Mass Effect 3- From Ashes DLC (spoilers))

feeqmatic

Jun 19, 2009
Again lets try to minimize the discussion of the ending and save it for numerous the ending threads (yes i know im part of the problem).

What did you guys thing of from ashes. I thought it was excellent and highly meaningful to the story, almost too meaningful to make it DLC. I understand why people felt they were being bilked becuase if you missed out on the additional elements the prothean(javik) added to the story then you really missed out. his character was possibly my favorite in terms of what he added and is much more to the story than Zaeed and Kasumi were in ME2.

One thing i wanted to touch on is his appearance/persona. He reminds me of an African warlord. His voice actor is clearly emphasizing an African accent, and his dress and behaviors are like that of a Samurai. I think the creators did this to emphasize the attitude of him being an "other" as well as part of an ancient civilization that everything else stems from. The way he completely redefines the prothean civilization is an excellent twist on what our expectations were and was a great piece of writing, which makes you even more mad that the en... Had to stop myself and follow my own rules.

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
I thought it was interesting overall, but having just got him I'm not really a fan of Javik. Firstly, he seems intent on making racist proclamations about every other species being inferior and primitive. He probably gets better, I just haven't gotten there yet.

I also found his title somewhat hilariously narm. Other elite members of the Protheans were chosen to chamption certain virtuous traits such as "bravery" or "cunning". Javik gets "vengeance" which is neither virtuous nor even a trait. I just kinda chuckled to myself picturing this Prothean who took himself too seriously so the higher-ups gave him some joke title to shut him up.

I haven't had a chance to use him yet, but I'll be even more disappointed if this elite militant 50,000 year old last hope of the advanced Prothean race isn't much more useful than James Meathead Vega.

But again, I could eat all these words later if he turns out to be more likable.

Kahldris71

Jun 1, 2011
Javik does become more likeable as the story progresses, he comes to respect Shepard and the crew of the Normandy in his own unique way. Lots of his commentary is great, especially when paired with Tail or Garrus.

Also i found his powers to be quite useful. I took him on every mission after i got him because i liked the way he vocalized his thoughts.

He does redefine all we know about the Protheans, from the benevolent enkindlers, to the the Galaxy wide Roman Empire.

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
I don't see why From Ashes got so much hatred. Javik is NOT ESSENTIAL to the story. All he does is add flavor to some of the dialogue, and give you some extra conversations. And I don't think it was added to the game, then sealed with a lock that only accepted a key made of money. They made the game, THEN they made the DLC. THAT'S HOW IT'S DONE.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
HeWhoFightsBosses said:
And I don't think it was added to the game, then sealed with a lock that only accepted a key made of money. They made the game, THEN they made the DLC. THAT'S HOW IT'S DONE.
The uproar about it was the files for it were already on the disk.

To follow your lead. They made the game, including Javik, but didn't get round to finishing it so added it as day 1 DLC.

And that is why people complained. Well, that and because people like to complain.

Me... I prefer to queue, i'm British, queue's are what we were born for.

On Topic.

I rarely used him. I stuck with Garrus and Liara outside missions that required certain characters.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I like him, although he was a bit of a jerk at first. And the things he said to Liara at the end...oh, you do not mess with my blue girlfriend, even if you are speaking the truth! I agree that he was much more flushed out than Kasumi or Zaeed. He was a fun character to have along for the ride, and his thoughts throughout the missions are different from others.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I thought it was good.

It was cool to see a new perspective on the protheans. The character was okay, he's basically the same Bioware character archetype as Sten. His interactions with the other crew members, Liara in particular, were great.

On the other hand, the mission was rather 'meh'. Also, I almost never used Javik in combat since he was suffering from a severe case of not being Garrus or Liara.