solar system with a Mass Relay is screwed?

Also, the synthesis thing seems like something they stole from Command and Conquer. The radiation is even green. It's like Shepard just seeded Tiberium across the galaxy.
Holy crap i didnt even remember that part! That makes NOOOOOOOOO sense! But it brings up a good idea

jason27131

Oct 29, 2009
Golan Trevize said:
eventhorizon525 said:
Eh, my feeling from the ending was so they could sell more DLC, because people could play it even after beating the story. My Shepard DIED. How the hell is he building the legend after all of these events?

Captcha: "Good samaritan" ...uh ok ... I guess?
My Shepard didn't die at the end (I think) however since the ME universe was it was set in the game is history, why would I bother with DLC now that I know it ends with a huge reset button?
basically everything like "hey guyzz, dis happened like 1000+ years ago and is now a bedtime story, so ya"

Fapmaster5000

May 13, 2011
What I really don't get, above it all, is how it seems to violate the core of the game:

1. Actions have consequences beyond the immediate. See: characters carrying over game to game, choices that lock options in later games.

2. A relatively firm scifi setting. See: Codexes on everything, even one explained why they couldn't just lol-FTL into the side of the Reaper dreadnoughts with suicide ships, OR, explaining biotics in depth to justify the space-magic in pseudoscience (more than a lot of scifi, honestly).

3. Characters with depth. See: Every conversation and v/o job in the darn series.

And yet that damned ending spits on all three with SPACE MAGIC BABY, three choices that are unrelated to any prior action (and, in fact, ERASE a solid chunk of prior actions), and a COMPLETE lack of follow-up for the characters or universe (LOL IT WAS ALL A STORY!)

It just boggles me. Did the writer die of a heart attack with one chapter left to go, and it was finished by three chimpanzees, someone who googled the plots of Battlestar Galactica and 2001: A Space Odyssey, and a malfunctioning electric typewriter?

EDIT: I will TAKE THIS ALL BACK if there is some sort of super-secret hidden ending that patches over the bad writing. I'll still question the judgement to hide the non-derpy ending, but I'll at least forgive the worst of it.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
I really dont get the hatred for the endings of Mass Effect 3, they fit in line with the big themes of the series

1. Self-Sacrifice
2. Self-determination

Deremix

Apr 2, 2010
By the way guys, Mike Gamble tweeted this today: Hardest. Day. Ever. Seriously, if you people knew all the stuff we are planning...you'd, we'll - hold onto your copy of me3 forever.

Could this mean better endings? Hope so.

jason27131

Oct 29, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
I really dont get the hatred for the endings of Mass Effect 3, they fit in line with the big themes of the series

1. Self-Sacrifice
2. Self-determination
Have you actually played the game and got to the ending?

a) it makes no sense logically.
b) any decisions you made prior is meaningless
c) no sense of closure ie wtf happened in the aftermath.

You didn't "self-sacrifice" anything. Hell, having the reaper wiping everyone out is technically a better ending than this, since technology and the mass relays are still there for future generations. Now everyone's stuck on their own system, and the entire quarian and turian army/population just got wiped out as well.

Deremix

Apr 2, 2010
SajuukKhar said:

1. Self-Sacrifice
2. Self-determination
While that is very true, and I'm not saying the endings are terrible, in fact Mass Effect 3 is the best in the series, and one of the best games of all time, up there with HL2 and Portal 2, it completely destroyed everything that happened in every one of the games.

Plus, the third theme of the series was: overcoming the odds. Losing some, but ultimately coming out on top.

The endings, if there isn't a hidden one, were monumentally depressing. Plus, through out the game they talked about settling down and everything after it was all over. It was something players could look forward to, but then the last minutes destroyed it.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
jason27131 said:

You didn't "self-sacrifice" anything. Hell, having the reaper wiping everyone out is technically a better ending than this, since technology and the mass relays are still there for future generations. Now everyone's stuck on their own system, and the entire quarian and turian army/population just got wiped out as well.
I have beaten the game

A. Yes it does
B. So the Korgans being cured of the genophage, the Quarrians and Geth being allies, the Rachnai getting a chance to live again and many other decisions, still eare in effect regardless so nice lie.
C. Really I found plenty of closure, Shepard frees all current and future galactic civilization from eternal enslavement by not only destroying/controlling/ merging the reapers but also destroys the chains that the reapers used to bound races into slavery, aka the Mass Relays.

My question to you is did you pay attention at all during the series?

Leaving the mass relays in place defeats the entire point of the series.

Elitefusion

Mar 26, 2011
Someone over at the Bioware forums came up with what I really think is a fantastic option, that provides a much better ending but also doesn't invalidate the original three. Which means Bioware could do it without having to admit they screwed up and completely replace the last 10 minutes of the game.

http://social.bioware.com/1183972/polls/29101/

Honestly if this was the ending it would cement ME3 as the greatest game I've ever played. I was absolutely floored with the rest of the game, and I didn't even dislike the ending when I first played it. I was dumbfounded, trying to gather my thoughts. It wasn't until I learned that I had destroyed the Mass Relays(I thought that was only the "red" choice", but it wasn't clear), and that every ending is mostly the same did I change my thoughts.

The game is still absolutely fantastic. The missions concerning the Geth and Quarians in particular left me nearly in tears. The mission when you go into the Geth server and see old memories of the Geth shows Bioware's talents at making compelling, multi-dimensional characters. I don't even hate the endings quite the way everyone else does, but I would like to see the idea in that link, or one similar, added.

EDIT
This thread also does a good job of playing devil's advocate.

http://social.bioware.com/forums/forum/1/topic/355/index/9699530/1#9700512

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Elitefusion said:
Someone over at the Bioware forums came up with what I really think is a fantastic option, that provides a much better ending but also doesn't invalidate the original three. Which means Bioware could do it without having to admit they screwed up and completely replace the last 10 minutes of the game.

Unfortunately that ending ignores the entire point of the series.

jason27131

Oct 29, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
jason27131 said:

I have beaten the game

A. Yes it does.
B. So the Korgans being cured of the genophage, the Quarrians and Geth being allies, the Rachnai getting a chance to live again and many other decisions, still eare in effect regardless so nice lie.
C. Really I found plenty of closure, Shepard frees all current and future galactic civilization from eternal enslavement by not only destroying/controlling/ merging the reapers but also destroys the chains that the reapers used to bound races into slavery, aka the Mass Relays.

My question to you is did you pay attention at all during the series?
A. Relays blowing up tend to destroy an entire system ala Arrival. In that case, EVERY solar system in the galaxy would be blown up. Explain this plox. Also, if destroying the reapers destroy all forms of technology, why is EDI still alive in the ending movie?

B. All quarians are dead. They all died because they are stranded in sol because the mass relay got blown up, and they can't eat human food. Same with turians. Most Krogans are also now stuck in sol, as I assume all krogans are warriors. I cure genophage only to commit genocide in a manner of speaking. I saved the quarian homeworld and made peace with the geth only to have all quarians die (they still live on their flotilla atm).

C. What happens to Jack, Miranda, Liara, all the allies I made, etc. It's an open ending. As open as you can get, which really isn't any sort of closure whatsoever. Sure you destroyed the reapers, but you also destroyed any chance of a galactic relationship since EVERY SYSTEM IS CLOSED OFF.

Come on. Please actually think before you post.

Elitefusion

Mar 26, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
Elitefusion said:

Unfortunately that ending ignores the entire point of the series.
What would you say is the point of the series?

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
jason27131 said:
A. Relays blowing up tend to destroy an entire system ala Arrival. In that case, EVERY solar system in the galaxy would be blown up. Explain this plox. Also, if destroying the reapers destroy all forms of technology, why is EDI still alive in the ending movie?

B. All quarians are dead. They all died because they are stranded in sol because the mass relay got blown up, and they can't eat human food. Same with turians. Most Krogans are also now stuck in sol, as I assume all krogans are warriors. I cure genophage only to commit genocide in a manner of speaking. I saved the quarian homeworld and made peace with the geth only to have all quarians die (they still live on their flotilla atm).

C. What happens to Jack, Miranda, Liara, all the allies I made, etc. It's an open ending. As open as you can get, which really isn't any sort of closure whatsoever. Sure you destroyed the reapers, but you also destroyed any chance of a galactic relationship since EVERY SYSTEM IS CLOSED OFF.

A. The relays didn't explode at the end of Me3, they fell apart, and all their energy was used in enacting whatever choice you picked, so there would be no solar system destroying supernova, because their dark energy cores have been drained.

B. The whole point of reclaiming the Quarrian homeworld was that they could leave noncombatants there, most of their population wasn't on their ships or needed to pilot them. Also "most" Krogan were not on Earth, nor where "most of the turians".

C. The people on your ship form a colony that the stargazer is a part of and everyone else rebuilds earth. Also Mass Relays can be built again, but this time they will be built by our hands, not the reapers, freeing galactic civilzation from endless technological enslavement.

think before you post.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
After playing the game, it does have a leadup and hints towards these endings at points, but the endings still make no sense and are absolute crap.
Sadly, the answer to this question:
erttheking said:
Speaking of which, show of hands, anyone else know if Bioware will actually try to make a Broken Steel for ME3?
Is no. Semi-Quote from someone on the Bioware forums in a spoiler group who spoke to a Dev:
'We do not know why anyone would ask this. We [Bioware] are very happy with the endings and have no plans to change them [Or add in DLC endings]'.
The arrogance...
Elitefusion said:
What would you say is the point of the series?
Choice, and consequence for your choices, may be what he is referring to.
Ignoring the fact that these endings come up out of the blue, with the only hints towards them appearing in ME3 itself, and ignore your previous game pretty much entirely goes completely against what the Devs promised us.

We were told that since this was the final game, the Devs were going to make a number of widely varied endings that depended on the choices you had made through all the games. These endings are dependent on a choice you make in the last 30 seconds of the game, and are not very varied either.

Edit: Misread that. I see no problem with that ending, and it is ideal for what we have currently (Which is still pretty crap. The massive Deus Ex Machina they pulled really bugs me). I too am curious as to what this guy thinks is wrong with it.

jason27131

Oct 29, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
jason27131 said:

A. the relays didnt explode at the end of Me3 they fell apart, and all thier energy was used in enacting your choice, so there would be no solar system destroying supernova.

B. the whole point of reclaiming the Quarrian homeworld was that they could leave noncombatants there, most of their population wasn't on their ships or needed to pilot them.

C. The people on your ship form a colony that the stargaze is a part of and everyone else rebuilds earth.

thing beofre you post.

A. Watch the video again. the mass relays exploded, with the energy shooting out to another mass relay to do the same thing in a chain effect. Secondly, EDI DIED on the run to the teleporter. Why the fuck did she step out of normandy? Come on. You can't defend this.

B. The civilian fleet was part of the war against the geth, so I'm pretty sure they'd be part of the war against the reapers as well, considering the galaxy needed every possible manpower to win an impossible fight. If I was in a losing war, I wouldn't leave people capable of fighting at home "in case". Why aren't most krogans on earth? Krogans pride themselves as a warrior species. Why the fuck would they stay on Tuchanka sucking on their thumbs when there's a galactic war going on.

C. That's an assumption. I didn't see Liara stepping out of the ship, or Vega, even though they didn't die. I want a good epilogue ala DAO. Not some "lets assume shit happened". I didn't invest 60 hours into a series just to end with some half-assed lazy ending that makes you assume half the shit. Relays were build million of years ago by the catalyst. The protheans (more advanced than humans, asari and salarians combined) managed to build a small model of a mass relay, by studying the models already available. What makes you think they can build one with all mass relays destroyed, and galactic travel/communications disabled?

P.S. *think before* you post.